OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:56:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Anyone Else Noticed a Strong Roman Catholic Influence on this Forum?  (Read 13444 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: April 21, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »

... and quite frankly, I don't understand the strong Roman Catholic influence on this entire forum which I had thought was an Orthodox forum.
Really? Huh  I find this statement quite intriguing, particularly since I've not noticed such an RC influence on our forum in the 3+ years I've been here, the last two of which I've even spent reviewing posts as a moderator.  Would you care to elaborate on what you see as this RC influence so we can see it for ourselves?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 03:55:13 PM »

At one time my attitude here was not the best but now I am genuinely trying to understand Eastern Orthodoxy on its own terms (although I have no intentions of converting) and I desire to learn more about the similarities and differences between Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism. Further, I would like to help correct any misunderstandings about Catholicism that are floating around but I have no intention of trying to convert anyone.
That all being said, is that the kind of Catholic influence that is being spoken of?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:01:08 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »

Perhaps it's just the sheer presence of our resident Roman Catholics who are apparently allowed to actually post on here in violation of some obscure and very ancient Orthodox canon Wink

Or perhaps it's the forum's general policy to discourage outright caricatures of Roman Catholic doctrine?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »

I really don't know how allowing Catholics to speak their minds and debate back and forth with us is a "strong catholic influence". Care to explain Douglas?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »

Roman Catolics allowed to speak their minds openly?? IS OUTRAGE!
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »

I always considered myslef a Mild Greek Catholic Presence Grin

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »

Theres a strong roman catholic influence? In the forum for discussions between orthodox and RCs then I would probably agree.... On the board as a whole...... I haven't seen it in the 3 years I've been here.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

I've noticed only two Catholic active members: Deacon Lance and Papist. I really appreciate their contribution to the forum.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »

I think Papist might be Roman Catholic.  I'm not sure though.  It's just a hunch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »

I've noticed only two Catholic active members: Deacon Lance and Papist. I really appreciate their contribution to the forum.
Don't forget lubeltri.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »

I think Papist might be Roman Catholic.  I'm not sure though.  It's just a hunch.

Nah, I think he's a Copt.  You know, the ones with the other Pope.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:22:16 PM by Veniamin » Logged

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »

Don't forget lubeltri.

Oh, yes, he also posts quite often but not as often as that two.

Nah, I think he's a Copt.

Coptic Catholic Church's member? He might be.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:17:46 PM by mike » Logged
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »

What you perceive is the Hidden Leadership of the Illuminati. It's long been obvious that this forum is really an organ for achieving the New World Order.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 04:21:35 PM »

What you perceive is the Hidden Leadership of the Illuminati. It's long been obvious that this forum is really an organ for achieving the New World Order.

And shaved Priests in every parish!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:22:28 PM by mike » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »

Reallllllllly? What gave it away?  Wink

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »

Luberti, Deacon Lance, and I are hear armed to teeth with razors, prepared to shave every Orthodox beard we see!!! Hehe. You have found us out!  Cheesy

rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 04:49:43 PM »

Luberti, Deacon Lance, and I are hear armed to teeth with razors, prepared to shave every Orthodox beard we see!!! Hehe. You have found us out!  Cheesy

I've seen more than a few bearded Byzantines, friend.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
AMM
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »

Reallllllllly? What gave it away?  Wink

Just a shot in the dark.

As for this supposed "influence", I'm not seeing it.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »

Nah, I think he's a Copt.  You know, the ones with the other Pope.

We have one of those too, don't forget  Wink
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »

Can't say I've noticed this influence myself. Unless you count the times I've asked questions about RCism or something. Does that count? Surely it's okay to ask questions once in awhile...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
AMM
Archon

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 05:33:06 PM »

I can't see what there would be wrong with asking questions.

I

http://www.newadvent.org/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:33:51 PM by AMM » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »

Now, was that really necessary? Huh And, btw, for some reason I thought you, AMM, were Orthodox Christian, but now I see you are RC! Shocked You learn something new every day...whew...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 06:07:57 PM »

I never noticed any "strong Roman Catholic influence" on this forum. The two Roman Catholics who often post here, Luberti and Papist, and one Roman Catholic who is in the process of conversion to Orthodoxy, Carole, are very knowledgeable in their doctrine and nice, polite community members. They were never hostile to me because I'm Orthodox, and I never noticed them being aggressively anti-Orthodox. The same can be said about our now Orthodox brother Schulz when he was an Eastern Rite Catholic, and about Deacon Lance.

Love never fails.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »

I'm a member of a Roman Catholic parish, but I doubt I've contributed to the aforementioned 'influence'.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:50:07 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 07:15:51 PM »

I'm a member of a Roman Catholic parish, but I doubt I've contributed to the aforementioned 'influence'.

Not to my knowledge. Actually, I have always thought that you were Orthodox. Smiley

Love never fails.
truthstalker

Faith: Evangelical Presbyterian

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »

What about me? Huh? Huh? Am I the ONLY Evangelical Presbyterian? Do I get to exert a strong Evangelical Presbysterian presence? Remember EP stands for Evangelical Presbyterian, not something else.

Am I right?

Right!
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »

Not to my knowledge. Actually, I have always thought that you were Orthodox. Smiley

Well, at least in America, one can be a member of a Catholic parish, without actually being Catholic. (In other words, I don't receive Communion in the parish.) angel

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »

I noticed it for sure ..  the new calendar believers here seem to be more ecumenically minded, and open to roman catholics and don't see a great gulf in difference.....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »

I noticed it for sure ..  the new calendar believers here seem to be more ecumenically minded, and open to roman catholics and don't see a great gulf in difference.....
I have horns too stashko!!!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »

And yes, I do understand the differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism. That is WHY I'm Orthodox and not a Catholic. Just throwing it out there.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »

I haven't noticed any such RC influence and I've been here a long time.

(I'm tempted to ask if I'm falling down on the job with there being no "strong Anglican influence"   Grin  But I'll be good. )

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »

And, btw, for some reason I thought you, AMM, were Orthodox Christian

I am, I think you have me confused with somebody else.

http://www.americancatholic.org/UpdateYourFaith/default.asp
http://www.vatican.va/
http://www.ecatholic2000.com/rcia/rcia.shtml
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:10:37 PM by AMM » Logged
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 08:11:15 PM »

Shenanigans.  Just because we don't go out of our way to vent hatred for Catholics every chance we get doesn't mean we don't see a great gulf of difference.  Maybe we just find it more productive to focus on our own repentance than to focus on telling Catholics they're going to hell.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
AMM
Archon

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »

Maybe we just find it more productive to focus on our own repentance than to focus on telling Catholics they're going to hell.

I agree, there are more important things to focus on.  Like letting people on the Revised Julian Calendar know they're headed for a hot place too.

http://credo.stormloader.com/endbyzan.htm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:21:51 PM by AMM » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »

I'm guilty in that I do not think that there is vast gulf between us and the Roman Catholics or other Christians. I believe that the gulf between the old and new calendarists is so minute that you can barely pass a human hair between them. At the same time, the gulf between us and the sects, whether or not they call themselves Christian, is indeed vast. Finally, I am ecumenically minded only in the sense that I can love and appreciate fellow Christians without agreeing with them or consenting to false unions.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »

Maybe we just find it more productive to focus on our own repentance than to focus on telling Catholics they're going to hell.

I agree, there are more important things to focus on.  Like letting people on the Revised Julian Calendar know they're headed for a hot place too.

Ha, love it!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »

You sure like to stir the pot, don't you? A man after my heart but the referenced book is a bit too much. Funny, but over the top.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 08:50:36 PM »

Shenanigans.  Just because we don't go out of our way to vent hatred for Catholics every chance we get doesn't mean we don't see a great gulf of difference.  Maybe we just find it more productive to focus on our own repentance than to focus on telling Catholics they're going to hell.

According to Holy Traditional Orthodoxy, once the separated from the arch of salvation the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church they lost it ,their Apostolic Succession, Their clergy and there Pope are just Lay people masquerading as clergy...

When has this changed among the Orthodox churches that the catholic church is a real church with real clergy and true apostolic succession....Was it When The Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras lifted the excommunication with the Pope of Rome,,
Thank God Almighty the Ecumenical Patriarch doesn't represent all the traditional orthodox Churches...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:52:56 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »

... and quite frankly, I don't understand the strong Roman Catholic influence on this entire forum which I had thought was an Orthodox forum.

Me too, but I discovered it was my illusion, so I got over it.

I am not sure we have the same in mind, but I am not absolutely sure it's Roman Catholic influence, but a strong anti-Orthodox influence for sure.

If it is Roman Catholic, then I guess it is probably Jesuits. Malice against Orthodox voices here is quite strong, and they persistently try to strangle such voices.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »

Perhaps it's just the sheer presence of our resident Roman Catholics who are apparently allowed to actually post on here in violation of some obscure and very ancient Orthodox canon Wink

Or perhaps it's the forum's general policy to discourage outright caricatures of Roman Catholic doctrine?

Why be confused by the facts?  LOL.

How do you sharpen iron?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »

I'm active too, just under Moderated status. Thus I do not post as much as I used to, though I still read daily.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »

ROFL!  Cheesy

Incidentally, Ron Howard wrote an article this week insisting that we Catholics will like his movie!
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »

Now, was that really necessary? Huh And, btw, for some reason I thought you, AMM, were Orthodox Christian, but now I see you are RC! Shocked You learn something new every day...whew...

Not just RC, but uber-RC. If you notice, he's got a photo of Blessed Pius IX under his name.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »

Well, at least in America, one can be a member of a Catholic parish, without actually being Catholic.

Yes, in America, we have plenty of those!
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »

Not just RC, but uber-RC. If you notice, he's got a photo of Blessed Pius IX under his name.

Then, if it is so, why does he tell me he is Orthodox Christian? Undecided I for some reason never noticed that avatar before, unless it is a new addition?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:00:53 PM by Rosehip » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: