OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 08:12:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What services does your Church do on Holy Wednesday?  (Chose one of the first two options, one of the middle two, and one of the last three)
Morning: Presanctified Liturgy - 20 (27.8%)
Morning: Nothing, or Other (please specify) - 3 (4.2%)
Afternoon: Unction - 5 (6.9%)
Afternoon: Nothing, or Other (please specify) - 7 (9.7%)
Evening: Unction - 24 (33.3%)
Evening: Orthros/Matins/"Bridegroom" (with or without anointing) - 12 (16.7%)
Evening: Nothing, or Other (please specify) - 1 (1.4%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Wednesday Practices  (Read 4185 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »

I wanted to gauge what other folks' parishes do on Holy Wednesday; I've heard of anything between the minimum (nothing), to what we do (3 services: Presanctified, Unction, and Orthros).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:05:19 PM »

morning: Hours with Gospel then Presanctified Liturgy
afternoon: nothing
evening: Thursday's Matins

We had Unction on Monday
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:15:28 PM »

Our OCA parish celebrated the Presanctified Liturgy this morning at the nearby women's monastery.  Tonight, AFAIK, we'll only have Holy Unction.  If we had vespers then I'll update this when I get back tonight.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »

Only the Unction service unfortunately.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »

In my ROCOR parish:
Morning: Hours and pre-sanctified liturgy
Evening: Confession, Compline, Matins, and Unction.

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »

In one place they did Pre-Sanctified in the morning, Unction in the afternoon, Unction again at the late evening (the middle unction was for children). 

At the school they did (last year) Presanctified in the morning, Unction in the afternoon, Bridegroom at night.  This year they did Unction twice (like the first example I gave). 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »

Anybody know when and why the Anointing was added into the evening Service for Great and Holy Wednesday?

We shared the anointing with the Romanian parish last night and both Romanian priests said that anointing is something recent.  I myself cannot remember it from my younger days.

Do Russian parishes do it in the States?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »

At the school they did (last year) Presanctified in the morning, Unction in the afternoon, Bridegroom at night.  This year they did Unction twice (like the first example I gave).   

Why the switch?  That doesn't make sense for the school; they should have done the Orthros in the evening, and anointed people at the end of that service who missed the full unction service.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:07 PM »

Anybody know when and why the Anointing was added into the evening Service for Great and Holy Wednesday?

We shared the anointing with the Romanian parish last night and both Romanian priests said that anointing is something recent.  I myself cannot remember it from my younger days.

I don't know the answer to your final question, but to the first: in our Holy Week Class (taught by Fr. Calivas) he said that it was a relatively recent addition to the routine; unfortunate in that it has displaced the Orthros service for many parishes, but beautiful in that it helps cap our preparation for Pascha with all the blessings it provides (healing of soul, healing of body, forgiveness of sins).

---------------------
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 10:22:43 PM »

Father, I thought that was what the Holy Unction service was part of?  My OCA parish has always had anointing with the Holy Unction service ever since I became Orthodox back in '04.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:03:35 PM »

Father, I thought that was what the Holy Unction service was part of?  My OCA parish has always had anointing with the Holy Unction service ever since I became Orthodox back in '04. 

The Holy Unction service is a Sacrament of the Church which is usually reserved for those who are ill; anyone sick can, as the Epistle tells us, "call for the Elders of the Church" (presbyter = Elder), who will anoint them with oil blessed for the purpose.  There is no direction as to a specific time of year; rather, like Baptism, Chrismation, Marriage, and Burial it is performed when needed.  As a pious practice, to prepare us for great feasts or times of fasting, various churches celebrate it regularly: most places will celebrate it on Holy Wednesday; some will also celebrate it before Christmas & Theophany; and others will also celebrate it as part of Clean Monday.

---------------------
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 01:27:25 AM »

So why is the unction given to everyone, regardless of the state of their physical health?  It would seem to me that only the sick should receive the mystery.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:44:17 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »

So why is the unction given to everyone, regardless of the state of their physical health?  IT would seem to me that only the sick should receive the mystery.
Are we not all sick by consequence of the fall of mankind into sin, sickness, and death?

From one of the Epistles prescribed for the service of Holy Unction (James 5:13-16):
Is any one among you suffering? Let him pray. Is any cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.

According to this passage, Unction is also for the forgiveness of sins (not to replace the sacramental mystery of Confession).  Are we not all sinners in need of forgiveness?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 02:23:03 AM »

I voted the 1st and 6th options, although in reality they are reversed (bg matins in the morning, Presanct in the evening) - and no Unction.  My priest hasn't done it on Holy Wednesday the past few years.  I asked him why, and he said that there aren't any real sick people around.  Seems a poor excuse to me, but if it was during the day, I'd be at work anyways.

Although, I do see the point and saw this mention yesterday when searching for something else:
"Many serve Holy Unction service on Wednesday night, and sometimes omit the canonically appointed, and very beautiful and instructive matins for the institution of the Eucharist. The "Trebnic" is a prayer book used by the priest which has many prayers for "special needs" in it, such as unction, marriage, confession, funerals, blessings of all kinds, etc. Holy unction is usually served for the sick (not as "last rites", but for healing), but many serve it for an entire parish, since we are all at least spiritually sick to some degree. Not everyone agrees with this opinion, and some only serve this service for those who are physically sick. This service may be served any time there is a need, and is not prescribed in the typicon for Holy week."

From Answer 3 here:  http://www.orthodox.net/questions/holy_week_1.html
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 03:44:06 AM »

Our Monastery celebrated Holy Unction on Holy Thursday Morning (this morning) as is the ancient custom.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 06:57:47 AM »

Presanctified yesterday morning. Holy Thursday Matins then Holy Unction yesterday evening.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 07:00:55 AM »

The OCA where I went didn't do it until we got an assistant Greek priest (he married a Russian, and we used to joke that he converted to Russian Orthodoxy).  After that, people wouldn't think of not having it.  We used to have pre-sanctified.

I was told by a St. Vlad type, that the service fell into disuse because people thought of the unction as a topic..."Father, I have this corn..."  I added "Father, I have this hemorrhoid..." Shocked

I noticed that the Russians have a lot more anointing with holy oil.  There's some section in Hapgood on this IIRC.

At my home parish (Antiochian), we do unction in the evening.

I don't know the answer to your final question, but to the first: in our Holy Week Class (taught by Fr. Calivas) he said that it was a relatively recent addition to the routine; unfortunate in that it has displaced the Orthros service for many parishes, but beautiful in that it helps cap our preparation for Pascha with all the blessings it provides (healing of soul, healing of body, forgiveness of sins).

We used to go to the Arab Orthodox Church for the service, back when the other parishes were getting on their feet (in the last ten years or so Chicago has gone from 1 to at least 4 Antiochians parishes that I know of).  The priest (Palestinian) mentioned that many back home in the old days (min zamaan, ya'nii) used to go to the unction service and take their only communion for the year on Holy Thursday (trying to get out of confession?).

I and my sons go to a Greek parish.  There they have two services for unction (the chapel service starts when the Church has filled up) in the afternoon.  Pre-sanctified is early in the morning, Matins/Foot washing in the evening.

Btw, I've noticed that the prayer of St. Ephraim disappears around Holy Wednesday. Anyone know when or why?

I and my sons go to a Greek parish.

Okay, I'm confused. Antiochian or Greek?

LOL.  I meant we go to a Greek parish for the unction service, for this part of the year (we go to the Romanian Patriarchal Cathedral for it every month.  Why they have it every month, no one seems to know.  People also bring bottles of oil for the service to take home).  I point out that the other language (they don't speak Greek) is the language the Bible was written in, and the language the Aposltes wrote in.  (the Romanian service is all in Romanian, another reason we go).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:17:15 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
rwprof
Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 07:04:01 AM »

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 07:14:55 AM »

Btw, I've noticed that the prayer of St. Ephraim disappears around Holy Wednesday. Anyone know when or why?
Lent ends on Palm Sunday. Holy Week is not part of Lent.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 07:18:30 AM »

Why the switch?  That doesn't make sense for the school; they should have done the Orthros in the evening, and anointed people at the end of that service who missed the full unction service.

Mr. Texas wanted it.  He wanted a special service for the "children" and then a "regular" service.  TEXAS! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 07:19:08 AM »

Lent ends on Palm Sunday. Holy Week is not part of Lent.

Yes, but the prayer is said at Bridegroom Matins from Sunday night (ie. Mon. Matins) through Tuesday (i.e. Wednesday).

LOL.  Answered above in the OP.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:20:39 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 09:45:35 AM »

Regarding the Wednesday anointing, this came from a hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad in the States:

There is a similar difference [between Greeks and Russians] in the views held about the Sacrament of Holy Unction:
traditionally the Russian Church has reserved this Sacrament for the sick, and for those who are seriously ill at that. In the Greek Church, it is given to people who are healthy, usually on Holy Wednesday evening.

The spread of this anointing of the healthy in ROCOR came from the group that is now HOCNA. It was begun at Jordanville after I had graduated, and is something I am not comfortable with. At ordination, we promised *not* to anoint the healthy, but only the sick.

It is true that all humans are sick with sin; but we have confession for that illness.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:47:20 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »

Evening unction only...people wouldn't show up for more than that I'm afraid...sad really.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50:29 AM »

Holy Unction and the singing of Preterpivyj.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:50:48 AM by AMM » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 10:00:40 AM »

Holy Unction and the singing of Preterpivyj.
Oh! How I miss that!

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »

At ordination, we promised *not* to anoint the healthy, but only the sick.

This seems a bit unusual; I've never heard of this before.  Does anybody have a text, or example, of what he's speaking about?

---------------------
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »

We have Wednesday Bridegroom Matins Tuesday night, Presanctified Liturgy Wednesday morning, and Unction Wednesday night.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »

I didn't vote, but in the Coptic Church it's:
Last Friday of Lent: Anointing of the sick (preemptive in case something happens during holy week when it cannot be done because of the Church's preoccupation with the Passion) & Divine Liturgy
Lazarus Saturday (my church doesn't do this, but should be a divine Liturgy)
Eve of Palm Sunday Vespers
Palm Sunday Liturgy
General Burial Service (same reason as anointing, if someone dies they attended their own funeral)
Eve of Monday Pascha service (about 3 hr at least)
Monday morning Pascha service (about 1 hr at least)
Monday noon Pascha service (about 2 hr at least)
Eve of Tuesday Pascha service
Tuesday morning Pascha service
Tuesday noon Pascha service
Eve of Wed Pascha
Wed morning Pascha
Wed noon pascha
eve of Thurs Pascha
Thursday morning: Pascha service, washing of feet, Divine Liturgy (About 5 hr at leat)
Eve of Great Friday (About 4 hr)
Great Friday (About 8 hr at least)
Joyous Saturday (About 7 hr at least, from midnight to 7:00 am Saturday)
Feast of the Resurrection (5.5 hr at least, past midnight into Sunday)
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 02:54:21 PM »

At ordination, we promised *not* to anoint the healthy, but only the sick.

This seems a bit unusual; I've never heard of this before.  Does anybody have a text, or example, of what he's speaking about?

It's not in the Trebnik in Serbian or in Church Slavonic (the line about the anointing).  It might have been an addition by a bishop...

You know, now that I think about it though I remember my father would never anoint anyone who was not sick.  He would always say that Euhelaion is for those who are sick only (like really physically sick).  He was a pretty "strict traditional" kind of guy...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:57:29 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 07:52:04 PM »

We have Wednesday Bridegroom Matins Tuesday night, Presanctified Liturgy Wednesday morning, and Unction Wednesday night.
No Thursday Bridegroom Matins on Wednesday night?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »

No, we don't do that service at all. Actually, this year we have more services than we've ever had. Our priest has been adding a couple each year he's been at the parish. When he started, all we did was Unction and the Holy Friday services on, with the exception of baptisms Holy Saturday. This year was the first year we baptized on Holy Saturday. Our priest has really turned around what used to be a rather troubled parish and has been restoring the traditions of Orthodoxy ever since. He, for instance, started us praying Matins for the first time in the history of the parish. We've come a long way in the last ten years.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »

There are a great number of parishes who don't do Thursday Matins (which kinda isn't Bridegroom, and kinda is), and have replaced it with the Unction service.

---------------------
rwprof
Elder

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »

There are a great number of parishes who don't do Thursday Matins (which kinda isn't Bridegroom, and kinda is), and have replaced it with the Unction service.

We did both.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 09:53:57 PM »

I'm really getting confused reading all these post's ...How can some of the orthodox churches cut out some of the ancient services that are for the glory of God and his praise and worship...Why! shouldn't the ancient practices still be  practiced in all the orthodox churches at the appropriate time instead of replacing one service for another or cutting some out...
What is going on with orthodoxy is it becoming lax, lazy...worldly...This is depressing to read these posts...Is orthodoxy losing it.... Huh Huh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 11:26:23 PM »

I have been to a Church which performed Wednesday night Bridegroom service before Unction - I suppose the Epistle/Gospel readings were dispensed in the first Unction service of two because the service would have otherwise ended at 10 PM.

Priest of this Church has since left; I don't know if His successors continued.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 11:58:34 PM »

I'm really getting confused reading all these post's ...How can some of the orthodox churches cut out some of the ancient services that are for the glory of God and his praise and worship...Why! shouldn't the ancient practices still be  practiced in all the orthodox churches at the appropriate time instead of replacing one service for another or cutting some out...
What is going on with orthodoxy is it becoming lax, lazy...worldly...This is depressing to read these posts...Is orthodoxy losing it.... Huh Huh

Well our current Holy Week practices are not that ancient. For the most part they originate in the 9th Century with the creation of the Triodion by the Studites. There is no doubt that the early services, those of Mon, Tue and Wed, are historically the earliest but as the week progresses there is more innovation present. The procession with the Epatathios doesn't exist before the 1600's.

Joseph
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 12:13:20 AM »

Is orthodoxy losing it.... Huh Huh
Losing what? Huh
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 12:30:02 AM »

Losing what? Huh

It's traditions,,the ancient way.That people were familiar with for century's ...now certain services are omitted or replaced or shortened,,,,,Maybe this is the beginning of the great falling away that begins first on the clergy level and then infects the lay people that Holy Scripture warns us about....Even the Blessed Lord says when he comes back will he find any faith left....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:37:00 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 12:51:34 AM »

Well our current Holy Week practices are not that ancient. For the most part they originate in the 9th Century with the creation of the Triodion by the Studites. There is no doubt that the early services, those of Mon, Tue and Wed, are historically the earliest but as the week progresses there is more innovation present. The procession with the Epatathios doesn't exist before the 1600's.

I really don't buy this above ,I do understand adding services Thur the centuries for the Glory of God for his praise and worship, but to take away from God  after they been established for his glory this i don't understand...

Also we can never have enough services for the glory of God thats how great the lord is...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 12:55:49 AM »

Losing what? Huh

It's traditions,,the ancient way.That people were familiar with for century's ...now certain services are omitted or replaced or shortened,,,,,Maybe this is the beginning of the great falling away that begins first on the clergy level and then infects the lay people that Holy Scripture warns us about....Even the Blessed Lord says when he comes back will he find any faith left....
I would say that if you're looking at possible apostasy, there are concerns more pressing than how closely churches follow the Typikon.  What about fulfilling the commandments given in Chapter 25 of the Gospel of Matthew?  What about loving and forgiving those who have done us evil, or returning good for evil?  What about extending mercy to those who hate us?  Maybe we should focus more on these things that God desires of us (without neglecting our liturgical responsibilities).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:56:17 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 09:23:32 AM »

Morning: Presanctified Liturgy
Afternoon: Nothing
Evening: Small Compline

In Bulgaria Holy Unction is always on Holy Thursday morning after the liturgy of Saint Basil.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »

In Bulgaria Holy Unction is always on Holy Thursday morning after the liturgy of Saint Basil.

Fascinating!  Thank you for sharing that tidbit with us!

---------------------
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »

I did not know that. Thank you, and welcome to the forum!

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »

Mr. Texas wanted it.  He wanted a special service for the "children" and then a "regular" service.  TEXAS!  

That's Father Texas to you, buddy.

---------------------
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »

That's Father Texas to you, buddy.

Took you that long to notice huh...getting slow in your old age  Wink

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: