OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:18:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serbian Memorial Service Question  (Read 1313 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: April 22, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »

I was reading Irish Hermit's remark on another thread (Paganism within Orthodoxy) about wine being poured on the grave at a Serbian Memorial service. This was something new for me, and can someone explain to me why this is done?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:21:30 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »

The practise of pouring red wine over the grave is extreme ancient .Yes,it's pre-christian,and is still an important part of sinic confucian rite(澆奠、奠酒、獻爵禮),but at least in the christian east such doing is well accepted.
Till today,as far as I know,in Makedonia,Thrake,Skopia,many place of Serbia and Bulgaria,when priest read trisagion over the grave,people offer red wine ,and then priest pour it over the tomb in cross-form.
Other liturgical relic of this practise(pour wine over the tomb of Holy Martyrs)is kept in the service of consecration of an Agia Trapeza.The archiereys pours wine over it since it's tomb of martyr(s).
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »

There is relation with the consecration of a church in which the altar is washed with red wine.

Joseph
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:04:26 PM »

I was reading Irish Hermit's remark on another thread (Paganism within Orthodoxy) about wine being poured on the grave at a Serbian Memorial service. This was something new for me, and can someone explain to me why this is done?

At the Funeral of my Parents open casket in church..in part of the service, the body ia also blessed with wine instead of holy water,once the face is covered with a napkin...thats what happened to both parents...
Its from the Scripture when it taiks about vinyard..Or when the bishop blesses the people with the 3 and two candles
And says  like what my signature say..
Fr. can elaborate more on it..Its not Pagan though....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »

Cognac or brandy are also an acceptable source for this practice as well.   Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:18:10 PM »

Cognac or brandy are also an acceptable source for this practice as well.   Wink Grin

I never knew that...I Know they serve it after the service also slivovica...I'm curious is the wine kosher ,Manishevitz or Mogen David....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:04:21 PM »

The wine needs to be kosher, yet?? lol. I can humour this custom myself, but I can see it raising eyebrows amongst others...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:06:38 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »

The wine needs to be kosher, yet?? lol. I can humour this custom myself, but I can see it raising eyebrows amongst others...

I truly believe that it is kosher wine that is used by serbian clergy....of the two mentioned or both for funerals and memorial services only..
For Holy Communion im sure it has to be sulfite free pure wine only....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:19:21 PM by stashko » Logged

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 06:21:09 AM »

I never knew that...I Know they serve it after the service also slivovica...I'm curious is the wine kosher ,Manishevitz or Mogen David....

Those are honest to god the only 2 kinds of wine i've ever seen used for this.  Like I said, i've also seen Cognac and Brandy used as well.  Slivovitz was always around, but I never remember people really using it. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: