OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:53:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Anyone Else Noticed a Strong Roman Catholic Influence on this Forum?  (Read 12311 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »

It's funny, you can find references to our site elsewhere on the net where people talk about how anti-Catholic we are...guess "anti" and "influence" are in the eyes of the beholder.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:04 PM »

The Catholics are using mind control on me.  They do that.  Probably Jesuits.

One just commanded me to eat more of my kids Easter candy.

Where will it end.

http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/a122.htm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:48:16 PM by AMM » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 12:09:16 AM »

It's funny, you can find references to our site elsewhere on the net where people talk about how anti-Catholic we are...guess "anti" and "influence" are in the eyes of the beholder.

Indeed. People will project whatever they want.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »

I've been here long enough to have seen a few things.  Traditionalists claiming that this site is too liberal...  Liberals claiming that this site is too traditionalist...  Greeks complaining of a Slavic bias...  Slavs complaining of a Greek bias...  Catholics griping that we're too anti-Catholic...  One thing I have not seen until today, though, is someone claiming that this Orthodox forum is too heavily influenced by Roman Catholics.  That's a new one for me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:32:04 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 12:36:59 AM »

I really don't know how allowing Catholics to speak their minds and debate back and forth with us is a "strong catholic influence". Care to explain Douglas?

Sure. When I looked for an Orthodox forum on which to discuss things pertaining to the Orthodox Church, I believed that this forum might fill that need. But in the few weeks I've been a member here, I see several posters who appear to have very strong personalities and act as Roman Catholic apologists in a number of threads. I've no objection to Roman Catholics asking questions (in the appropriate folders) and debating points of theology (which is not my cup of tea since I see it as a colossal waste of time... I'm not much of an ecumenist, I'm afraid). But I have an issue when threads are begun in the non-debating areas of the forum (some by Orthodox members) that involve Catholic theology (i.e. the recent discussion of the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy, the appropriateness of our praying the rosary.. to name two). I've no interest in praying a rosary nor in praying the chaplet of Divine Mercy. If I had, I'd be Roman Catholic. They're non-issues for me. Granted, as I posted elsewhere, there's not much theologically wrong with them BUT then again... there's not much wrong with hi-lighting my bible, singing evangelical songs of worship, spinning a Tibetan prayer wheel and so forth. However, I've no need for these things since I have the banquet supplied by the Holy Orthodox Faith. Some Orthodox members here want to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for whatever reason... no doubt encouraged by the Catholic members. I say, why have a Twinkie when you can have a full-course meal in Orthodox devotions? And why are these Catholic items even being raised? Isn't there enough Orthodox fodder for discussion without our trying to incorporate Catholic theology, Catholic devotions, Catholic practices? I fail to understand how this is going to assist me in my Orthodox life and in my spiritual journey.

I know... it's not the politically correct thing to actually put words to this but then, I'm not politically correct. I make no apologies for being in love with the Orthodox Church. It is the "right" worship and the "right" belief... period. I don't need to add any other devotions nor make any changes in her theology (i.e. change our view of original sin, change our view of papal infallibility, try and better understand the filioque and the new word games being played by Catholic spin-meisters).

So... yes, I believe there is a strong Catholic influence on this forum and it both surprises and distresses me to a degree.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 12:40:27 AM »

Well, you caught me.  I am switching to Orthodoxy to tear down the machine from the inside.  Go Pope!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 01:01:26 AM »

But I have an issue when threads are begun in the non-debating areas of the forum (some by Orthodox members) that involve Catholic theology (i.e. the recent discussion of the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy, the appropriateness of our praying the rosary.. to name two).
The recent discussion of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy was started by a Protestant considering conversion to Orthodoxy, which totally fits the purpose of the Convert Issues forum.  The fact that an Orthodox poster with sympathies toward Catholic spiritual practices hijacked the thread doesn't change that.

As far as the thread on the appropriateness of Orthodox praying the Rosary:  That thread was actually started in the Orthodox-Catholic Discussion board where such a discussion of the topic should have been started.  Please note that the OP also asked whether the Rosary is used in Orthodox churches of the Western Rites.  I fail to see how this is inappropriate for where the thread is located.

Can you give us examples of discussions of Catholic doctrines and practices located outside the Orthodox-Catholic or Orthodox-Other Christian boards?  I know of a thread on the Immaculate Conception in Faith Issues, but I've been very careful to regulate that thread to make sure it remains focused solely on discussing an Orthodox Christian response to the Immaculate Conception.  So, other than that, any examples?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 01:16:25 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily say there's a strong Roman Catholic influence per se.  I do feel that there is a seemingly strong catechetical deficiency among a great many Eastern Orthodox Christians (and I most definitely place myself in that category).  As regarding the OP, I think there are several ways to look at it.  First, there are Roman Catholic posters here who, quite naturally, will defend their beliefs if and when they are misunderstood or presented falsely.  In fairness, the moderators allow them to give their input as much as possible.  Secondly, there are those who have come from a Roman Catholic background and who still have a degree of devotion to the traditions they grew up with.  This is natural.  But it is also something they might struggle with as well and are simply voicing their thoughts in an effort to work it out.  In addition, as long as they are not proselytizing here, the matter is probably best left to them and their spiritual father.  

In a not so off-topic side note, I am deeply troubled by the swipes we take at each other.  The snarky, hurtful comments we make (and I am just as guilty of this!) towards one another is only to our shame and is far more dangerous than any Roman Catholic influence, imo.  Undecided  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 03:37:08 AM »

I don't understand why people think this forum is not on the LEVEL. We have always been SQUARE with people. No secret philosophy COMPASSES us. All this searching for conspiracies is as self destructive as a SNAKE SWALLOWING ITS OWN TAIL.
EORGE
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:04:00 AM by FrChris » Logged

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2009, 03:38:02 AM »

When you come to think of it, Orthodoxy (especially Orthodoxy found online) often seems to find itself concerned with Catholicism. Even in real-life Orthodoxy, EO Christians frequently find themselves in acrimonious debate about the Catholic Church. I would say that interaction with and reaction to Catholicism make up one of the chief influences on Orthodox theological discourse over the past 4 or 5 centuries. So when you come to think of it, I don't think frequent talk about Orthodoxy as related to or against Catholicism is unusual for this board.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »

When you come to think of it, Orthodoxy (especially Orthodoxy found online) often seems to find itself concerned with.

I think there's an inferiority complex at work which explains the insecurity exhibited.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000806_dominus-iesus_en.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:58:44 AM by AMM » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2009, 09:04:23 AM »

I don't care what Catholics believe. Never was one, nor was any member of my family for the past four generations. And we're Irish.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2009, 09:37:15 AM »

...an Orthodox poster with sympathies toward Catholic spiritual practices...
What could have given anyone that idea?  Wink
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2009, 09:52:47 AM »

I don't understand why people think this forum is not on the LEVEL. We have always been SQUARE with people. No secret philosophy COMPASSES us. All this searching for conspiracies is as self destructive as a SNAKE SWALLOWING ITS OWN TAIL.
EORGE

Now that's comedy!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »

EORGE

Now that's comedy!

All of the Georges on this board are in contention for the lead roll in National Treasure 3.

-Nick
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:01:30 AM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2009, 10:02:08 AM »

EORGE

Post of the Month Nominee!  Cheesy

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2009, 10:07:36 AM »

I really don't know how allowing Catholics to speak their minds and debate back and forth with us is a "strong catholic influence". Care to explain Douglas?

Sure. When I looked for an Orthodox forum on which to discuss things pertaining to the Orthodox Church, I believed that this forum might fill that need. But in the few weeks I've been a member here, I see several posters who appear to have very strong personalities and act as Roman Catholic apologists in a number of threads. I've no objection to Roman Catholics asking questions (in the appropriate folders) and debating points of theology (which is not my cup of tea since I see it as a colossal waste of time... I'm not much of an ecumenist, I'm afraid). But I have an issue when threads are begun in the non-debating areas of the forum (some by Orthodox members) that involve Catholic theology (i.e. the recent discussion of the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy, the appropriateness of our praying the rosary.. to name two). I've no interest in praying a rosary nor in praying the chaplet of Divine Mercy. If I had, I'd be Roman Catholic. They're non-issues for me. Granted, as I posted elsewhere, there's not much theologically wrong with them BUT then again... there's not much wrong with hi-lighting my bible, singing evangelical songs of worship, spinning a Tibetan prayer wheel and so forth. However, I've no need for these things since I have the banquet supplied by the Holy Orthodox Faith. Some Orthodox members here want to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for whatever reason... no doubt encouraged by the Catholic members. I say, why have a Twinkie when you can have a full-course meal in Orthodox devotions? And why are these Catholic items even being raised? Isn't there enough Orthodox fodder for discussion without our trying to incorporate Catholic theology, Catholic devotions, Catholic practices? I fail to understand how this is going to assist me in my Orthodox life and in my spiritual journey.

I know... it's not the politically correct thing to actually put words to this but then, I'm not politically correct. I make no apologies for being in love with the Orthodox Church. It is the "right" worship and the "right" belief... period. I don't need to add any other devotions nor make any changes in her theology (i.e. change our view of original sin, change our view of papal infallibility, try and better understand the filioque and the new word games being played by Catholic spin-meisters).

So... yes, I believe there is a strong Catholic influence on this forum and it both surprises and distresses me to a degree.

I really take issue with what I think you are saying (unless I misunderstand you).

On the issues, I agree with you: there is no point in engaging in non-Orthodox practices.  And saying there is no spiritual benefit to praying the Rosary for an Orthodox is not a violation of "political correctness."  There are several people on this forum who routinely say exactly this type of thing.

What I take issue with is your saying, "why are these issues being raised on an Orthodox forum?" I don't know you so I don't know how wide and broad your exposure is to Orthodox people, cultures, and parishes, clergy, etc.  I consider that I have a lot of broad exposure. And this may shock you, but I find that most average Orthodox people have some exposure and some interest in non-Orthodox devotions and customs, whether they be Roman Catholic, Protestant, New Age, self-help, or Muslim.  So the debate and discussion you see here is quite reflective of the real world Orthodox experience.  So it may not be an issue for YOU, but it sure is an issue for a lot of people.

Now, it's my hope that this site can be educative, and I think that there are many Orthodox people who are able to offer theological and historical reasons as to why we should not engage in such things.  Maybe I am reading your complaint wrong, but are you suggesting we should not let people ask questions like this at all? That if they get asked, we should do what, punish people? Shut them down? Delete their posts? Tell them "Orthodox people don't do this, and you can't even talk about it?"  What exactly are you suggesting?

As far as these strong Roman Catholic apologists, at least two of them have been moderated numerous times when they cross the line. So I am not sure how our moderation is not working as it should.  Why do we let Catholics post here? Because of fairness, and because we want to bring people in to our "house."  Anecdotal evidence suggests we have made several converts from this site btw.

If someone is looking for a place to basically get information about Orthodoxy that does not involve tough questions and discussions, they could go to orthodoxinfo.com or one of the diocesan websites. But this is a forum, and as such, you are going to find people with honest questions, and they are going to disagree about the answer sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:10:50 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »

Thanks for the information, Father. Obviously I was wrong in my assessment of the forum in that I did not truly understand the purpose of the forum nor did I take the time to educate myself on the religious affiliation of some of the posting members here. Of course people should be free to ask questions and join in discussion (which has to be a two-way street if it is to be worthwhile). My perceptions, it would appear, were wrong. I do, however, stand by my contention that the Catholic practices being advocated for Orthodox members, are for the most part a non-issue (for most Orthodox Christians at least). But that is another story entirely. I'll try and be more circumspect in the future.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2009, 03:05:53 PM »

Thanks for the information, Father. Obviously I was wrong in my assessment of the forum in that I did not truly understand the purpose of the forum nor did I take the time to educate myself on the religious affiliation of some of the posting members here. Of course people should be free to ask questions and join in discussion (which has to be a two-way street if it is to be worthwhile). My perceptions, it would appear, were wrong. I do, however, stand by my contention that the Catholic practices being advocated for Orthodox members, are for the most part a non-issue (for most Orthodox Christians at least). But that is another story entirely. I'll try and be more circumspect in the future.

I can understand "where you're coming from". Often topic are opened by an RC member which are specific to an RC practice or belief and I wonder, "Why here?" At other times the topic is begun by an Orthodox member and I don't automatically ask, "Why here?"  Undecided ISTM that being less 'ecumenical' would take us down the CAF road to membership purges, useless propaganda, paranoia, and close-mindedness. I prefer what we have here now. Besides, I'm quite fond of several RC members here.  Smiley

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »

Douglas,

When ostensibly Orthodox posters recommend non-Orthodox things for Orthodox consumption, I must admit that I am bothered as well, and if someone is actively pushing a non-Orthodox agenda, I believe this is fair game for "report to moderator."

In Christ,

Fr Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2009, 04:42:22 PM »

I can understand the Orthodox posters here who say, "Why?" rather than "Why not?" with regard to adopting Catholic devotions. Of course, every person is different, and to each his own for his spiritual benefit. But both Catholicism and Orthodoxy are ancient churches with an overwhelming array of rich spiritual traditions---why venture into someone else's territory when there is so much you have not experienced in your own? (I know, I should talk---I've been to other countries but have never ventured west of Chicago in America!  Smiley ).

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »

EORGE

I don't buy this above for a second ..As Orthodox Lurker Has pointed out And i Agree 100%, Traditional Orthodox Voices Are Being Strangled subdued Here ... We have a few martyrs here him being one and others...Pray for us all ye new Martyrs....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »

New Martyrs of the Internet.  Interesting.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »

I've been here long enough to have seen a few things.  Traditionalists claiming that this site is too liberal...  Liberals claiming that this site is too traditionalist...  Greeks complaining of a Slavic bias...  Slavs complaining of a Greek bias...  Catholics griping that we're too anti-Catholic...  One thing I have not seen until today, though, is someone claiming that this Orthodox forum is too heavily influenced by Roman Catholics.  That's a new one for me.

Cheesy

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cosmos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »

Now, it's my hope that this site can be educative....but are you suggesting we should not let people ask questions like this at all? That if they get asked, we should do what, punish people? Shut them down? Delete their posts? Tell them "Orthodox people don't do this, and you can't even talk about it?"  What exactly are you suggesting?

Greetings to All ~

I agree with Fr. Anastasios wholeheartedly.

Many of you here may already know from firsthand experience, that there are other forums out there that regularly do use all of the above listed sanctions as a normal course. As well meaning as such censorship may be in behalf of their own proprietary religious views and opinions, the moderators and administrators of such forums seem unnecessarily heavy handed and harsh in their actions.

By direct comparison, this forum is extraordinarily gracious in its tolerance of the varying beliefs and practices professed by fervent non-Orthodox Christians here, and is to be applauded for its patient forbearance and Christian charity in this regard, rather than criticized or condemned for such, IMO.  Wink

Peace and Light in the Love of Christ!

+Cosmos

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
AMM
Archon

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2009, 10:22:19 PM »

I just found more, this is spreading.  I don't want to suggest panic, but I think it's called for.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »

New Martyrs of the Internet.  Interesting.

Its a virtual martyrdom.
You virtually don't even have to practice Christianity to attain it, and your reward is admittance to Level 3.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »

Good grief, Roman Catholics here...really ?

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »

You haven't heard?  They're everywhere.  See this story from the news.

http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/NYIrishList/nastcartoon.jpg
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2009, 11:27:37 PM »

Dern mitergators...Katrina stirred them up from da swamps

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2009, 01:51:08 PM »

EORGE

Lucky for me that I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this or I'd be reading through a tinted screen.   Grin

Nice one.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »

and other sorts as well 

<cue ominous music such as the shark theme from Jaws>
 Wink

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »

Don't forget us Roman/Byzantine/Greek/Ruthenian Catholics!  laugh

Douglas, thank you!  I have always assumed this forum had a slight anti-Catholic bias.  But now that I know the truth, I can join my compadres and take over!  Grin  Wink

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »

Don't forget us Roman/Byzantine/Greek/Ruthenian Catholics!  laugh

Douglas, thank you!  I have always assumed this forum had a slight anti-Catholic bias.  But now that I know the truth, I can join my compadres and take over!  Grin  Wink
To Arms! To Arms! lol

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2009, 09:15:14 PM »

I'm done with this one, back to the Beer Advocate...

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2009, 10:13:55 PM »

You know, at first I thought the OP was one of paranoia.  Now?  I'm starting to wonder.  Not that it's the RC's who are questionable, but some of our (supposedly) very own.  We have a few folks here who are almost demanding that the EO acquiesce to certain RC practices after they've asked for and gotten the EO viewpoint.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »

You know, at first I thought the OP was one of paranoia.  Now?  I'm starting to wonder.  Not that it's the RC's who are questionable, but some of our (supposedly) very own.  We have a few folks here who are almost demanding that the EO acquiesce to certain RC practices after they've asked for and gotten the EO viewpoint.
I think I might know what you're talking about, but could you please clarify? Huh
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2009, 12:02:33 AM »

Rosaries and cilices and hairshirts ... oh my!

Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »

I wouldn't push the ticket here, Gabriel. You'll come under the same scrutiny and accusations of paranoia as I if you do.  Wink

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2009, 12:51:14 AM »

Rosaries and cilices and hairshirts ... oh my!
Yeah, that's what I thought you were talking about.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »

I'm confused; I just went and read through all those threads you are talking about, and I noticed that you didn't seem too upset with the Rosary in that thread. So what exactly is your concern?

I see basically one guy (PoorFoolNicholas) who is asking a lot of questions about Western devotions, and I see AMM, who is from a Carpatho-Rusyn background where there is still heavy use of RC devotions even in Orthodox parishes, supporting these devotions, in his usual edgy/curmudgeon type way; and I see Papist explaining the history of these devotions, and I see the young fogey, who has always been a part of this forum and has always espoused a kind of practical ecumenism between EO and RC, and I see Douglas arguing against them (and I joined in the fray now contra).  So which folks are demanding that EO start using Western devotions? And how is this becoming an RC influence? What does that even mean?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:38:59 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »

I wouldn't push the ticket here, Gabriel. You'll come under the same scrutiny and accusations of paranoia as I if you do.  Wink

That's what happens when you make an accusation, express a concern, or make a complaint: people discuss it. It is a forum after all.  Cool
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:43:12 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »

I'm confused; I just went and read through all those threads you are talking about, and I noticed that you didn't seem too upset with the Rosary in that thread. So what exactly is your concern?

I see basically one guy (PoorFoolNicholas) who is asking a lot of questions about Western devotions, and I see AMM, who is from a Carpatho-Rusyn background where there is still heavy use of RC devotions even in Orthodox parishes, supporting these devotions, in his usual edgy/curmudgeon type way; and I see Papist explaining the history of these devotions, and I see the young fogey, who has always been a part of this forum and has always espoused a kind of practical ecumenism between EO and RC, and I see Douglas arguing against them (and I joined in the fray now contra).  So which folks are demanding that EO start using Western devotions? And how is this becoming an RC influence? What does that even mean?
I'm rather interested in what this "heavy use of RC devotions" might be in the CR Orthodox parishes - both OCA and ACROD.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »

I'm rather interested in what this "heavy use of RC devotions" might be in the CR Orthodox parishes - both OCA and ACROD.

Well, I once assisted in the choir at an OCA church, and the director asked us (the other choir folk) which version of the Creed we'd like to do.

Naturally, being the revolutionary type, I shot up my hand and said, "Let's do the one with the Filioque in it!"

Last time I assisted at that particular choir ...  Grin  Cheesy  laugh

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2009, 02:54:35 PM »

Well, I once assisted in the choir at an OCA church, and the director asked us (the other choir folk) which version of the Creed we'd like to do.

Naturally, being the revolutionary type, I shot up my hand and said, "Let's do the one with the Filioque in it!"

Last time I assisted at that particular choir ...  Grin  Cheesy  laugh
That's hilarious. Did you say it out natural compulsion or did you say it as a joke?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: