OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 07:43:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quoting Text  (Read 2273 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: April 07, 2009, 03:38:06 AM »

Yes I did, I'm learning how to post in here. I wish I could put your comments in those nice squares, but I can't. For replying I use the quote button, because it doesn't have a reply one, however, this makes a mess with the spaces and squares. It's frustrating.

All you need to remember is that quoted text begins and ends with the "quote tags".

This quote tag marks the beginning of quoted text:
Code:
[quote]

And this quote tag marks the end of quoted text:
Code:
[/quote]

Anything you type between these tags will appear in a box as quoted text.
For example, the text:
Code:
[quote]This is the quoted text[/quote]

will appear as:
This is the quoted text

Now, if you quote from someone's post using the quote button, it will quote the text and provide a link to where it came from. For example, the text I quoted from you at the top of this post was entered as:
Code:
[quote author=Pravoslav09 link=topic=20520.msg307923#msg307923 date=1239087294]
Yes I did, I'm learning how to post in here. I wish I could put your comments in those nice squares, but I can't. For replying I use the quote button, because it doesn't have a reply one, however, this makes a mess with the spaces and squares. It's frustrating.[/quote]
This not only shows where the quote comes from, but provides a "clickable link" to the quoted post.
When you type your response to a quote, make sure you start typing AFTER the [/quote] tag, otherwise, your text will appear as part of the quote.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:38:34 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:09:23 AM »

How do you partially excerpt a quote from a post?  When I deleted the text I didn't want to quote, it showed up in my post as blank within the blue background, as if it was a quote.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:47:23 AM »

How do you partially excerpt a quote from a post?  When I deleted the text I didn't want to quote, it showed up in my post as blank within the blue background, as if it was a quote.

I'm confused about what actually happened in your case. Could you elaborate??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:20:45 AM »

Of course.  I clicked on "Quote;" then I "back spaced" on the words and sentences that I did not want in my quote.  When I was done, and posted the quote and my comments, the words I had deleted were gone, but a large blue box remained; the blue box that would have included what I had deleted by back spacing.

If you would walk me through how to delete portions of a quote that I do not want to re-quote in my reply, that would be helpful.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:22:37 AM »

Is the above something like what you saw? If so, in addition to the text you want deleted, you also have to delete the corresponding "quote author" stuff at the top of the quote, and /quote tag at the bottom, so you get this instead...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:25:00 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:46 AM »

For example, if you wanted to quote what John of the North said in reply #2, but not the quote of you that he was replying to, you would delete the stuff underlined in red in this image to get that result:

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 06:34:50 AM »

Next time I have reason to do so, I will, but that is what I thought I did, and I got this big blue, blank box from what I had deleted.  I'll indicate here what happens next time I do it.  Thanks for your help.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: