OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 07:37:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book on Orthodox Worship  (Read 1190 times) Average Rating: 0
falafel333
Elder

« on: April 05, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »

Whenever I read any texts on Byzantine and Slavic worship, whether on this forum or anywhere else, I come across so many terms that it can often be quite confusing. Terms such as Parakliti, Octoichos, Pentecostarion, Triodion, Menaion, Menlogoion, Irmos, Orthros, Akathist, Stichera, etc

I was just wondering if there's any good book recommendations that anyone can make that may provide some explanation of Byzantine and Slavic worship and define some of the terms mentioned above.

If there's anything that provides information with regards to the history and authorship of some of these prayers and hymns that would be great as well.

On another note I was just wondering if anyone might have any good book recommendations with regards to the Byzantine and Slavic liturgy service (euchologion) and services of the hours (horologion).

Thanks in advance
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »

Whenever I read any texts on Byzantine and Slavic worship, whether on this forum or anywhere else, I come across so many terms that it can often be quite confusing. Terms such as Parakliti, Octoichos, Pentecostarion, Triodion, Menaion, Menlogoion, Irmos, Orthros, Akathist, Stichera, etc

I was just wondering if there's any good book recommendations that anyone can make that may provide some explanation of Byzantine and Slavic worship and define some of the terms mentioned above.

If there's anything that provides information with regards to the history and authorship of some of these prayers and hymns that would be great as well.

On another note I was just wondering if anyone might have any good book recommendations with regards to the Byzantine and Slavic liturgy service (euchologion) and services of the hours (horologion).

Thanks in advance

One of Bishop Ware's translations, I think the Lenten Triodion but maybe the Festal Menaion gives an overview of the structure of the services, differences between Greek and Slavonic use (and names), etc.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:40:16 PM »

I'll take a stab at it (copying your spelling, even if I would transliterate it differently, just for consistency's sake):

Parakliti, Octoichos, They are the same book (2 different names for the same one) - a book of hymns for every day of the week (Saturday evening through the following Saturday morning) in the Eight Modes/Tones, based on the commemorations of the day (Sunday = Resurrection, Thursday = Apostles, etc.).  This is a foundational book for the services of Vespers, Midnight Office, and Matins in the daily cycle.  It will frequently also contain hymns sung during the Matins services on weekdays in Lent (although these hymns are usually in the back section).

Pentecostarion, The book for the season between Pascha and All Saints Sunday (which is 57 days); this book replaces the "Parakliti, Octoichos" during this time period.

Triodion, The book with hymns for the period between the Sunday of the Publican and Pharisee and Great and Holy Saturday; the three sections are Pre-Lent, Lent, and Holy Week.  During Pre-Lent, it supplements the "Parakliti, Octoichos" on weekends (generally); during Lent, it supplements the "Parakliti, Octoichos" on weekends and replaces it on weekdays (generally); during Holy Week it replaces completely the "Parakliti, Octoichos."

Menaion, Menlogoion, - Two terms for the same books - the books with hymns for the commemorations of the dates of the year (for example, December 6 is St. Nicholas of Myra, January 7 is the Synaxis of St. John the Baptist).  Depending on the feast, this either supplements the "Parakliti, Octoichos" or replaces it (for larger feastdays).

Irmos, - A hymn of a Canon which is used as a musical pattern for other hymns.

Orthros, - Also called "Matins," this is the Dawn service in the daily cycle of Orthodox worship.

Akathist, - A collection of poems (called Kontakia and Oikoi) which is read/intoned/chanted without sitting down (Akathist literally means "without sitting").  The most famous Akathist is the one that St. Romanos the Melodist wrote to the Virgin Mary (done on the Fridays of Great Lent in the Roman/Byzantine tradition).

Stichera - A generic term for "a hymn."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »

Perhaps this can be a sticky for others to read:  A glossary of Orthodox Worship.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: