OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:22:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1054 stats  (Read 783 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: April 04, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »

Does one know what were the ratio of four Christian Churches in 1054? Catholics to EOs to OOs to Nestorians? Are there any reliable historical researches?
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:16:45 AM »

Recently, there was a book that came out called "The Lost History of Christianity: The Thousand-Year Golden Age of the Church in the Middle East, Asia and Africa - and How It Died" by Phillip Jenkins.

In it, Jenkins states that until the second millenium, the majority of Christians lived outside of Europe. In fact, he states that the Nestorian Catholicos of what is now Iraq actually had the largest flock. This remained true until the Mongol Invasions and the depredations of the invader Tamurlane, who specifically targeted the Asian Christians for eradication.

Unfortunately, I've only read reviews of the book, not the book itself. I'd be interested to pick up a copy and see where he gets his information though.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:25:33 AM by Eugenio » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: