OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 10:47:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kneeling Prayers  (Read 2023 times) Average Rating: 0
falafel333
Elder

« on: April 21, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »

Christ is Risen, Truly He is Risen

Dear all, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on the kneeling prayers that are prayed on the Feast of Pentecost.

Are they referred to as kneeling prayers because the entire service is conducted while kneeling or because there are special kneeling prayers that are recited throughout this service or for any other reason.

Thanks
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:33:51 AM »

Christ is Risen, Truly He is Risen

Dear all, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on the kneeling prayers that are prayed on the Feast of Pentecost.

Are they referred to as kneeling prayers because the entire service is conducted while kneeling or because there are special kneeling prayers that are recited throughout this service or for any other reason.

Thanks

They are called kneeling prayers because we are directed to kneel when these prayers are said.  The priest or deacon will introduce them with "again and again on bended knee let us pray to the Lord."  The whole service is not a kneeling service per se, as it is a Vespers service with these prayers; however, it is frequently called "kneeling Vespers," simply because it is a Vespers service which also includes these "kneeling prayers."

Make sense?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:53:49 AM »

Pentecost prostrations are not supposed to be done until the Vespers that evening, which marks the beginning of Monday according to the liturgical day.  But since the presbyter knows that it is highly unlikely that anyone will come if he holds a service that evening, they usually do it immediately following Liturgy so that everyone does not miss out.  So it is against the rules, but no one seems to care that much.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:53:58 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:08:05 AM »

Isn't the Kneeling Done around The beginning of lent .The cannon of St ,Andrew....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:08:46 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:43:18 AM »

Pentecost prostrations are not supposed to be done until the Vespers that evening, which marks the beginning of Monday according to the liturgical day.

Which makes Pentecost the shortest day in the Liturgical year Smiley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »

Isn't the Kneeling Done around The beginning of lent .The cannon of St ,Andrew....

Many people will kneel during the Canon of St. Andrew of Crete (in fact, kneeling is quite encouraged at all services during weekdays of Great Lent); but the OP was asking about the Kneeling Prayers that are read at the Vespers after Pentecost.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »

Pentecost prostrations are not supposed to be done until the Vespers that evening, which marks the beginning of Monday according to the liturgical day.  But since the presbyter knows that it is highly unlikely that anyone will come if he holds a service that evening, they usually do it immediately following Liturgy so that everyone does not miss out.  So it is against the rules, but no one seems to care that much.

There are many churches that do not do the service immediately following Liturgy.  But I'd say that the practice of doing so isn't more "against the rules" than, say, doing a Vesperal Liturgy (of Basil or Gregory) in the morning (as is done Holy Monday through Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday).

---------------------
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:19:22 AM »

There are many churches that do not do the service immediately following Liturgy.  But I'd say that the practice of doing so isn't more "against the rules" than, say, doing a Vesperal Liturgy (of Basil or Gregory) in the morning (as is done Holy Monday through Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday).

If the history of other "special" Sunday vespers services is a guide in my parish, we'll adjourn for coffee hour and breakfast after liturgy (around 11:00am) and around 12:30 those of us who haven't left will head back into church for (an early) vespers. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »

If the history of other "special" Sunday vespers services is a guide in my parish, we'll adjourn for coffee hour and breakfast after liturgy (around 11:00am) and around 12:30 those of us who haven't left will head back into church for (an early) vespers.  

Sounds like a pretty good timeline; and gives an opportunity for people to get a bit of a rest before extending their Sunday Church experience (TM).

---------------------
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »

Good point!  It is interesting, in Bulgakov we see the practice in Russian and Ukraine of having Liturgy not served at its ordinary time, 9am, but moved later on Sunday so that the kneeling vespers could take place in the afternoon.  Of course, doing this means that you sacrifice doing Liturgy at the time of the descent of the Holy Spirit--the 3rd hour of the day (9am).  It also means that you make a feast day into a fast day.  Is better, perhaps, to start Monday of Holy Spirit early than to make Pentecost into a fast day.   
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

Sounds like a pretty good timeline; and gives an opportunity for people to get a bit of a rest before extending their Sunday Church experience (TM).

I agree
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: