OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:23:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monk Linda - the first lady monk!  (Read 4438 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: October 23, 2003, 01:27:54 PM »

On July 19,1999, the Knights of Prayer Gäó Monastic Order, a ministry of The Prayer Foundation Gäó, became the first Christian religious order ever to allow women monks.  

Monk Linda, one of two co-founders of The Prayer Foundation Gäó, became the first female monk in Christendom.   We feel it is about time a Christian Religious Order allowed a  woman monk.  Married monks are also allowed, as are lay people (ordinary Christians as monks).

http://prayerfoundation.org/monk_linda_first_lady_monk.htm
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 01:32:20 PM »

On July 19,1999, the Knights of Prayer Gäó Monastic Order, a ministry of The Prayer Foundation Gäó, became the first Christian religious order ever to allow women monks.  

What on earth are nuns?!?!

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 03:33:10 PM »

They seem to be off-color Franciscans.  Huh

Franciscan orders, BTW, have had lay members for a long time (called tertiaries). On our honeymoon we stayed at the house of a tertiary and did office prayers with him in his chapel.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 03:39:30 PM »

Dear Prayer Foundation,

I think you all are on the right path--monasticism is the way to purge our sinful passions and be restored to the image of Christ.

However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but LInda is not the first female monk! In the Orthodox tradition, the sex of the monastic is not really that important; sure there are male or female monasteries but both are referred to as "monastics" in a neutral sense; the thought is they have entered an angelic life that is not based on sexuality.  Both wear almost the same garb, covered from head to toe in black.

If you want to learn more about monasteries, please see http://www.saintanthonymonastery.org or do an internet search on Mount Athos.  There are also several other places you could go to learn.

Godspeed!

Anastasios
webmaster, http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 03:43:00 PM »

LOLOLOL... i think I'm gonna join up... I like the green hoody outfits... ;-)

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 05:39:57 PM »

You're right, of course, anastasios.  In Orthodoxy at least, both males and females who have been tonsured into monasticism are referred to as monastics and wear almost identical garb.  For clarification, however, female monastics are also referred to as "nuns," while male monastics are known as "monks."

What's next among the heterodox?  Monkesses?  Grin  First "lady monk" indeed!

Hypo-Ortho
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 05:43:48 PM »

Yeah, can I become a male nun? Grin
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 05:47:39 PM »

Elisha, you do know that means NONE of this and NONE of that!  Wink

Hypo-Ortho
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 05:56:52 PM »

Elisha, you do know that means NONE of this and NONE of that!  Wink

Hypo-Ortho

Ummm...I guess I understand Huh
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 06:16:34 PM »

Aaaaaargh!  Play on words: NONE = NUN.   Grin

Hypo
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 07:28:22 PM »

She looks curiously vagante
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 08:10:38 PM »

curiosly vagante and like a raging feminist.  Great combination!
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 08:23:34 PM »

She looks like an elf in the pictures. Anyway, if she can be a monk, then I want to be a nun.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 08:36:34 PM »

She's kinda cute in a way, although I do concur, and said this privately hours ago, that she looked kinda like an elf in that green get up.  

Curiously vagante indeed.  Long live SummerFest!!

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2003, 09:17:57 PM »

Saaaaaaay..... do OUR monks get neat certificates and wallet ID too?  I mean, you never know when you're going to be asked for ID...
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 10:59:59 PM »

umm Mor, I don't understand the ref to summerfest?

I agree, she looks very vagante with a healthy skosh of feminazism thrown in.

Joe Zolalrs

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2003, 04:35:45 AM »

Yeah, can I become a male nun? Grin

Elisha, I tried to upload a certificate for you but there seems to be a problem with attachments at the moment.

I'll get back to you Grin

John
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2003, 07:20:54 AM »

I agree, she looks very vagante with a healthy skosh of feminazism thrown in.

Please, Joe: you're just tossing meaningless insults around. Read some Mary Daly before you start talking about "feminazis".

Actually, I don't think this looks anything like vagante, which is (after all) someone who comes from a real tradition but tries to escape the discipline of it while at the same time "preserving" it.

To me it looks like they are actually a "legitimate" protestant group who are being awakened to some of their Western heritage. They don't have it "right", and they may or may not awaken to the fact that what they are doing looks goofy, but Hey! would you rather they decided that Jesus was an incarnation of the Buddha?

Remember HOOM. . .
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2003, 07:28:41 AM »

Attachments fixed, Wink

bobby
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2003, 10:42:52 AM »

Woohoohoo. That's real funny. Then perhaps I - a guy - may now call myself a girl.

NULL
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2003, 01:03:12 PM »

Some thoughts/emotions (or whatever that mood thing is supposed to mean):
 Roll Eyes Tongue
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2003, 05:06:52 PM »

Protestants are the most vagante of all.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2003, 01:29:57 AM »

The Prayer foundation was not too happy with one of our posters posting a certificate of theirs on our site so I took it down in accordance with copyright law.

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2003, 01:30:04 AM »

Dear Anastasios,

Thank you for your email.  We pray that you draw ever closer to Christ as you pursue your theological studies.  

The Prayer Foundation TM is an Interdenominational Protestant ministry who's purpose is to encourage prayer among all Christians, whether Protestant, Roman Catholic or Orthodox, and at the same time to "lift up Christ, that He may draw all to Himself."  As such our web site consists mainly of prayer teaching & resources from all Church traditions (including Orthodox) which we feel will help to accomplish this purpose.  The Prayer Foundation TM currently has volunteers who are involved in our minstry in eleven countries worldwide.  At this time our Knights of Prayer TM Monastic Order has Lay Monastics in thirteen U.S. States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.  

We are also essentially a Lay Protestant Franciscan Order with roots in our traditional Celtic Monastic heritage (re: St. Columcille, St. Aidan, St. Columbanus, and others).  As you probably already know, the Celtic Christian Church and Monks tended to look to the Orthodox Churches, particularly Antioch, rather than the Roman Catholic Church for guidance and historical precedent. However, Celtic Monasticism was unique in allowing married monks in the 600 years between 500 A.D. and 1100 A.D. (at that time, at the Synod of Cashel in Ireland, the Irish Celtic Church was absorbed by the Roman Catholic Church, also ending historical Celtic Monasticism).  St. Francis also created the Franciscan Third Order for lay persons, including marrieds: the First Order being for men, and the Second Order for women).  

Orthodox, Roman Catholics, and Anglicans already have their own Monastic Orders.  What we are trying to do with our Order is provide the option of a Lay Monastic Order for members of those Protestant Churches that do not have that monastic option in their tradition: Southern Baptists, Lutherans, Assemblies of God; in fact, most Protestant Churches.

The Roman Catholic and Anglican traditions also refer to their Nuns as "monastics."  In these traditions, as in the Orthodox tradition, "monk" is a term that refers not merely to sexuality but to function. This is the way in which we use it.  A "nun" in the traditional communions cannot administer Baptism, Communion, or hold many Church Offices.  We realize the Orthodox Church does not allow these things, however, as Protestant Christians we hold to the Reformation doctrine of the "priesthood of all believers."  We therefore believe that in Christ "there is neither male nor female" and that all Christian women are priests of God, as well as all Christian men, not just ministers, having direct access to God through Christ our only mediator.  We therefore allow any Christian man or woman to baptize or administer communion.  This is in accordance with the Celtic Christian tradition which allowed women in important positions of ministry.

With us this is all a matter of following our Celtic Church tradition and heritage and our Reformation Protestant tradition and heritage.  We are conservative theologically as to the Church Councils (re: the Apostle's and Nicene Creeds) and as to the teachings of the historical Protestant Reformers.  We have no interest in modern feminism whatsoever, or for that matter, in modern theological liberalism.  Apparently we must apolgize for not expressing this clearly on our web site.  Monk Linda is not a vagante, but rather is a trailblazer and role model for Protestant women who want to enter into traditional, historical monasticism which has been denied them (and denied to male Protestants, also, unless one belonged to the Anglican Communion).  There is no interest on the part of our female monastics in the fact that the term "monk" has been historically and traditionally used in a masculine sense.  The interest is only our attempt to provide the same historic tradition equally to lay men, women and married persons (again, this is how we view our Celtic Christian and Reformation Protestant heritage and tradition; we do not ask you to agree, or expect you to---after all, you are Orthodox, not Celtic Christian or Protestant).

We are however, somewhat disappointed that fellow Christians on an Orthodox web site (we have only the utmost repect for the Orthodox tradition) would violate the law by posting our copyrighted Certificate and containing our Trademarked logo and changing it for the sole purpose of ridiculing a Protestant Franciscan Order because it does not believe and do things exactly as you do in the Orthodox tradition.  

Of course, you have every right to "make fun of" Christians of a different historical tradition than your own on your web site (as Americans), but we do ask that you would please remove from your web site the copy of our Monastic Certificate which you have altered and posted in violation of United States Copyright and Trademark law.

You are more than welcome to post our response (as long as it is not edited) on your otherwise fine web site.  We apologize for its length.

Yours in Christ,

Rev. S. G. Preston, K.P.M.O

President, The Prayer Foundation TM
Minister General, Knights of Prayer TM Monastic Order
Interdenominational Prayer Teaching and Resources
Web Site: www.prayerfoundation.org  

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2003, 01:39:47 AM »

Friends,

As you can see the Prayer Foundation was a bit upset that some of us made fun of them.  While we as Orthodox believe that theologically they are a bit off, we can surely applaud them for their good intentions and for "putting their money where their mouth is" so to speak.

I found the idea of calling a female monastic a "monk" a bit strange, so I wrote them, and as you can see they have a reason for doing what they do.  So even though we might disagree with them, let's just leave it at that.

anastasios

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2003, 01:51:27 AM »

I just never heard of getting a certificate as a monastic.  May I have one by mail order please?  Cheesy

Hypo-Ortho
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: