OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:45:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: interested, but no Orth. church nearby  (Read 2242 times) Average Rating: 0
klburt

Coffee: the nectar of the gods

« on: October 27, 2003, 12:43:27 AM »

When I lived in Memphis, TN, (USA), I studied some with a good Orthodox priest (Antiochian) there and my family and I attended his parish for the last 6 months or so we lived there, fairly regularly.  My job took me to a new location, and there are no Orthodox Churches any where close to us.  What would be suggested for us to do?  We feel that our journey that had led us towards Orthodoxy has been somewhat derailed, but aren't sure what to do now.  I'd like to be able to move, but cannot anytime soon.  What should we do in the meantime?  We've tried a few Catholic Churches in the area, but my wife isn't comfortable there at all, and I still have too much interest in learning more about Orthodoxy (as well as some major misgivings regarding Catholicism).

Any advice?  Prayers are appreciated, too.
cordially,
kburt
klburt

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 12:45:15 AM »

P.S. Is there a reason that there is a picture of a llama under my name with a caption that says, "I'm a llama!"Huh
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 12:55:01 AM »

Where do you live now?

Bobby

PS The llama is just a default image. You can change it.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 01:22:55 AM »

Like Bobby said, let us know the closest cities in your area.  We're in the process of developing a huge internet listing of Orthodox churches and we may have a few you might have missed.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 05:43:21 PM »

I'm presuming that there actually aren't any Orthodox churches close by. It seems to me that the first thing to do is to read some orthodox Orthodox basic stuff: Thomas Hopko, Timothy Ware, Anthony Bloom.... Some of the best stuff I've seen online is the extensive listing of stuff on the OCA website.
klburt

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 12:26:07 AM »

We live in Bowling Green, KY.  I know of one Church in Nashville, but we have two young children and it is hard for us to make it that far early in the morning.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 12:37:39 AM »

There is an Orthodox Church in Franklin TN. One south of Lexington, plus a couple in Lexington.

St. Michael's in Louisville is a very dynamic parish that hold daily services. I know Louisville is farther then Nashville from Bowling Green but in case you ever make your way up there you do not need to be there on Sunday in order to attend services there.

Joseph
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 03:30:36 AM »

We live in Bowling Green, KY.  I know of one Church in Nashville, but we have two young children and it is hard for us to make it that far early in the morning.

Unfortunately it looks as though Nashville is the closest.  I would urge you to continue your studies and visit as you are able.  Perhaps if you can visit once or twice you can then have an email correspondance with the priest that could help you in your inquiry of Orthodoxy.  If we can help, we will be happy to assist.   Seek and ye shall find!  Grin

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: