OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 05:11:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question re: Greek letter pronunciation...  (Read 1761 times)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: April 23, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »

I was wondering, since we pronounce the letter 'x' (chi?) with a hard c sound in XPISTOS, why not also in the word "Orthodox" or 'Maximos?"

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »

I was wondering, since we pronounce the letter 'x' (chi?) with a hard c sound in XPISTOS, why not also in the word "Orthodox" or 'Maximos?"

I think you are actually talking about two different Greek letters, one "khi" (χ) and the other "ksi" (ξ). "Khristos" has "khi," while "Orthodoks" and "Maksimos" have "ksi."

Love never fails.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:14:06 PM »

As Heorhij points out, "X" in Greek is more of a back-of-the-throat H sound (in-between a normal H and clearing your throat there is a point where this "X" - pronounced Hee - comes from), versus the x (ex) in english which is more of a "ks" sound and has a different letter in the Greek alphabet (the "ksi" which he demonstrates in his post above).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:34:20 PM »

Confusion cleared up!  Thanks y'all!  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »

Confusion cleared up!  Thanks y'all!  Wink

Glad we could be of service.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: