OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:21:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archimandrite Tikhon elected Auxillairy Bishop?  (Read 1780 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: October 24, 2003, 03:16:57 PM »

I hear a rumor that Archimandrite Tikhon Abbot of St Tikhon's Monastery has been elected auxilliary Bishop for the diocese of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylavania (OCA).  Can anyone confirm?  Anastasios, any word about it at St Vlads?

Anyone have any background on him?

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 03:55:13 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 05:08:48 PM »

I haven't heard any news yet. But I'm not exactly "in the know" around here. ;-)

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 06:46:08 PM »

I hear a rumor that Archimandrite Tikhon Abbot of St Tikhon's Monastery has been elected auxilliary Bishop for the diocese of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylavania (OCA).  Can anyone confirm?  Anastasios, any word about it at St Vlads?

Anyone have any background on him?

AFAIK, Orthodoc, the *only* action concerning episcopal appointments made during the just-completed (as of yesterday) Fall Session of the OCA's Holy Synod of Bishops was the canonical election by the Holy Synod of His Grace, Bishop +NIKON of Baltimore, until now Auxiliary to the Metropolitan for the Albanian Archdiocese and the New England Diocese, as Bishop of Boston, Ruling Bishop of the Albanian Archdiocese.  Bishop +NIKON was elected as the Candidate for the vacant See of Boston by eligible voting delegates at the recently-completed Diocesan Assembly of the Albanian Archdiocese, hosted this year by St. Nicholas Albanian Orthodox Church, Jamaica Estates, NY.  Bishop +NIKON's administrative relationship with the New England Diocese is unclear now as a result of his canonical election as Ruling Bishop of the Albanian Archdiocese.

As far as Archimandrite Tikhon is concerned, he has just been appointed *Deputy Abbot* ("Namestnik") of St. Tikhon's Monastery.  His Beatitude, Metropolitan +HERMAN remains *Great Abbot* of St. Tikhon's Monastery in So. Canaan.  Perhaps Fr. Tikhon's appointment as Deputy Abbot has been confused with an episcopal appointment.  Rumors such as this are unreliable.

Now, if you want to start ecclesiastical rumors going, how about the one of Archimandrite Benjamin (Peterson), Dean of St. Herman's Seminary in Kodiak, AK, being considered as Vicar Bishop (Auxiliary) to the 70-year-old Bishop +TIKHON of San Francisco and the West, who would like to retire if he doesn't get an Auxiliary? Grin

Hypo-Ortho
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 09:07:05 PM »

We had our annual parish meeting today and our priest confirmed that Archimandrite Tikhon has indeed been chosen to be an auxilliary bishop for the Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania diocese of the OCA.  Metropolitan Herman will remain a locumTenets (sp?).

Orthodoc

Correction:  He will be an auxilliary bishop for south Canaan.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 09:18:47 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 09:24:39 PM »

That news just appeared on the OCA website, Orthodoc.

Archimandrite Tikhon [Mollard], Deputy Abbot of St. Tikhon's Monastery, has been canonically elected by the Holy Synod at its just-completed Fall Session in Syosset, NY, as Bishop of South Canaan, Auxiliary to the Metropolitan.  However, no mention was made of Bishop-elect Tikhon's appointment as Auxiliary specifically for the Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania in the official press release, but that may be coming shortly.

MANY YEARS to Bishop-elect Tikhon of South Canaan!

Hypo-Ortho
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 01:21:43 AM »

I met Archimandrite Tikhon a few years ago during a pilgrimage to St. Tikhons.  He struck me as a incredibly kind man whose intense gaze was fueled by joy in Christ.  From the moment I met him, I knew he'd make a wonderful bishop.  Axios!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: