Author Topic: What is up with the Calendar  (Read 966 times)

Offline truthstalker

What is up with the Calendar
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »
A while back I read about an ancient, big battle in the church as to when to date Easter.  Then I look at an Orthodox calendar, and I quickly observe there is a week difference between Catholic and Orthodox Easter dates.

What is up with that?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:33:58 PM by truthstalker »

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
Re: What is up with the Calendar
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:35 PM »
Actually the date will vary depending on the year....for example in 2007 it was on the same day, last year they were several weeks apart.

The easiest way to describe it is essentially the Roman catholics use the Gregorian calendar to calculate the date of easter, the Orthodox church uses the Julian there is a thirteen day difference in the two calendars....
“Find the door of your heart, and you will discover it is the door to the kingdom of God.” - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:09:40 PM »
I added a tag at the bottomn that will be very helpful for you to do some research.  This topic has come up a lot in the past.   :)
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that