OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:26:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mecca mosques 'wrongly aligned'  (Read 1115 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: April 05, 2009, 11:53:39 PM »

And to think, we're worried about Orthodox legalism; and the Muslims have people wondering if their prayers are invalidated by a misdirected niche in their Mosques... misdirected by a few degrees only!

=============================================================

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7984556.stm

Some 200 mosques in Islam's holiest city, Mecca, point the wrong way for prayers, reports from Saudi Arabia say.

All mosques have a niche showing the direction of the most sacred Islamic site, the Kaaba, an ancient cube-like building in Mecca's Grand Mosque.

But people looking down from recently built high-rises in Mecca found the niches in many older mosques were not pointing directly towards the Kaaba.

Some worshippers are said to be anxious about the validity of their prayers.

There have been suggestions that laser beams could be used to make an exact measurement.

Tawfik al-Sudairy, Islamic affairs ministry deputy secretary, downplayed the problem in remarks quoted by the pan-Arab newspaper al-Hayat.

"There are no major errors but corrections have been made for some old mosques, thanks to modern techniques," he said.

"In any case, it does not affect the prayers."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »

And to think, we're worried about Orthodox legalism; and the Muslims have people wondering if their prayers are invalidated by a misdirected niche in their Mosques... misdirected by a few degrees only!

=============================================================

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7984556.stm

Some 200 mosques in Islam's holiest city, Mecca, point the wrong way for prayers, reports from Saudi Arabia say.

All mosques have a niche showing the direction of the most sacred Islamic site, the Kaaba, an ancient cube-like building in Mecca's Grand Mosque.

But people looking down from recently built high-rises in Mecca found the niches in many older mosques were not pointing directly towards the Kaaba.

There have been suggestions that laser beams could be used to make an exact measurement.

Tawfik al-Sudairy, Islamic affairs ministry deputy secretary, downplayed the problem in remarks quoted by the pan-Arab newspaper al-Hayat.

"There are no major errors but corrections have been made for some old mosques, thanks to modern techniques," he said.

"In any case, it does not affect the prayers."

In Saudi Arabia a special official has to look over all blue prints of buildings and certify that no toilet is facing nor has its back to Mecca.  I kid you not.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:45:22 AM »

In Saudi Arabia a special official has to look over all blue prints of buildings and certify that no toilet is facing nor has its back to Mecca.  I kid you not.

That sounds like a level of popular/cultural reverence and piety that you would applaud if it were being done in an Orthodox context.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »

LOL! So much for Allah being "All-Powerful", eh? I'd laugh myself silly if some "holy cleric" actually sent out a statement saying a few measly degrees off causes prayers to be less influencing... Wink

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:03:26 PM »

I believe it; they're serious about their bowel movements over there - they must get lots of practice, defecating on their masses of poor.

LOL! So much for Allah being "All-Powerful", eh? I'd laugh myself silly if some "holy cleric" actually sent out a statement saying a few measly degrees off causes prayers to be less influencing... Wink

It's one thing to prefer one's prayers be directed in a certain way (like Orthodoxy, preferring East); it's another to be worried that your prayers are invalidated by a compass error.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 02:37:42 PM »

LOL! So much for Allah being "All-Powerful", eh?

Be careful.  Many of our Arab Orthodox brethren on here use this name in reference to Our Lord, Allah, and Savior Isa, born of the Virgin Maryam.  Don't be so racist and careless with your posts.  I doubt the Orthodox, Arab-speaking Copts, Palestinians and Syrians appreciate your blanket mockery of "Allah."

I believe it; they're serious about their bowel movements over there - they must get lots of practice, defecating on their masses of poor.

What the hell is this about?  Alms-giving is a central tenet of Islam.  Are you mocking their region's poverty or something?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:05:41 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »

That sounds like a level of popular/cultural reverence and piety that you would applaud if it were being done in an Orthodox context.

I don't know: I don't think of piety and bowel movements together usually (and yes, Muslim sources do).

It irks me when Churches aren't facing East, but I live with it (my parish faces south, btw, and my original one faced north).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »

Be careful.  Many of our Arab Orthodox brethren on here use this name in reference to Our Lord, Allah, and Savior Isa, born of the Virgin Maryam.  Don't be so racist and careless with your posts.  I doubt the Orthodox, Arab-speaking Copts, Palestinians and Syrians appreciate your blanket mockery of "Allah."

Btw, only Muslims say Isa.  Christians say Yasuu'.

What the hell is this about?  Alms-giving is a central tenant of Islam.  Are you mocking their region's poverty or something?

If I may speak for Cleaveland, I think he was thinking more about the gold toilet seats (think Emir of Kuwait) and their direction which seem to preoccupy the rich and powerful there, besides crushing the opposition of the poor to their rule and hypocrisy.

Alms are a central tenet, but it is not what you might think.  But I have to go, so I can't go into detail at this time.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:29:53 AM »

First off, I was not mocking the name of God that certain Orthodox prefer to use. I was mocking the potential lack of faith that some Muslims might have of God's Power to hear their prayers because they might think a few degrees off of where you pray would have any influence whatsoever over His ability to hear their prayers, since it's the Muslims and not the Christians who are required to pray toward Mecca. I know that because I come from a Muslim family. I was also mocking the many "holy clerics"  Islam has who think that the religious garbage that often comes out of their mouths has more spiritual standing than common sense, the Names of Allah, and plain Faith! I was not mocking Allah at all, but the potential bad understanding of His Powers by human beings, especially often by those who wear a cleric's robes! I was not mocking, but presenting a little common sense. If any Muslim or Islamic cleric would be silly enough to believe that a few degrees off of proper direction has any power over God, then my words would apply to their thinking:
So much for Allah being "All-Powerful", eh?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:34:53 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 01:34:25 AM »

Simply search "pews" on this forum or look for a certain forum whose namesake is also the patron of cooks - Muslims have no monopoly on stupidity. 
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 01:36:05 AM »

Simply search "pews" on this forum or look for a certain forum whose namesake is also the patron of cooks - Muslims have no monopoly on stupidity. 

Oh, I know that. There's a general saying that "where there are humans in groups, stupidity follows".  Wink
What forum would that be, btw?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:37:58 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 01:54:35 AM »

Blessed Euphrosynos would have chopped up pews and used the wood to fuel the fires of his holy kitchen!  The food would have given the True Orthodox the strength to stand through the liturgy.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 01:59:52 AM »

While at the Euphrosynos forum, be sure to pick up a stylish "Orthodoxy or Death!!!" coffee mug:

You can place it on your "Not World Orthodox" coaster to keep your computer desk from getting water rings while you search the internet for the latest heresies:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:00:11 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: