OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 02:20:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it ok for Eastern Orthodox Christians to pray with Catholics?
Yes, definitely - 10 (25%)
Yes, but only outside the liturgy - 20 (50%)
No, never - 10 (25%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it proper for Eastern Orthodox Christians to Pray with Catholics?  (Read 5696 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »

I think a person who is knowledgeable and secure in his faith can use their own prudent judgement on this matter. Once in a while (maybe several times a year) I will go to a friend's Evangelical service or my father's Baptist service, and I will certainly pray with the congregation, who are brethren in the sense of being baptized Christians. However, when I hear something not in accord with the Catholic faith, I will abstain (of course, the most predictable area is communion time---no little cups of grape juice and cracker packets for me---but sometimes I will not pray the prayer offered by the minister or sing a hymn sung by the congregation if it is problematic).

As far as I can remember, I can't think of a time where I needed to "abstain" at an Orthodox Divine Liturgy (except for Communion, of course).
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »

There is another story which addresses the donatism question...

An old granny used to see how the priest would arrive at church, bowed down with the weight of a body which he had to carry on his back everywhere he went.  He had murdered someone.  When he came to the church doors the body always slipped from his shoulders and he entered the house of God and served the holy Liturgy.   When he left the church he again picked up the burden of the dead body at the door.

That has to be the best illustration I've ever heard for this. Thanks for sharing.
Tags: ecumenism prayer with heterodox 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: