OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 02:54:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this monastery?  (Read 3075 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« on: October 27, 2003, 10:56:05 PM »

I found this on the OCA.org website as part of the news of the most recent Holy Synod meeting and was wondering if anyone had any more information of who this group is?

* Metropolitan Herman reported that he will receive the former Byzantine Rite Catholic Holy Protection Monastery, Miami, FL under his omophorion, with the full concurrence of the Holy Synod.

I figured this was the best Forum to post this under since according to this news the monastery use to be Catholic.

Joseph
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 11:34:58 PM »

All I know is that this monastery belonged to the Byzantine-Ruthenian Catholic Diocese of Passaic.  I have no idea of the date of its founding nor how many are in its monastic Brotherhood.

Another monastery in Washington, DC, went from the Unia to Orthodoxy, then back to the Unia.  I often wondered about that one.  Talk about confused minds!

Hypo-Ortho
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 01:14:59 AM »

http://www.byzcath.org/bboard/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001268

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 01:17:38 AM »

Hypo,

I know the now one remaining monk and his assistant the bookstore manager at Holy Cross. I can tell you they are not confused minds.  They knew exactly what they were doing in going back to the unia--they simply did not believe Orthodox ecclesiology, etc., and wanted to be consistent.

I would post the rest of the story but it would be hearsay and gossip.  Suffice it to say that the other monk the last time I checked had left the monastery totally and was even on leave of absense from the priesthood.  He was the confused one.  

I think the best thing to do is pray for them.  They still run an excellent book store.  Maybe some day they will become Orthodox again (doubtful) but hey, who knows.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 03:34:10 AM »

Arimethea,

The monks from that monastery visited our parish a few months ago.  I did not get a chance to talk with them, but most seemed to express joy in the prescence of God.  They had several young novices as well.  I'd like to visit them someday, but will probably wait a year or two.  There are other monasteries to visit beforehand.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 05:02:50 PM »

Hypo,

I know the now one remaining monk and his assistant the bookstore manager at Holy Cross. I can tell you they are not confused minds.  They knew exactly what they were doing in going back to the unia--they simply did not believe Orthodox ecclesiology, etc., and wanted to be consistent.

I would post the rest of the story but it would be hearsay and gossip.  Suffice it to say that the other monk the last time I checked had left the monastery totally and was even on leave of absense from the priesthood.  He was the confused one.  

I think the best thing to do is pray for them.  They still run an excellent book store.  Maybe some day they will become Orthodox again (doubtful) but hey, who knows.

Anastasios, I respect conversions if it be for a matter of sincere conscience.  But if one leaves the Unia, converts to Orthodoxy (i.e., the Truth) after, hopefully, thorough investigation, study and prayer, then apostacizes and goes back to the Uniate counterfeit of Orthodoxy, it seems to me that Orthodoxy was never understood by the monks to begin with (or else they thought of it as a matter of  simply changing jurisdictions and going to where they thought the grass was greener and not one of Faith).  I think the Holy Cross monks are better off remaining where they are in this case--any more changes on their part would scandalize both the Orthodox and Uniate faithful.  No judgments here, just an outsider's observation.

Hypo-Ortho
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 05:14:41 PM »

Hypo,

I'm sorry, I didn't express myself clearly.  The monk who left Holy Cross was the agitator in becoming Orthodox.  Then he wanted to return to the Unia.  The other monk and his assistant were never really "into" Orthodoxy anyway but went along with it.  About 1 year after they returned to the Unia the agitator monk left anyway.

I would agree, I don't think they ever really understood Orthodoxy, but also they never felt accepted by it either, from my personal conversations with them. Yet I don't think that's a reason to leave, but they had some very sad experiences.

anastasios

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 06:18:01 AM »

http://www.oca.org/pages/news/news.asp?ID=426
Former Byzantine Catholic Monastery received into Orthodox Faith

MIAMI, FL [OCA Communications] - His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman, received two monastic priests and three novices from the former Eastern Rite Catholic Monastery of the Holy Cross here into the Orthodox Faith during a visit October 27 and 28, 2003.

With the acceptance of the monastery and its brotherhood into the Orthodox Faith, the monastery was rededicated in honor of the Protection of the Virgin Mary.

In March 2003, Metropolitan Herman received a letter from Archimandrite Gregory [Wendt], the monastery’s abbot, requesting that the brotherhood be received into the Orthodox Church and that the monastery be accepted as a monastery of the Orthodox Church in America. For a number of years, the monastery was within the Ruthenian Byzantine Rite Catholic Eparchy of Passaic, NJ. In response to the petition, and with the concurrance of His Eminence, Archbishop Dmitri of Dallas and the South, Metropolitan Herman directed Protopresbyter Robert S. Kondratick and the Very Rev. David Brum to visit the monastery in April. They also visited Holy Cross Academy, a school serving over 300 students operated by the brotherhood, of which Archimandrite Gregory serves as headmaster and president. After conducting a thorough investigation of the monastery, its history, and its brotherhood, Fathers Kondratick and Brum reported that they saw no obstacles to accepting the community into the Orthodox Faith.

After careful scrutiny and further contact with Metropolitan Theodosius and members of the OCA’s Synodal Administration, members of the Holy Synod of Bishops, at their fall 2003 session, decided to receive the monastery and its brotherhood into the Orthodox Faith.

On October 27, Metropolitan Herman and His Grace, Bishop Mark, retired Bishop of Boston, were welcomed at the monastery by Archimandrite Gregory and the community. After a tour of the monastery grounds and a visit to the academy, the Very Rev. Philip Reese, rector of Miami’s Christ the Savior Cathedral, celebrated Vespers in the monastery chapel, which is adorned with unique frescoes depicting many of Christ’s miracles. During the following morning’s Divine Liturgy, Metropolitan Herman received Archimandrite Gregory and the Priestmonk Damian into the Orthodox Faith and tonsured two of the community’s three novices. Clergy and faithful from across the state participated in the Liturgy and reception and warmly welcomed the monastic brotherhood into the Faith.

Photos of Metropolitan Herman’s visit to the monastery may be found on the OCA web site at The Orthodox Church in America Receives Holy Protection Monastery.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 01:41:37 AM »

I first encountered this monastery in an article in Eastern Catholic Life about seven years ago and was impressed - they seemed to be both bearers of the Orthodox tradition (in a rare example in the Ruthenian Church) and engaging in a very Catholic active work as part of the conservative restoration among Catholics and witnessing to the larger world with their great-books academy.

I have no idea why this little community changed churches but here are a few observations.

I remember reading on the forum on which this news broke that the community is quite small - something like four monks. Seems petty to crow about the transfer of such a little group.

The school, it seems, has been officially nonsectarian for some time.

It seems based on the pictures that this monastery really loves the Orthodox tradition but decided it couldn't practise it to the fullest where it was and decided to connect with a church where it can.

A story that seems to repeat itself online with some regularity.

I'm not crowing mind - just an observation based on years of reading online fora and having made several friends by so doing.

It seems the monks are moving towards something more than they are running away from something else. So, whether they're right or wrong, it seems they deserve respect.

As for why they did it, again, this is a fair question.

Especially when one considers this.

Certainly if the Ruthenian Catholics take their fledgling experiments in Orthodox monasticism seriously, they should squarely face this latest challenge and perhaps realize their failings. Maybe if Catholics acted like this were true, in practice as well as in theory, this wouldn't have happened.

Of course the monks are still entirely Catholic according to this frame of reference, even if that's not exactly how the Eastern Orthodox communion sees itself.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 01:51:16 AM by Serge » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 02:47:25 PM »

Maybe there is a simpler explanation: the monks decided that Orthodoxy is true and wanted to be part of it.

anastasios

Byzantine Christian

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 12:55:56 AM »

Slava Isusu Christu!

What i have hurd from my friends at another Byzantine Catholic Monastery is that these Monks were not treated that well, so they were basically what you could say forced into Orthodoxy. Thats what i hear down the Great Vine.

In Christ

PS Im new
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 09:29:09 AM »

Holy Protection Monastery
http://www.orthodoxmonastery.com/index.html

I know they ended up moving to North Carolina and leaving the OCA.  What happened? 

username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 11:36:05 PM »

Resurrected after 11 years?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.