OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:38:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man overdosed in our parish parking lot during pan-Orthodox meeting  (Read 1877 times) Average Rating: 0
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« on: April 06, 2009, 12:18:44 PM »

Yesterday several Orthodox communities from surrounding cities gathered together at our home parish for a common “pan-Orthodox” Sunday evening vespers.  Such meetings are always a joy because they allow interaction with so many people outside your home parish… people who you can tangibly relate to as fellow-strugglers in the same universal Faith.  It always feels like a big family reunion (indeed, that’s exactly what it is). 

To fully understand the context of this story, I first need to mention a brief word about our parish:

Our parish is in the middle of the city’s ghetto.  Many years ago, our church building had been a central place of drug-dealing/production and satanic rituals, literally.  It was known in the city as the “anarchist hangout.”  Most anarchist activity in the city (destruction, vandalism, large-scale-riots, etc.) usually stemmed from this location.   We have pictures of what the building’s interior used to look like: the walls were covered in absolutely chaotic and horrendous “art.”  It took us several months just to pick up all the syringes in the backyard area.

However, when our parish was founded ten years ago, things in the neighborhood began to change.  Before our building became a church, it had been the center, the rallying-point for the neighborhood’s ill-willed activity.  But now this central location has been transformed into an Orthodox parish that pours and extends God’s grace into the community. 

The city’s homeless shelter is only a couple blocks away from the church, and we regularly feed hundreds of homeless people each month during free Saturday breakfasts.  Over the years, several people from the shelter have converted to Orthodoxy, or at least attend services regularly.  People often come in who haven’t been in the neighborhood for many years… and they always comment over and over about how wonderful it is that our building is now “a place of beauty and peace instead of death and despair.” 

As a whole, the neighborhood still has a lot of illegal activity, but much less than ten years ago.  It is slowly transitioning from being a “drug neighborhood” to an area of less-expensive/young-family housing.

…So, back to yesterday’s events:  After our pan-Orthodox vespers we had a finger-food potluck dinner.  Everyone was having a really good time fellowshipping together.  Suddenly, the woman who manages our bookstore came up to me and another man from the parish.  She handed us a phone and frantically said:

“Someone just said there’s a man passed out on the ground in the parking lot.  Please take this phone, go back there, see what happened, and call the police!”

Without a word all of the men at the table got up and began hurrying out the door.  We have a large amount of land behind the church, and the parking lot (outside our fence) goes back a couple hundred yards from the street.  At the very back of the lot we saw two homeless people frantically waving at us and signaling where the man on the ground was.  Two of the men in our group are physicians, and they immediately started CPR.  As I looked at the man on the ground, I knew he wasn’t conscious.  I immediately pulled out my prayer rope, made the sign of the cross over him and began saying the Jesus Prayer.  However, within seconds, I thought:

“There are several priests and deacons inside the church… GO GET THEM!!!”

Without hesitating, I sprinted back into the church faster than I’ve ever ran in my life… found the nearest black robe I could see and gasped:

“WE NEED A PRIEST!  A man outside might be dead!” 

After alerting all the clergy, I went with them back out into the parking lot.  (Most people remained inside praying.)  As we came up to the man on the ground, the two physicians were still giving CPR.  There was nothing we could do except pray and wait for the ambulance.

At this point, scores of people from the community had gathered around to see what was happening.  But then, instead of simply witnessing a tragic event (a kind which is unfortunately a common scene in the neighborhood)… these people also saw, one by one, several men in black robes with large metal crosses coming out and making the sign of the cross over the man on the ground, accompanied by the rest of us “normal-looking” people who stood attentively with prayer ropes, crossing ourselves and quietly praying.

As all the various people from the community continued to gather around… they were absolutely astonished at how “naturally” we were handling the situation.  They were witnessing the inherent connection of our Faith with earthly suffering/impermanence… a concept which is virtually lost on most Americans… especially in a city where New-Age-pleasure-oriented “spirituality” is the norm.

The ambulance soon arrived, and the pediatricians proclaimed the man dead from an overdose.  However, they were just as equally impressed by the scene as the neighborhood bystanders.  These ambulance workers were calloused to physical death, but they were completely shocked to witness a community reacting in such a healthy way to death (both physically and spiritually)… especially when the deceased was a complete stranger.

A young Hispanic man, most likely from a Roman Catholic background, slowly approached us.  Our city doesn’t have many Hispanics or Catholics.  Therefore, both culturally and religiously, he was in a very “foreign land.”  However, as he approached all of us fairly “light-skinned” folk and saw our bearded black-robed clergy with large metal crosses, long-sleeved men, scarf-covered women, prayer ropes, everyone making numerous signs of the cross… at this point he looked at all of us with an expression that said: “Wow, as incredible as it seems, I actually understand you guys.  I didn’t know any of you Americans actually respect tradition.  Maybe I should come visit this church soon.”

Once the pediatricians had pulled the sheet over the deceased, we all went back inside and assembled in the church for an abbreviated funeral service for non-Orthodox.  During the last few months a man and woman from the homeless shelter have been regularly attending services throughout the week.  The two of them were present at today’s Liturgy and Vespers... and I later saw them both in the funeral service as the man told the woman the name of the deceased (it turns out they both knew him).  Both of them lit candles for the deceased and wept quietly.  Indeed, many of us shed tears as we prayed for the soul of God’s servant, whom we only know as:  Roy

+Lord have mercy

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:22:30 PM by _Seraphim_ » Logged

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »

Lord have mercy on him, and may He continue to strengthen your community in His mercy and abundant Love for mankind.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »

Wow. Good to know how banded together your community is, Seraphim! May God have compassion on the soul of the deceased man! Sad
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:26:38 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:39:23 PM »

May Roy's memory be eternal, and may God preserve and strengthen your community.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »

May His Memory Be Eternal.....Amen Amen...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »

May the ground covering Roy be light and may Roy be granted eternal rest.

Holy God.  Holy Mighty.  Holy Immortal, Have Mercy on your servant Roy.

Amen!
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »

This truly brought me to tears.  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.  May God bless your community, who came together so beautifully to help and pray for one in need!  May Roy's memory be eternal!

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »

Lord have mercy, and may He make his memory to be eternal!

And may He look at the vinyard which He has planted by your hands, and establish it!  It would seem your parish has taken Satan head on.  Continue the good work!

Thanks for sharing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »

Sad but beautiful story. I really admire your behaviour.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »

Lord have mercy! I'm glad to see a parish doing such great work in an area like that one.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 10:52:32 PM »

Dear Lord, please grant eternal rest to Roy! Dear Jesus, please bless Your parish, which works very hard in order to enhance people's lives.

Seraphim, thank you very much for sharing this story. I highly commend your actions. You are a hero!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:57:48 PM by Starlight » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 05:58:06 AM »

Lord, grant rest to our brother Roy who died surrounded by Faith, Hope and Love.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:03:44 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 07:23:25 AM »

Memory Eternal. Lord, have mercy.

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »

O Lord, have mercy on Your people, and may Roy's memory be eternal.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 11:49:09 PM »

While the first time that one uses a substance is usually voluntary, the substance sooner or later will change the way your body, especially your brain, works and you become a victim of a disease. A chronic disease much like heart disease or diabetes. Sometimes, a person can quit on their own, but in the majority of the cases they need faith-based healing, AA/NA groups and/or treatment.

There are ways that our parishes can help. The easiest is to sponsor an AA or NA group. I know of some churches (Protestant) in my state that operate recovery houses. If you can do this, it would a God-blessed ministry. Of course, the soup kitchen that Seraphim's church operates is also of help as it reminds the addicts of their full humanity.

It was a truly tragic but inspirational story. I also thank you for sharing. May ther Lord have mercy on Roy's soul; I believe he is in a better place now. Glory be to God!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 12:45:37 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: