OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:49:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with refuting a website  (Read 1121 times) Average Rating: 0
savic11

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« on: June 04, 2009, 12:48:50 AM »

This is my first post, so if I have done anything wrong please correct me. A friend of mine recently left Orthodoxy to become some sort of born again Christian and he basis his faith through the website jesus-is-savior.com. The website is ridiculous and it is hateful towards all religions (including Orthodoxy). So im asking what is it the best way to refute the claims on this website, I will provide the link so if anyone can help, thank you in advance.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Russian_Orthodox/ro-idolatry.htm

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:55:42 AM »

Folks, didn't we debunk this very website not too long ago?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:59:02 AM »

First off, savic11, welcome to the forum. Grin  No, you haven't done anything wrong.

As to your question of how to refute this web site:  My initial thought, having read the page you cited on Russian Orthodoxy, is that the web site offers such a grossly distorted picture of anything the site's authors disagree with and relies so much on emotive images and so little on intelligent textual discourse that it's virtually self-refuting.  Why anyone even takes it seriously is beyond my comprehension.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:03:02 AM »

Folks, didn't we debunk this very website not too long ago?
Yes, we did.  Here's the thread:  Arguments against Orthodoxy, please disprove!
savic11

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 01:10:04 AM »

Thanks brothers, i was unaware of the thread because i did a search about that website and nothing came up. I'm happy for the quick responses. Thank you
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:10:47 AM »

As to your question of how to refute this web site:  My initial thought, having read the page you cited on Russian Orthodoxy, is that the web site offers such a grossly distorted picture of anything the site's authors disagree with and relies so much on emotive images and so little on intelligent textual discourse that it's virtually self-refuting.

For example, they, on one hand, belief that Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism are one and the same thing, but on the other hand, they seem to treat Russian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox as completely distinct entities.

Our Life in Christ (http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/ourlife, http://www.ourlifeinchrist.com/archives.htm) - a great podcast which refutes probably all the accusations raised by Jesus-is-the-Savior.com.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »

savic11,

Welcome to the forum.  It's good to have you.

Yes, we have already had a thorough debunking of that particular website on this board, but it is still dangerous as indicated by how it lured your friend away from the faith.  It is rooted in fear and hate and, unfortunately, that resonates with a lot of people more than love and compassion.  I hope that your friend comes to his senses.  It may take time.  Good luck and, again, welcome.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
savic11

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:24:45 AM »

Thank you for the welcome, I truly believe he will come back to the faith, but since i am just seriously beginning to read the scriptures, it is hard for me to debate. The website is dangerous and anyone can tell it is made by a fool, even by the layout. I am happy to be a member here. The previous thread about that website explained so much, I am grateful to have found this site. Thanks again.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 07:31:40 AM »

Hi Savic11, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, I know, it hurts to see someone whom you know turn away from the Orthodox faith under the influence of purely emotional, irrational heresies that ignore all history and distort things... Just a short while ago, I wrote to this forum about one of my former students who was raised Methodist and then consciously, as a young adult, converted to Orthodoxy - but then, being in the U.S. army, fell victim of some Charismatic, Pentecostal-like group with their roaring electric guitars, shaking hands in the air, etc. She still is with that group, and I doubt that right now it would help if I or someone else tried to "re-convert" her by "debating" Pentecostalism and "dispelling" the heresies she is "charmed" with... Perhaps people like her, and maybe like your friend, should be given some time so that they would come to their senses on their own.

On the other hand, of course, do make use of the links people generously provided above.

Welcome again, good to have you on board!

George

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:32:24 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Tags: jesus-is-savior.com 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: