OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 09:57:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're going to die the way you live  (Read 603 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: April 08, 2009, 02:21:59 AM »

(LifeWire) -- When George Dello of San Diego was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and told he had at best five months to live, he didn't immediately begin the chemotherapy treatments his doctor recommended. Instead, he and his wife, Pam, drove up the California coast and spent a week among the redwoods north of San Francisco.  "These trees are 5 feet wide and 150 feet tall," said Dello, 43. "They still have another 150 feet to grow and are going to stick around for another 1,000 years. When I thought about that, I'm just a flea on the bark. It's unbelievable."

The trip offered Dello, who worked in the auto repossession business, and his wife a chance to come to terms with the diagnosis in August 2008, and to scratch the trip to the redwood forests off his life "to do" list while he was still relatively healthy.

He died four months later.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/04/07/lw.how.good.death/index.html

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:32:40 AM »

(LifeWire) -- When George Dello of San Diego was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and told he had at best five months to live, he didn't immediately begin the chemotherapy treatments his doctor recommended. Instead, he and his wife, Pam, drove up the California coast and spent a week among the redwoods north of San Francisco.  "These trees are 5 feet wide and 150 feet tall," said Dello, 43. "They still have another 150 feet to grow and are going to stick around for another 1,000 years. When I thought about that, I'm just a flea on the bark. It's unbelievable."

The trip offered Dello, who worked in the auto repossession business, and his wife a chance to come to terms with the diagnosis in August 2008, and to scratch the trip to the redwood forests off his life "to do" list while he was still relatively healthy.

He died four months later.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/04/07/lw.how.good.death/index.html

Everybody dies.

Not everyone lives.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »

Can we say that Mr. Dello was "repossessed" just as he "repossessed" cars?

The redwoods are a part of creation.  We may not know what Mr. Dello believed and we do know that the redwoods will still be a testament to creation while the fallen man goes to the big tow lot ... somewhere ...   Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: