OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 03:52:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My car  (Read 1837 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: April 05, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

My car acted up pretty badly with all these lovely flashing warning lights on the way to services this morning. (gotta love those computerized cars that "talk" to you when they need repair!)So I turned around and headed home instead of continuing on. (and the car wouldn't go above 60, which on I-5 here in the Puget sound can be dangerous! I have a huge hulking SUV with lots of power so this is a bad sign) I got it and us safely home. And when I tried to turn it off and on it was OK. Nonetheless this makes me nervous. Tomorrow I will be taking it into the shop to get looked at. We don't have the money to fix it. But as a military spouse I can apply for a grant (AER) to cover the repairs. Please pray for me that I can get it to the shop and that AER will be approved. I have very good grounds to apply for the grant-only car, pregnant, and three kids. But all grants go before a board for approval. They could give me a loan instead-but that wouldn't really be good for us financially.  Or they could disallow the assistance altogether. For rather obvious reasons I really need this car to be working as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:38:52 PM by Quinault » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:26:25 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:05:42 PM »

O Master, Lord our God, hearken unto the prayer which we now send up to You, and bless this vehicle with Your holy right hand;

Send down upon it Thy guardian Angel, that all who desire to journey therein may be safely preserved and shielded from every evil end;

And as the Ethiopian, riding in the chariot and reading of Your holy prophecy, was granted faith and Grace through Your Apostle Philip,

So do You now manifest the path of salvation to Your servants who shall travel in this conveyance, that with Your helping grace they may be clothed upon with good works and after the completion of this life may be vouchsafed' everlasting joy in Your heavenly Kingdom,

For Yours is the might, and the Kingdom, and the power, and unto You do we send up glory; to Father, and to Son, and to Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »

Amen.
Lord have mercy.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:40:38 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »

Lord Have mercy

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »

I got my car to the shop just fine today. The engine light wasn't even on as I drove there. The day was beautiful, sunny and about 70. The kids were good on the bus and I didn't lose my mind or have too many contractions Grin

But apparently my car is pretty unhappy. It needs;

a replacement inner left tie rod end
a replacement idler arm
a replacement pitman arm
new cat converter
resealed intake manifold gasket
serviced differentials and transfer case
Brake system flush
Parking brake adjustment
alignment
replacement air filter element

and then a couple foo-foo things like an oil change, license plate bulbs and replacement of my third brake light LED bulb.

My extended warranty should cover about half of the above stuff. Although the warranty people are taking their time faxing an approval. But I need AER to cover the rest. And AER is becoming a real hassle-moreso than I thought it would be. Apparently I have to go in person to seek assistance. The problem being that the location I must go to for that is about 25 miles away. And I have to get new ID to even start the process. My ID is red-National Guard they want we to get orange-active duty army ID first. You would really have to be in the military to understand just how frustrating getting ID can be. If you show up on a slow day you can be in and out in a matter of moments. BUT if you arrive on a busy day where they are working thru a mobilizing group the wait can be hours. And then the wait can be hours for AER as well. Then you factor in the fact that military hours are far from reliable. Take today for example- I made a bunch of calls to various places on base before 4 pm, none of them were open. Lunch "hours" can be 2 hours, closing time can be anywhere between 3 to 6 depending upon the mood (and weather). This process of getting approval to even start repairs could literally take me 2-3 days, not to mention the 2 days of repair. I have to wait for the warranty people to approve the repairs, then the shop will give me an updated estimate, then I get new ID, then take the estimate along with about 40 other pages of stuff to get approval for the grant. And I have to somehow do all this without a car to drive all over the place with at least 1 kid likely all 3) in tow. This will all work out I know, but at the moment I am tired and frustrated.

I just really hope I can have my car back for palm sunday and Holy week.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:12:34 PM by Quinault » Logged
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:57:02 PM »

Dear Lord, please help Your handmaiden. Please provide the good solution. Lord, have mercy. Holy Theotokos, please help.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »

Lord hear our prayers.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »

No progress today. The original person I was put in contact with in Everett can't help me because there is a Seattle person that can. And the Seattle person is only in Seattle Wednesdays. So tomorrow I will be taking all the kids on the bus again. Been having alot of contractions today-likely due to stress. So any prayers that I don't go into full blown preterm labor would be appreciated. This baby needs to wait at least another 13 weeks to be born.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:08:27 PM by Quinault » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 10:24:43 PM »

It's a shame, I'm not sure how much of that list is exactly "pressing."  I'll hold my answers and just pray that everything works out. 

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »

The most pressing item (and most expensive at $850) is not covered under warranty-the cat converter. That is what caused my car to stop accelerating on the freeway. Mine is clogged so badly that my engine stalls when I try to accelerate. I know that plenty of people just keep driving with this issue and deal with the stalls. I don't want to deal with stalling. And to remove it altogether would be illegal and a bad idea.

All the steering components-(various arms and rod ends mentioned above), and the leaking manifold gasket are covered by my warranty. Those are more a nuisance than anything (except the leak-that is something that could effect my engine). And now that I am aware of them they have to be fixed or I nullify my warranty. So I have to pay the $125 deductible for that and warranty picks up the other $1500. And now that I am aware that the cat converter needs to be fixed I am obligated to fix it or again- I nullify my warranty. And because of the warranty I can't do it myself or shop around for a lower price, I have to use one of their shops to do all the repairs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:16:55 PM by Quinault » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 11:20:51 PM »

The most pressing item (and most expensive at $850) is not covered under warranty-the cat converter.
I'm so glad you've converted your car for use by cats! Cheesy

You're in my prayers.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »

The most pressing item (and most expensive at $850) is not covered under warranty-the cat converter.

You're in my prayers.

I don't want to be the one driving all the time! laugh
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:28:25 PM by Quinault » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »

You're in my prayers.

I don't want to be the one driving all the time! laugh

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:19 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 12:39:38 AM »

After some more research and questions I found out that in theory I could replace the converter myself. Except that;

1) I am 6 months pregnant and my husband has forbidden me to
2) I don't have the money for the $500 part
3) AER will not cover a part, just a shop estimate.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »

Lord have mercy on thy handmaiden and provide for her needs.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »

Dear Lord, please help Your handmaiden and her family. Lord, have mercy!
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »

The most pressing item (and most expensive at $850) is not covered under warranty-the cat converter. That is what caused my car to stop accelerating on the freeway. Mine is clogged so badly that my engine stalls when I try to accelerate. I know that plenty of people just keep driving with this issue and deal with the stalls. I don't want to deal with stalling. And to remove it altogether would be illegal and a bad idea.

All the steering components-(various arms and rod ends mentioned above), and the leaking manifold gasket are covered by my warranty. Those are more a nuisance than anything (except the leak-that is something that could effect my engine). And now that I am aware of them they have to be fixed or I nullify my warranty. So I have to pay the $125 deductible for that and warranty picks up the other $1500. And now that I am aware that the cat converter needs to be fixed I am obligated to fix it or again- I nullify my warranty. And because of the warranty I can't do it myself or shop around for a lower price, I have to use one of their shops to do all the repairs.
If you can find someone to do the work (on account of you being pregnant) you can just take out the catalytic convertor and put in a straight piece of pipe until you have the money for the proper repair, this will only cost about $25.  Just don't tell any environmentalists  Smiley
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »

I took a bus downtown and applied for assistance thru the American Legion. Hopefully they will grant my request and I will have my car back next week. I had to get a rental; busing around with all three kids in my current state is causing me to have a great deal of pain-contractions ect. At this point it is a nuisance not dangerous. Baby is high and transverse currently so the contractions aren't doing anything other than causing me pain and annoyance.

My in-laws are paying for the rental. And the rental company is renting me a van at the "full size" car price. This was a huge blessing. I think the guy felt sorry for me watching it take 20 min. to install two of my car seats with LATCH. And my warranty is supposed to cover 4 days of the 7 day rental. Now I just wait and see. And hope and pray. I need my car back. I am not a minivan driving kind of person. I miss my horsepower. My driveway is just too steep for a little minivan.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:41:42 PM by Quinault » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 07:44:12 AM »

I feel your pain, come June, I'll have three in car seats and two not.  Yes, that equals 5, I don't know what we were thinking. Smiley
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »

I have my car back now. I ended up applying for AER but they gave me a loan rather than a grant. It is an interest free loan and the payments are small enough that it should be OK. I am so happy to have my car back! Thank you for the prayers!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: