OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 04:06:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archimandrite Tikhon elected newest OCA bishop  (Read 1866 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: October 26, 2003, 08:14:31 PM »

http://www.oca.org/pages/events/2003/10.October/1020SyossetNY-HolySynod/1022SyossetNY-HolySynod2/index.html

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 09:16:42 PM »

So the rumor that Orthodoc heard was right: Archimandrite Tikhon [Mollard], Deputy Abbot of St. Tikhon's Monastery, has been canonically elected by the Holy Synod as a new Auxiliary to the Metropolitan with the title, Bishop of South Canaan, to replace Bishop +NIKON, new Bishop of Boston and former Bishop of Baltimore.

"Eis polla eti, Despota!" to Bishop +NIKON, now Bishop of Boston and Ruling Bishop of the Albanian Archdiocese and Administrator of the Diocese of New England, and to Archimandrite Tikhon, Bishop-elect of South Canaan to serve as the new Auxiliary to His Beatitude, Metropolitan +HERMAN!

I know that we in New England are very pleased with the election of His Grace, Bishop +NIKON, to head the widowed Albanian Archdiocese and to serve as our New England Diocesan Administrator.

Hypo-Ortho
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 09:31:01 PM »

So will there now be 2 OCA Bishop Tikhons -- the new one of South Canaan and the currnet Bishop of the West?  Or will one have to change his name to avoid confusion??

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 09:45:47 PM »

They can call them Tikhon I and Tikhon Vol 2! ;-)

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 09:57:31 PM »

Anyone know how old the new one is?  I hope he's reasonable young - too many old bishops around.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 10:35:26 PM »

From the OCA website

Biography of Archimandrite Tikhon (Mollard)

Archimandrite Tikhon was born Marc R. Mollard in Boston, MA on July 15, 1966, the oldest of three children born to Francois and Elizabeth Mollard. After brief periods living in Connecticut, France, and Missouri, he and his family settled in Reading, PA, where he graduated from Wyomissing High School in 1984. In 1988 he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in French and Sociology from Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA, after which he moved to Chicago.

In 1989 he was received into the Orthodox Church from Episcopalianism and, in the fall of the same year, he began studies at Saint Tikhon Seminary, South Canaan, PA. One year later he entered the monastic community at Saint Tikhon Monastery as a novice.

After receiving his Master of Divinity degree from Saint Tikhon Seminary in 1993, he was appointed instructor in Old Testament at Saint Tikhon Seminary. He continues to serve as Senior Lecturer in Old Testament, teaching Master level courses in the Prophets and the Psalms and Wisdom Literature. He is also an instructor in the seminary's Extension Studies program, offering courses in the lives of the Old Testament saints, the liturgical use of the Old Testament, and the Old Testament in patristic literature.

Archimandrite Tikhon collaborated with Igumen Alexander (Golitzin) in the publication of "The Living Witness of the Holy Mountain," published by Saint Tikhon Seminary Press, by illustrating this classic book about Mount Athos.

In 1995 he was tonsured to the Lesser Schema by His Eminence, Archbishop Herman, and given the name Tikhon, in honor of Saint Patriarch Tikhon, Enlightener of North America. Later that year he was ordained to the Holy Diaconate and Holy Priesthood at Saint Tikhon Monastery. In 1998 he was elevated to the rank of Igumen, and in 2000 to the rank of Archimandrite.

In December 2002, he was appointed by Metropolitan Herman to serve as Deputy Abbot of Saint Tikhon Monastery.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 10:36:10 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 11:26:36 PM »

Interesting biography of Bishop-elect Tikhon.  Like His Grace, Bishop +TIKHON of San Francisco and the West, who is a convert to Holy Orthodoxy from Lutheranism, Bishop-elect Tikhon is also a convert from Protestantism, but in this case, Episcopalianism.  His Grace, Bishop +SERAPHIM of Ottawa and Canada, is also a convert from Protestantism (Lutheranism), as is His Eminence, Archbishop +DMITRI of Dallas and the South, Exarch for Mexico (Baptist?).  His Grace, retired Bishop +MARK [Forsberg], Former Bishop of Boston, is also a convert to Orthodoxy (Roman Catholicism), and His Eminence, Archbishop +NATHANIEL of Detroit and the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America and Canada, is a convert to Holy Orthodoxy from the Byzantine-Romanian Rite Catholic Unia.  

Other than His Eminence, Archbishop +KIRILL of Pittsburgh, Western Pennsylvania and the Bulgarian Diocese;  His Eminence, Archbishop +PETER of New York and New Jersey; and His Grace, Bishop +IRINEU of Dearborn Heights, Auxiliary of the Romanian Episcopate, all OCA bishops are American-born.

Hypo-Ortho
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 03:44:59 AM by Hypo-Ortho » Logged
Tags: OCA 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: