OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 05:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox bibles  (Read 1697 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: April 10, 2009, 07:59:08 PM »

Other than just buying the much touted (though received with mixed reviews) Orthodox Study Bible put out by Thomas Nelson, where can I find an Orthodox bible?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
buzu
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »

The Orthodox NT (2 vol set) is pretty good. Better than the OSB. Of course if you want an OT then the newly released OSB is your only choice.
Kav

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: romanian in USA

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:46:25 PM »

For the Old Testament, the Septuagint is the text used in orthodoxy. The translation by Sir  Brenton is the most readily available and will cost you $30-$50 used or new at full retail.

The NT edition by Dormition Skete in Colorado is a recent translation from Greek. The Skete itself is center for no little controversy, but the text was a collaborative effort of many parties.
I found the translation interesting, but a difficult style.

Lastly, no orthodox would be ill served by the King James. It's translation is the end product of very brave christians who often were martyred for bringing the word into the linqua francais of the people. Just as a literary effort it influences western culture still.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:53:38 PM »

...for bringing the word into the linqua francais of the people.

A small clarification: The proper term is lingua franca (just to prevent any misunderstandings).  Smiley
Kav

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:40:22 AM »

Oops! my right finger knowest not what my left is doing.
But just remembr franco spaghetti- os are an american dish.
My fav personal bible is a gift.
I was driving down a steep grade and saw the van ahead of me obviously suffer a sudden shift in it's load, affecting his steering.
I pulled off behind him. It was a member of the Gideons. The van was a mess of spilled KJVs. I helped him repack while explaining my journey to orthodoxy. We shared the Gospel and parted, I gifted with another bible.
You can read it, but doing it is more important.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 03:40:12 AM »

For the Old Testament, the Septuagint is the text used in orthodoxy. The translation by Sir  Brenton is the most readily available and will cost you $30-$50 used or new at full retail.

You'd be better off buying The New English Translation of the Septuagint, which is far superior to Brenton's translation. Buying a copy only costs $24, and it is available online for free here.
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 06:16:31 AM »

A valuable resource: An Orthodox Look at Translations of the Bible.

http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/translations.htm

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 11:09:47 AM »

Thank you very much for that link!

Please let me know how I might contact the priest who wrote that article.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:17:46 AM »

Thank you very much for that link!

Please let me know how I might contact the priest who wrote that article.

Father John Whiteford can be reached at frjohnwhitford(at)gmail.com.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »

Thank you.

Considering how busy this upcoming week is likely to be, perhaps it may be best to contact him afterwards. Nonetheless, thank you for this email.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Kav

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »

Orthodox 11- Can you expand on the new translation's superiority?

Is it accuracy or readability?

Sometimes older britspeak can be 'fun.'
buzu
Moderated

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »

The NT edition by Dormition Skete in Colorado is a recent translation from Greek. The Skete itself is center for no little controversy, but the text was a collaborative effort of many parties.
I found the translation interesting, but a difficult style.

The good thing of the sir brenton is that it has the original greek side by side, so if you know alittle ancient greek, you can see what  actual greek word is used to translate into english.

The NT 2 Vol set by Dormition Skete translation has pros and cons. The good is that it can be an eye opener to see what the original greek conveyed which  isnt reproduced in the various english versions of the bible. The cons is that Mother Mary isnt a scholar and i take mych offense that the word makaria translated as "blessed" in most english bibles she chose in the footnotes to define it as 'happy'. Such as in the magnificat "Henceforth all generations shall call me blessed (happy)" This is not a correct understanding of the word. So caution must be taken. On the other hand, in my opinion what makes the NT set better than the OSB is that the commentaries on various passages are taken from the Church Fathers, while the OSB uses generic explanations.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:55:38 PM by buzu » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »

Both.

While Sir Lancelot Brenton translated from the Greek, he follows the structure of the Hebrew version. So while the rendering of individual verses reflect the Septuagint, the overall content reflects the Hebrew Masoretic texts. From what I understand, his actual translation was also off in many places.

The NETS is also more faithful to the LXX than the OSB, which retains NKJV (i.e. Hebrew) renderings in many places. However, it is an academic work, which means certain renderings, while linguistically accurate, are not suitable for liturgical use (e.g. "wind" instead of "spirit" in Genesis 1:1).

Furthermore, where there are significant difference between the LXX and later Greek manuscripts, the two are translated separately and displayed side by side in the NETS.
Kav

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »

Makes you want to slip in a video of The Bible and watch John Huston talk to the elephants.
buzu
Moderated

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »

Both.

While Sir Lancelot Brenton translated from the Greek, he follows the structure of the Hebrew version. So while the rendering of individual verses reflect the Septuagint, the overall content reflects the Hebrew Masoretic texts. From what I understand, his actual translation was also off in many places.

The NETS is also more faithful to the LXX than the OSB, which retains NKJV (i.e. Hebrew) renderings in many places. However, it is an academic work, which means certain renderings, while linguistically accurate, are not suitable for liturgical use (e.g. "wind" instead of "spirit" in Genesis 1:1).

Furthermore, where there are significant difference between the LXX and later Greek manuscripts, the two are translated separately and displayed side by side in the NETS.

Thanx for the insight, I'll look into getting a copy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: