OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:07:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "When the sun hid its rays" or "The Stranger"  (Read 927 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« on: April 09, 2009, 05:01:10 PM »

I have several different version of the text of the idiomel that is sung at the conclusion of the Holy Saturday Orthros that is commonly called "The Stranger" but I have yet to find a musical setting of it in English or even a recording of it in English. Does anyone have a source? The only music I have is one in Arabic with Byzantine notation and the only recording I have is in Greek.

Joseph
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:10:56 PM »

Check out podoben.com.

Look under mixed chorus/Great Lent/Vespers of Holy Saturday and check out Come, Let us Bless Joseph.  This may be what you are looking for.

In the Slavic tradition, this hymn is sung during the veneration of the Plashchenitsa (The Holy Shroud) after Vespers and Matins of Holy Saturday.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »

The hymn you are refering to is different.

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »

I have several different version of the text of the idiomel that is sung at the conclusion of the Holy Saturday Orthros that is commonly called "The Stranger" but I have yet to find a musical setting of it in English or even a recording of it in English. Does anyone have a source? The only music I have is one in Arabic with Byzantine notation and the only recording I have is in Greek. 

At the conclusion... When do you mean?  Are you referring to the Glory hymn just before the Doxology?  Or is it something else (that I can't seem to find!?)?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:48:24 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »

At the conclusion... When do you mean?  Are you referring to the Glory hymn just before the Doxology?  Or is it something else (that I can't seem to find!?)?

The only online version of the text I know is found here... http://www.anastasis.org.uk/HWSat-M.htm
The text is also found in the Lamentations publish Holy Nativity Convent in Boston and the Holy Week Service Book published by the Antiochian Archdiocese. The text is as follows...

When Joseph saw that the sun had hidden its rays and the veil of the temple had been rent in two at the death of the Saviour, he approached Pilate and entreated him, saying, ‘Give me this stranger, who since infancy has been a stranger in the world. Give me this stranger, whom members of his own race hated and slew as a stranger. Give me this stranger, whom I welcome as a stranger as I see the strangeness of his death. Give me this stranger, who knew how to welcome as strangers the poor and those who were strangers. Give me this stranger, whom Hebrews out of envy have made a stranger to the world. Give me this stranger, that I may hide in a tomb one who as a stranger has no place to lay his head. Give me this stranger, whose his mother when she saw him slain cried out, ‘O my Son and my God, though I am wounded to the core and torn to the heart as I see you dead, yet confident in your resurrection, I magnify you’.’ When he had with words like this entreated Pilate, the noble Joseph takes the Saviour’s body, and having in fear wrapped it in a winding sheet with myrrh, he placed in a tomb the One who grants the world eternal life and his great mercy.

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »

I've never seen that hymn or heard it (or at least I don't think I have).  Thanks for the link.  It's not included in my English Holy Week music (Fr. Seraphim Dedes').

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: