Author Topic: Jurisdictional Disunity and the Russian Mission  (Read 34734 times)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Jurisdictional Disunity and the Russian Mission
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »
It seems that according to the state of New York, there was no Orthodox jurisdictional disunity, at least from October 1, 1895, when its Religious Corporations Law took effect (sect. 111), which states in pertinent part:
The Religious Corporations Law
Aritcle III
Special Provisions for the Incorporation and Government of Roman Catholic and Greek Churches-…an unincorporated Christian Orthodox Catholic church of the Eastern Confession, in this state may become incorporated as a church by executing, acknowleding and filing a certificate of incorporation…A certificate of incorporation of an unincorporated Christian Orthodox Catholic church of the eastern confession shall be executed and acknowledged by the envoy extraordinary and minister plenipotentiary, and by the consul-general of Russia to the United States, then acknowledged and received as such by the United States. On filing such certificate such church shall be a corporateion by the name stated in the certificate.
sect. 51. Government of incorporated Roman Catholic and Greek churches-…The envoy extraordinary and minister plenipoteniary, and the consul-general of Russia to the United States, acknowledged and received as such, and their successors in office shall, by virtue of office, be the trustees of every incorporated Christian Orthodox Catholic church of the Eastern Confession in this state. The trustees of any such church shall have power to fix and change the salary of the rector and his assitant, appointed or commissioned according to the rules and usages of the denomination to which such church belongs.”
Revised Statutes Codes and General Laws of the State of New York, 2nd ed., vol. 3 (1896)
http://books.google.com/books?id=uoQ4AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA2705&dq=%22A+certificate+of+incorporation+of+an+unincorporated+Christian+Orthodox+Catholic+church+of+the+eastern+confession+shall+be+executed+and+acknowledged+by+the+envoy+extraordinary+and+minister+plenipotentiary,+and+by+the+consul-general+of+Russia%22&lr=#v=onepage&q=&f=false
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:01:16 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »
It seems that according to the state of New York, there was no Orthodox jurisdictional disunity, at least from October 1, 1895, when its Religious Corporations Law took effect (sect. 111), which states in pertinent part:
The Religious Corporations Law
Aritcle III
Special Provisions for the Incorporation and Government of Roman Catholic and Greek Churches-…an unincorporated Christian Orthodox Catholic church of the Eastern Confession, in this state may become incorporated as a church by executing, acknowleding and filing a certificate of incorporation…A certificate of incorporation of an unincorporated Christian Orthodox Catholic church of the eastern confession shall be executed and acknowledged by the envoy extraordinary and minister plenipotentiary, and by the consul-general of Russia to the United States, then acknowledged and received as such by the United States. On filing such certificate such church shall be a corporateion by the name stated in the certificate.
sect. 51. Government of incorporated Roman Catholic and Greek churches-…The envoy extraordinary and minister plenipoteniary, and the consul-general of Russia to the United States, acknowledged and received as such, and their successors in office shall, by virtue of office, be the trustees of every incorporated Christian Orthodox Catholic church of the Eastern Confession in this state. The trustees of any such church shall have power to fix and change the salary of the rector and his assitant, appointed or commissioned according to the rules and usages of the denomination to which such church belongs.”
Revised Statutes Codes and General Laws of the State of New York, 2nd ed., vol. 3 (1896)
http://books.google.com/books?id=uoQ4AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA2705&dq=%22A+certificate+of+incorporation+of+an+unincorporated+Christian+Orthodox+Catholic+church+of+the+eastern+confession+shall+be+executed+and+acknowledged+by+the+envoy+extraordinary+and+minister+plenipotentiary,+and+by+the+consul-general+of+Russia%22&lr=#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Somewhere here I believe I've updated this: the law was put on the books in 1871.http://books.google.com/books?id=QRuxAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA14&dq=Laws+of+the+state+of+New+York+Passed+January+31,+1871&lr=#v=onepage&q=Laws%20of%20the%20state%20of%20New%20York%20Passed%20January%2031%2C%201871&f=false
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
New York's Religious Corporations Law, Article 5-C. § 105 goes through and gives the history of the OCA.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:30:12 AM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E00E7DF163BE033A25757C2A9669D94699FD7CF
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9E00E7DF163BE033A25757C2A9669D94699FD7CF&scp=2300&sq=Russian+Church&st=p

THE RUSSIAN GREEK CHURCH.; ITS CLAIMS ANNOUNCED BY THE BISHOP OF ALASKA.

October 24, 1888, Wednesday

DETROIT, Mich., Oct. 23.--A tall, slender, ouriously-dressed man, with long hair and beard, attracted a great deal of attention in one of the city hotels last night. He registered in a peculiar hand writing as "Vladimir, Bishop of Alaska and Aleutian Islands," and is a Bishop in the Russian Greek Church.  "As Bishop I represent both North and South America," he said in his broken English, "but by title I'm Bishop of Alaska and the Aleutian Islands.  This diocese is very large in space, but small in the number of churches.  We have not more than 20,000 or 30,000 members in all the United States. The largest church in the diocese is at Buenos Ayres [sic], in South America, where I shall go before my return to my home in San Francisco.  From here I go to Buffalo, New-York, New-Orleans, &c., reviewing and establishing churches and getting an idea of the needs of the diocese.  I have only been Bishop of this diocese seven months and this is my first trip.  My predecessor, Bishop Nestor, was drowned on the Pacific seven years ago and the people have been afraid to accept this Bishopric for that reason.  Another Bishop of this diocese was drowned in 1799 and I came very near it a short time ago.

"My first Bishopric was in Japan, where I was eight years.  Then I became head of a Russian seminary at Warsaw.  I was there two years, and then came to this country.  Our Church is the true Christian Church, founded on Jesus Christ, and our first Bishops were the Twelve Apostles, with St. James at the head.  The Roman Catholics get their religion by tradition. Their men have never seen Christ, and the Western churches are further removed yet.  The Twelve Apostles, after the death of Jesus, became Bishops, and were missionaries in the East, and their books were all written in Greek, none in Latin.  There can be but one sacrament, one true baptism, one true preaching, and one true Church; that is ours. Our Church government is simple.  A Patriarch in each country is the head of a perpetual Synod.  On extraordinary occasions an Ecumenical Council of all countries is called and is supreme.  Our priests can marry once, but the Bishops not at all.  After a priest loses his wife, however, he can become a Bishop."

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:13:02 PM by ialmisry »

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2010, 01:56:47 AM »
Just came across again "Natalia Shelikhova: Russian Oligarch of Alaska Commerce" edited by Dawn Lea Black, Alexander Petrov, Alexander Yu Petrov http://books.google.com/books?id=ifwXNIcnNDUC&pg=PA80&lpg=PA80&dq=Ioasaf+Irkutsk&source=bl&ots=1ppF6LB7q4&sig=L_FsoiZ4F4_FXfZsZjM7Uq-OWZA&hl=en&ei=8YnsTLb3PIrTngear7D-AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=bishop&f=false
which gives a look of interesting background to the Russian Mission to America. Madame Shelikhov personal life shows the intent of those involved in setting up the mission, among other things the insistence on a bishop and eyeing his jurisidiction all the way to California, and the idea of converting the natives.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:57:14 AM by ialmisry »