OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:45:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you feel the cyberworld changes you?
YES - 7 (41.2%)
NO - 4 (23.5%)
SOMETIMES - 6 (35.3%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mysteries of the cyberworld  (Read 2381 times) Average Rating: 0
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« on: April 20, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »

I come back home from the Paschal services, turn on my PC and see I've got Paschal Greeting e-mails from distant parts of the world, private messages here and there, and some of my friends are online in chat.

In one of the messages, a person tells me "even though is Pascha, I make a full postration to the ground before you". I think to myself Really? Has this person stood up from his chair, made a postration to the ground before the computer, and then continued to type the message?

Meanwhile, I am chatting online with a friend, who has been working all night, first as a reader in Church services, afterwards helping out the brothers in the monastery in entertaining the large number of visitors, going here and there bringing out the food, taking the dirty dishes from the Trapeza to the kitchen, scrapping the wax off the Church's floor, sweeping the altar, wiping the Icons, etc...

The webcams work good, but the sound is terrible, after we got tired of trying to make it work, we decide to chat with text. I typed something funny, and my friend responds with "hehehehehehe" and  Cheesy but he is not even smiling! and I tell him "You look terrible, you're not even smiling, your webcam's on Remember?".

I'm so happy because of Pascha, that I can't sleep, so I decide to take a look at some blogs, and I see a post from one of my friends a very decent young woman, family oriented, saying terrible things. I was gobsmacked and alarmed, so I decide to phone her and ask "Are you really in a party right now, got drunk and naughty?" She says "Huh?" then  silence, and suddenly a hysterical laughter, and a silly explaination "Naaaay! I'm knackered and bored, I was just teasing N... and N....

Why do people say things even when they are not true while they are online?

Our Lord Jesus Christ tells us to flee from all falsehood, and cling to the Truth.

Why do people change their behaviour so radically that they say and do things they would never do in real life?

Our Lord Jesus Christ tells us to flee from contradictory behaviour, and calls us to be whole.

Why people lose sense of reality in the cyberworld and treat each other in ways they wouldn't in real life?

Our Lord Jesus Christ tells us to pay heed, and have compassion, and to treat every person with love, for all are precious to Him.

It's very important for us to be attentive to ourselves, and don't get carried away by the mysteries of the cyberworld. We must be the same person online and in real life, keeping in mind what we must and must not do.

Integrity means to be a one piece person, when we are in public, and when we are alone, when we are in real life, and when we are here in the cyberworld.

Words are deeds and we have to answer for each deed we do.

So next time, if you're not really laughing, don't type "hehehhe" don't post a  Cheesy that's falsehood.

Some might say I am exaggerating, and think those little lies and not important, and are simply a way of talking, but a little lie brings a bigger one, and if we make it into a habit, we become enslaved by falsehood before we can notice.

Words are powerful deeds, with one word you can make others smile, and with one word, you can break the hope of many.

With one word, you can inspire others, or stir up the most terrible passions.

Let us flee from every tiny piece of falsehood and evil, so we don't fall into bigger ones.

Let us wake up from the charms of the mysteries of the cyberworld, and be true to ourselves and others!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:41:10 PM by Pravoslav09 » Logged

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:38:03 AM »

Most of what is on the internet is at best, dribble and nonsense, and at worst, diabolical.
People on forums and blogs say things which they would not say to someone's face and somehow believe that the anonymity of the internet renders them immune from culpability

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »

Most of what is on the internet is at best, dribble and nonsense, and at worst, diabolical.
People on forums and blogs say things which they would not say to someone's face and somehow believe that the anonymity of the internet renders them immune from culpability

How true. I know that I for one have been guilty of saying things to people on line that I would not dream of saying in person. Pray for me, a sinner.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »

LOL laugh laugh laugh LMAO laugh laugh laugh ROTFL laugh laugh laugh

Ok, so I'm not really laughing. Grin Roll Eyes

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:00:25 AM »

I for one only write ROFL when I, in fact, have rolled on the floor laughing--which has happened more than once on this forum.  Cheesy

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
IPC
Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »

Have you ever fallen off the chair and rolled on the floor laughing? hehehehe

Figure speech is something else  Cheesy Yes! I'm smiling, I've been extremenly happy these days.

The main point of this post was to rise awareness about these three main things:

a) We have to answer before God to every single thing we do and say, including the things we do here in the net.

b) The things we do and say here have an effect on others.

c) How we forget about God, and only care what people will say and do to us.

It is specially sad to see this in religious church going believers, they fear people will find out what they do and have a consecuence, but they don't even believe God is watching and .....

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:57:29 AM by Pravoslav09 » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38:59 AM »

Have you ever fallen off the chair and rolled on the floor laughing? hehehehe
Yes.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »

I've been known to say many random things on the web, but the difference is that I actually have no problem saying the same things in real life. I write the same way I talk basically. If I call you an idiot on line for example, I have no problem saying it to your face when I meet you. I agree people think they are bullet proof online, but I share the same opinions online that I share in real life.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:57:13 PM »

LOL laugh laugh laugh LMAO laugh laugh laugh ROTFL laugh laugh laugh

Ok, so I'm not really laughing. Grin Roll Eyes

And I'm not really shouting "Hoopla!" and dancing on a table...I admit it! Embarrassed

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
IPC
Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »

Some expressions like LMAO are rude and vulgar, lets watch decorum for Christ's sake  Smiley

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »

Some expressions like LMAO are rude and vulgar, lets watch decorum for Christ's sake  Smiley

If I watch my decorum it won't be for the sake of some fictitious deity, but, really, LMAO is not rude and vulgar, it's perfectally socially acceptable. It's hard to call any acronym 'rude and vulgar' even ones like FUBAR are g rated.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »

Pravoslav... you've made a few good points. In my opinion we do need to guard our speech online and remember that we will give answer to our Lord for our words as well as our deeds. However (yeah... there's always a "however"  Wink) it seems to me that OzGeorge has hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head. I quote him: most of what we read online is drivel, nonsense and at worst diabolical." I couldn't agree more.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »

If I watch my decorum it won't be for the sake of some fictitious deity, but, really, LMAO is not rude and vulgar, it's perfectally socially acceptable. It's hard to call any acronym 'rude and vulgar' even ones like FUBAR are g rated.
Jesus of Nazareth, the teacher/preacher, was a real person who lived in first century Palestine. Whether or not you think he is divine is altogether a different issue.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
IPC
Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 06:03:53 PM »

Jesus Christ is the undivided God, with the Father by whom all things were made and the Holy Spirit giver of life. Jesus Christ our God for our salvation came down from heaven, wrapped Himself in a human body as a garmet, suffered all sort of evil for our sake, was crucified, expired,  descended to hell, trampled satan under His feet, broke the chains of the captives and the gates of hades, and gave life to those in the tombs, then He rose and went back to heaven, and sits on the right of the Father, and will come back again to judge us in all glory and majesty.

Oh Good Father, and the Most Holy Son, and the Holy Spirit, Oh Most Holy Trinity, Oh God undivided and eternal, have mercy on us and save us.

Whomever denies Jesus is God, denies also the Father, and rejects the Holy Spirit. A Shamrock is one plant with three leaves,  so is our God one, with three persons.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:05:25 PM by Pravoslav09 » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »

Jesus of Nazareth, the teacher/preacher, was a real person who lived in first century Palestine. Whether or not you think he is divine is altogether a different issue.

Maybe, maybe not...but I personally lean towards him being a real person...it's not quite beyond a reasonable doubt, but there is probable cause. However, that doesn't mean he was 'the Christ', not even probable cause for that one, so my statement stands.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »

ADDICTED TO OC.NET. PLEASE HELP.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: