OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with Metropolitan Philip  (Read 1755 times) Average Rating: 0
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« on: April 16, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »

I got my copy of the Word yesterday and read this interview

http://directionstoorthodoxy.org/n/fr_peter_gillquist_interviews_metropolitan_philip_of_the_antioch.html

I thought it was actually pretty good.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:00:01 AM »

Is this the same as the AFR podcast?  If so, then I wasn't impressed.
Cosmos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »

I, too, thought it was a good interview.  Cool

In particular, it revealed Metropolitan Philip's thoughts and feelings in a way that really illuminated the underlying factors of other issues which have been discussed on this forum and elsewhere in recent times.  Smiley

May he have many years among us!

+Cosmos

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
AMM
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »

This in particular I thought was interesting

I don't think we can relate to this culture, we can relate to these people, to the people in this culture, if we all have cassocks and black jibbees and the Turkish hat, the black hat, and go to Nashville, Tennessee, or to Appalachia or somewhere. People will think that we are somehow from outer space. How can they relate to us? I mean first of all, they wouldn't approach us to say hello or something. They'll get scared from us. This is about external appearance.

We have not decided yet what kind of dress we should adopt in this country. I see some of my own priests, you see, in the Antiochian Archdiocese, walking around with ponytails and with long beards. Is that necessary for salvation? What does that have to do with the history of salvation? We don't know whether our Lord had a beard or not. They paint Him or they picture Him as he had a beard. Everybody in those days had a beard. Everybody. And everybody had a cassock and an outer garment over the cassock, and the Turkish hat is an innovation. I mean it entered the church during the Ottoman time. We have to agree on our external identity.

Our identity as Orthodox, liturgically, we have to. We're still using the liturgies of the ancient world. I'm happy with it because I grew up in Lebanon and I am familiar with the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and I wouldn't change it with anything else because I am very familiar with it. But will the future Orthodox generation in this country accept this liturgy? This is up to them how to express themselves culturally, how to express their feelings, their culture, in the church. The music, for example. The music – we use Byzantine music. I like it, I am familiar with it but some people don't like it. Is that the music which we should have for the church in this country?

These are questions, these are question marks. I cannot answer them right now. I think our future generations will answer these questions. But we should be very careful of how we dress, of how we interact with the people in this milieu, in this environment. It's important.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »

Overall a good interview and seems to reflect the situation prior to the shuffling of the bishops on Feb 24th. I do not want to dredge up that topic; if his outlook is future oriented for the New World then good. One may raise some questions on attire of priests though since it seems that a sacrifice of the rights of traditionalists who advocate cassocks etc. is problematic. Unsure also about his point that seems to indicate that the DL may not be  compatible with a western American society. The successes and trials of his life are most inspiring.

Antiochian OC N.A.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »

Unsure also about his point that seems to indicate that the DL may not be  compatible with a western American society.

It is.  It will always be foreign and exotic to most people.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 07:09:44 PM »

Unsure also about his point that seems to indicate that the DL may not be  compatible with a western American society.

Of Course Jesus Christ will always be foreign and exotic to most people just as He was foreign and exotic in the era that He lived.

The circular argument continues round and round, round and round, round and round.  The circular argument continues round and round as long as Satan gets his way....
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 08:00:30 AM »

Sometimes I think this is because of the obscurity of the church itself which may be perpetuated by issues of leadership.

Antiochian OC N.A.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »

Sometimes I think this is because of the obscurity of the church itself which may be perpetuated by issues of leadership

A lot of people can't get , won't get or don't get "My Kingdom is not of this World."
SbdcnDavid

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »

Overall a good interview and seems to reflect the situation prior to the shuffling of the bishops on Feb 24th. I do not want to dredge up that topic; if his outlook is future oriented for the New World then good. One may raise some questions on attire of priests though since it seems that a sacrifice of the rights of traditionalists who advocate cassocks etc. is problematic. Unsure also about his point that seems to indicate that the DL may not be  compatible with a western American society. The successes and trials of his life are most inspiring.

There are enough threads about the purported demotion of our Diocesan bishops, so let's not discuss that here.  But can anyone explain to me why our Metropolitan's attitude toward beards in America is frozen c. 1965, when beard implied hippie?  My first stockbroker had a beard.  Willie Nelson wears a beard.  Redneck truck drivers wear beards.  Farmers wear beards.  My father, a Presbyterian minister,  grew a beard when he was widowed in the mid 1970's (though he used to say, when asked how long he'd had a beard, "Oh, I've had a beard since I was a teenager.  I just used to scrape it off every morning.") I've had a beard since 1980, 14 years before my conversion to Orthodoxy--and no affectations, since I'm only in minor orders I keep it short, about the length of the last Tsar's beard, which I've heard traditionalists hold up as the ideal of a layman's beard. 
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 10:12:37 PM »

It rather bothers me that Metropolitan Philip assumes that shaving and dressing like an Anglican, changing the liturgy, changing the music, leaving "everything but the Nicene Creed" open to change because it might be foreign and awkward is going to solve problems of communicating with this western culture. 

As has been pointed out, some folks have problems with cassocks, beards, and ponytails. 

I have problems with bishops mandating that priests look like Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn.

Did it ever occur to folks that making every effort to explain what we're doing and provide meaning for it might work better than changing it all up? 

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 10:52:58 PM »

It rather bothers me that Metropolitan Philip assumes that shaving and dressing like an Anglican, changing the liturgy, changing the music, leaving "everything but the Nicene Creed" open to change because it might be foreign and awkward is going to solve problems of communicating with this western culture. 

As has been pointed out, some folks have problems with cassocks, beards, and ponytails. 

I have problems with bishops mandating that priests look like Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn.

Did it ever occur to folks that making every effort to explain what we're doing and provide meaning for it might work better than changing it all up? 

David, if you would be so kind in the future to refrain from providing fresh solutions to problems that might actually work, so much the better to maintain the status quo.... Wink

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 01:39:56 AM »

David, if you would be so kind in the future to refrain from providing fresh solutions to problems that might actually work, so much the better to maintain the status quo.... Wink

Oh!  Crap...sorry.  Forgot where I was...  Grin
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:40:26 AM by DavidBryan » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
shep4569

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 01:35:19 AM »

Hmm...agreed with most comments here. I don't think we need to change our clerical dress, facial hair, and especially not the DL to communicate with or appeal to "Western" culture. I've driven to/from church in my cassock before, and I get weird looks. I get them a lot. Not that I really care, because I know what it is and what it's for. People won't be interested in Orthodoxy because our clerics wear suits. If anything they'll wonder "What is that guy wearing and why?" if they see someone in a cassock.

Facial hair is a definite no for me. I've tried growing a beard, and it's patchy. It makes me look scary. haha

In Christ,
Logan

"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." - Job 1:21
Tags: Beards 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: