OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 11:12:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Fire service  (Read 1852 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: April 20, 2009, 04:54:36 AM »

What is this? Is that the Patriarch of Jerusalem simply goes to the Chapel and after a while goes out with a Fire or is it a special service with special prayers?
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:51:28 AM »

The Ceremony of the Holy Light:
http://www.impantokratoros.gr/holylight-ceremony.en.aspx
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:15:07 PM »

Many thanks! Luckily it's neither Greek nor Chinese Tongue
Elpidophoros
Elder

Faith: OX

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »

Many thanks! Luckily it's neither Greek nor Chinese Tongue
You are welcome! Grin
Don't tell me that my english is so poor even looks like greek or chinese to you... Lips Sealed
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 03:49:03 PM »

The Holy Fire is a miracle that ocurred for centuries in the tomb of our Lord Jesus Christ, when True Orthodox Christians celebrated the service of the resurrection.

Every year, at the start of the Sunday of Reurrection, at midnight (sometimes earlier, sometimes latter) Holy uncreated Fire emerged from the Tomb of our Lord and God, Jesus Christ, and went to different places in the Church, many times, enkindling the candles of believers directly.

The service of the Holy Fire in the Tomb of our Lord Jesus Christ is now officiated by heterodox clergy, and the miracle does not happen in their service. The Holy Fire stopped appearing somewhere in the middle of the past century (50's or 60's) after heterodox took over the place and banned the True Orthodox Christians from the service.

In remembrance of that miracle, in Churches round the world, the service of the Holy Fire is officiated  to mark the starting on Pascha (Holy Resurrection Feast) and it's done exactly at midnight.

Before midnight, there are some special prayers, and then the lights of the Church are turned out, the officiating clergy light a candle in the altar, and come out with the Paschal greeting, from the main door (Royal Gates) and approach the others to enlighten the candles.

The moment the officiating clergy comes out with the candle, all lights in Church are turned on, the choir and all present begin to sing, and the bells are rang in what is called "joyful peal". And all the doors of the altar are opened.

People greet each other with the paschal greeting, we hug and kiss, people we know and strangers for the same, for we know we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

The service of the Holy Fire in the Tomb of our Lord Jesus Christ is now officiated by heterodox clergy, and the miracle does not happen in their service. The Holy Fire stopped appearing somewhere in the middle of the past century (50's or 60's) after heterodox took over the place and banned the True Orthodox Christians from the service.

I think you are mistaken, the services continue to be served by the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem and the Holy Fire continues to appear to him. It has been documented in other threads the story about when the Patriarch was denied entry and the fire came out of the pillar in the church to light everyone's candles.

It appears that you got your information from a bad source.

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »

There is a good thread on the proof of the holy fire in the News Section.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20754.0.html

Joseph
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:49:32 PM »

Christ is Risen!

What's this about?
In an earlier age, the day of the Holy and Great Saturday, the local Orthodox, thrilled and joyful walked around the Holy Burial Cabin sometimes singing the “Lord have mercy” and other times wishing the Patriarch of the Holy City of Jerusalem a long life and reciting loudly in Arabic verses declaring their joy.
       To day this custom, to avoid creating a lot of noise and disturbance, is allowed only shortly before the ceremony and during its duration.
       At around 12 noon, His Sacred Blessedness, the Patriarch of Jerusalem, the Holy Hierarchs together with all the clergy, descend in magnificent vestments from the Patriarchate, for the Resurrection and according to their rank they assume their place on the Holy Step of the Catholicon (Nave) area while the bells peal joyously. Directly after, the representatives of the Armenians, Syrians and Copts enter on the Holy Step embrace the right of the Patriarch or of the Hierarch who will perform the ceremony, to have time and participate in the ceremony of the Holy Light according with the preserved conditions of the Sultan that confess the exclusive domination of the Greek Nation on the All Holy Church of the Resurrection and the All Holy and Lifebearing Tomb.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 10:27:18 PM »

I don't know who you are speaking of; the Patriarch of Jerusalem officiates at this service as he always, and the Holy Fire continues to appear, as it always has; my bishop saw it with his own eyes not more than 15 years ago, and he's told me the story countless times.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 10:26:04 PM »

I don't know who you are speaking of; the Patriarch of Jerusalem officiates at this service as he always, and the Holy Fire continues to appear, as it always has; my bishop saw it with his own eyes not more than 15 years ago, and he's told me the story countless times.

The person who stated this is either a Matthewite or one of the other spinoffs of those groups that reject the canonical Orthodox Church and hold that their small remnant are the only "truth Orthodox."  Thus, he does not consider the Patriarch of Jerusalem to be an Orthodox Bishop, nor does he consider you or I to be an Orthodox Christian.  They also claim that, since the 1950's when they were banished from the Sepulcher, that the Holy Fire from that time onward must be a fraud. 
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:39:28 PM »

A fellow who posts here stated on his blog that the Holy Fire actually gets taken to Mt. Athos, plus some of the "Ephramite" monasteries here in the US after its appearing in Jerusalem.  Fascinating.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:31 AM »

FatherHLL is right, we consider the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and the rest of Canonical Orthodoxy, as groups outside the Church, with a heterodox faith, preaching a different gospel, and who do not have grace, this is why it's impossible for us, true orthodox Christians, to accept the miracle of the Holy Fire happens in their mockery of Divine Services.

FatherHLL we are not Matthewist, we are Tikhonists, and we are not what you said, we are the Canonical and legitimate continuation of Russian Orthodox Church of the Russian Empire, as our faith, and practices witness. We are a community of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Both the Roman Catholic Church, and Canonical Orthodoxy have millions of members, and have taken the Holy Sites of Christianity, but they are graceless groups outside the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:30:35 AM by Pravoslav09 » Logged

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 01:22:21 AM »

Canonical Orthodoxy has millions of members, and has taken the Holy Sites of Christianity, but they are a graceless group outside the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

So is the church restricted to Russia entirely, then in your small communion?  What of those churches outside Russia who had nothing to do with the communist take over?  What about holy Serbia?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 06:47:33 AM »

FatherHLL is right, we consider the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and the rest of Canonical Orthodoxy, as groups outside the Church, with a heterodox faith, preaching a different gospel, and who do not have grace, this is why it's impossible for us, true orthodox Christians, to accept the miracle of the Holy Fire happens in their mockery of Divine Services.

FatherHLL we are not Matthewist, we are Tikhonists, and we are not what you said, we are the Canonical and legitimate continuation of Russian Orthodox Church of the Russian Empire, as our faith, and practices witness. We are a community of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Both the Roman Catholic Church, and Canonical Orthodoxy have millions of members, and have taken the Holy Sites of Christianity, but they are graceless groups outside the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Ел Ви Признате српску Православну Цркву....

Does your group church... recognize the serbian Orthodox Church....curious about it...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »

The person who stated this is either a Matthewite or one of the other spinoffs of those groups that reject the canonical Orthodox Church and hold that their small remnant are the only "truth Orthodox."  Thus, he does not consider the Patriarch of Jerusalem to be an Orthodox Bishop, nor does he consider you or I to be an Orthodox Christian.  They also claim that, since the 1950's when they were banished from the Sepulcher, that the Holy Fire from that time onward must be a fraud.  

I figured as much.  I just think it's a bit hard to perpetuate a fraud for such a famous event, considering the number of witnesses and the continued diligent checks and investigations involved.

By the way, welcome to the forum, FatherHLL!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: Jerusalem Pascha Holy Fire 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: