OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:57:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We've Only Got 12 Million Years Left  (Read 2675 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: July 26, 2007, 07:32:34 PM »

Mass Extinction Comes Every 62 Million Years, UC Physicists Discover

"With surprising and mysterious regularity, life on Earth has flourished and vanished in cycles of mass extinction every 62 million years, say two UC Berkeley scientists who discovered the pattern after a painstaking computer study of fossil records going back for more than 500 million years. Their findings are certain to generate a renewed burst of speculation among scientists who study the history and evolution of life. Each period of abundant life and each mass extinction has itself covered at least a few million years -- and the trend of biodiversity has been rising steadily ever since the last mass extinction, when dinosaurs and millions of other life forms went extinct about 65 million years ago..."

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 11:27:02 PM »

Well, let's see...  The last mass extinction happened 65 million years ago, and the cycle of such mass extinction events is roughly every 62 million years.  65 million subtract 62 million...  That means we're (GULP! Shocked) 3 million years overdue for the next mass extinction event.

Fasten your seat belts, ladies and gents.  This is going to be fun.  NOT! Sad
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 12:09:59 AM »

Lol, sorry about the number issue (12 vs. 3). I had read a few different stories, and for some reason the 12 million stuck in my head, even though I linked to a different (though not unrelated) story. Here was one of the other things I'd read (and where I got the 12 million from). Though I take this stuff like I would most other speculations... wait and see. (Though we don't want to wait too long  Cool )
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:12:47 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 12:20:31 AM »

Well, whether I die in a cataclysmic end-of-life event or I die of old age, either way, death is going to get me.  So why worry? Smiley
Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »

What is this with the million years . I am asking both of the time since earth is , and civilisation , according to science men . How does orthodoxy stand towards the "proofs" writings , history and supposition that the earth and earth civilisations are older than 7500 years ?

This user no longer posts here.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »

What is this with the million years . I am asking both of the time since earth is , and civilisation , according to science men . How does orthodoxy stand towards the "proofs" writings , history and supposition that the earth and earth civilisations are older than 7500 years ?

While there isn't an official stance, there are a few different strains of thought within the Orthodox world:

1. The Earth is exactly how old the Bible says it is according to the numbers provided in Genesis and other places, and the science is just a distraction from true worship of God.
2. Science was given to man to study God's wonderful creation - and if science tells us that the world is millions or billions of years old, then that's probably how old it is - but this does not affect our view that God created all.

I personally fall into group #2, but I don't disparage anyone who falls into #1.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:56:16 AM »

It's about time. I was getting bored with this world anyway.
I hope organisms are nicer to each other in the next eon.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »

I'll leave behind, written on asbestos paper, instructions for how to burn fossil fuels & build an M-16 rifle.  That should give them a good head-start.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:26 AM »

I know somewere is written 1 day is 1000 years and 1000 years is 1 day to the Lord , something like this ; I reproduce it , Maybe the 7 days of Creation were many many thousands or millions , or billions . I remmeber while i was a kid a religion profesor saying something like that .

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »

I know somewere is written 1 day is 1000 years and 1000 years is 1 day to the Lord , something like this ; I reproduce it , Maybe the 7 days of Creation were many many thousands or millions , or billions . I remmeber while i was a kid a religion profesor saying something like that .

That's a very plausible answer.  We can't always understand the Lord's time or will, and so it's best to deal with what we know or can observe, and leave what is unknowable to faith.

---------------------
Dan-Romania
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »

Ok , i`m glad we clear that , but i saw last night something about the sfinx of Egypt . People claim it was build 10 000 BC , hmmm ... That is a mistery . But i have a theory about this too , that they lied . As the great poets and philosops have invented and made up some Gods and stories . Let us remmeber that there were many scribes who were hired for reasons to right and to make something remain in history , those relatations can be true or false , still i have a question mark about this . But it doesn`t affect my faith in God with nothing . I just like to put the True above all things and to make the trueth cristal clear .

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »

Ok , i`m glad we clear that , but i saw last night something about the sfinx of Egypt . People claim it was build 10 000 BC , hmmm ... That is a mistery . But i have a theory about this too , that they lied . As the great poets and philosops have invented and made up some Gods and stories . Let us remmeber that there were many scribes who were hired for reasons to right and to make something remain in history , those relatations can be true or false , still i have a question mark about this .

I don't know if they're lying per se, but they may indeed be mislead or mistaken; science is limited by the present base of knowledge and experience - in future times, when the knowledge base is increased and our experience multiplied, then maybe we will discover mistakes in our conclusions, just as we have in present times discovered mistakes in the conclusions of the previous generation of scientists.

But it doesn`t affect my faith in God with nothing . I just like to put the True above all things and to make the trueth cristal clear . 

I'm glad it doesn't affect your faith.  The quest for truth is hopefully the major motivator in scientific discovery, rather than fame, fortune, or other such selfish reasons.

---------------------
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:47:54 AM »

I'm sure someone will have to make this a "what catholics believe versus the Orthodox" thread, since it seems to be happening on every other thread lately.

antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:26:16 PM »

No need to worry, 2012 is already reserved.

signature
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »

Let me have a few brews and a cigar before the event...

Wonder if it's going to be on Celestial You-Tube ?

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »

And to think... I was hoping we'd be around for the real fireworks!

I'm too old to use words like "cool", but what is really amazing is that when galaxies collide, their stars actually don't "bump in to each other".
Our own Milky way is on a collission course with the Andromeda galaxy, and we are expected to collide in about 3 billion years, pass through each other, and then collide again and merge into an elliptical galaxy. You can see an animated simulation of what is expected to happen here: http://haydenplanetarium.org/resources/ava/page/index.php?file=G0601andmilwy

One question bugs me though: Why would galaxies collide in an expanding universe? Shouldn't they all be moving away from each other?

---------------------
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:52 AM »

I'll leave behind, written on asbestos paper, instructions for how to burn fossil fuels & build an M-16 rifle.  That should give them a good head-start.

LOL! Cheesy We should engrave on the time capsule: "Our Legacy to the Ages"!

Kav

Jurisdiction: romanian in USA

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 12:32:05 AM »

Can I stop flossing?
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »

I wonder if the calander question will be settled by then?  If not, by then we could have new calendarists, old calendarists, really old calendarists, and ancient past all remembering calendarists...at some point one set ought to lap one of the others and they will all be back on the same calendar again.
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 12:05:57 AM »

While there isn't an official stance, there are a few different strains of thought within the Orthodox world:

1. The Earth is exactly how old the Bible says it is according to the numbers provided in Genesis and other places, and the science is just a distraction from true worship of God.
2. Science was given to man to study God's wonderful creation - and if science tells us that the world is millions or billions of years old, then that's probably how old it is - but this does not affect our view that God created all.

I personally fall into group #2, but I don't disparage anyone who falls into #1.

Agreed completely. 

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:26 AM »

The Bible is not a Science text.
Here is what St. Basil the Great says in his Hexameron:

Quote from: St. Basil the Great
Those who have written about the nature of the universe have discussed at length the shape of the earth.  If it be spherical or cylindrical, if it resemble a disc and is equally rounded in all parts, or if it has the forth of a winnowing basket and is hollow in the middle; all these conjectures have been suggested by cosmographers, each one upsetting that of his predecessor.  It will not lead me to give less importance to the creation of the universe, that the servant of God, Moses, is silent as to shapes; he has not said that the earth is a hundred and eighty thousand furlongs in circumference; he has not measured into what extent of air its shadow projects itself whilst the sun revolves around it, nor stated how this shadow, casting itself upon the moon, produces eclipses.  He has passed over in silence, as useless, all that is unimportant for us.  Shall I then prefer foolish wisdom to the oracles of the Holy Spirit?
Source

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »

I wonder if the calander question will be settled by then?  If not, by then we could have new calendarists, old calendarists, really old calendarists, and ancient past all remembering calendarists...at some point one set ought to lap one of the others and they will all be back on the same calendar again.

At some point the Revised Julian Calendar will lap the Julian Calendar; but it will be a number of thousands of years before that happens!

---------------------
Tags: science astronomy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: