OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:45:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandmother's Locket.  (Read 928 times) Average Rating: 5
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: April 04, 2009, 10:12:56 PM »

Before our Mother died, she handed down to my younger Sister-In-Law a locket Cross which belonged to our Grandmother. As some of you know, our Grandmother was Pontian and fled to Smyrna (modern Ismir) when the Christians were being persecuted. They lived in Smyrna for a few years, and then when the Turks burned Smyrna in September 1922, they fled with others by boat to the Island of Limnos.
The locket Cross belonging to my Grandmother, we were told, contained a small piece of wax from the Candles which held the Holy Fire in the Church of St. Polycarp in Smyrna in the Pascha of 1910.
Today, my Sister-In-Law decided to open the locket for the first time. Inside, she found a small piece of beeswax and a rolled up piece of yellowed paper with Greek handwriting. My Sister-In-Law is not Greek, but is a convert, and my brother is overseas, so she couldn't read it. She scanned the manuscript and sent it to me. The text turned out to be the "Letter to the Angel of the Church in Smyrna" from the Book of Revelations (Revelations 2:8-10):

"And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: ‘These things says the First and the Last, Who was dead, and came to life: “I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life."

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »

Awesome.  What a beautiful thing and a blessing!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »

Awesome and amazing George, thank you for sharing this!

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »

Amazing; what a blessing!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:56:57 PM »

Amazing and interesting story! Thanks for blessing us by sharing it!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »

Before our Mother died, she handed down to my younger Sister-In-Law a locket Cross which belonged to our Grandmother. As some of you know, our Grandmother was Pontian and fled to Smyrna (modern Ismir) when the Christians were being persecuted. They lived in Smyrna for a few years, and then when the Turks burned Smyrna in September 1922, they fled with others by boat to the Island of Limnos.
The locket Cross belonging to my Grandmother, we were told, contained a small piece of wax from the Candles which held the Holy Fire in the Church of St. Polycarp in Smyrna in the Pascha of 1910.
Today, my Sister-In-Law decided to open the locket for the first time. Inside, she found a small piece of beeswax and a rolled up piece of yellowed paper with Greek handwriting. My Sister-In-Law is not Greek, but is a convert, and my brother is overseas, so she couldn't read it. She scanned the manuscript and sent it to me. The text turned out to be the "Letter to the Angel of the Church in Smyrna" from the Book of Revelations (Revelations 2:8-10):

"And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: ‘These things says the First and the Last, Who was dead, and came to life: “I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life."

Beautiful.

I am sure that your grandmother is pleased her Faith was not wasted, not only in her offspring, but her adopted city as well:
A couple of weeks ago, in one of our Chat sessions here we were pleased to have an OC.net member and a Turkish convert to Orthodoxy, living in Izmir (Smyrna), who worships in one of those alleged "empty, titular" churches there - reporting 100 or so faithful at Divine Liturgy the previous Sunday. Braver and better Christians than I, and maybe others, by far.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 12:30:21 AM »

Glory be to God!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 02:07:48 AM »

I am sure that your grandmother is pleased her Faith was not wasted, not only in her offspring, but her adopted city as well:
A couple of weeks ago, in one of our Chat sessions here we were pleased to have an OC.net member and a Turkish convert to Orthodoxy, living in Izmir (Smyrna), who worships in one of those alleged "empty, titular" churches there - reporting 100 or so faithful at Divine Liturgy the previous Sunday. Braver and better Christians than I, and maybe others, by far.

Glory to God!
I will tell my Sister-In-Law this!
She is compiling the family history.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:08:37 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags: Apocalypse of John 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: