OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:07:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Protestant "born again" experience  (Read 2321 times) Average Rating: 0
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« on: October 22, 2003, 09:07:17 AM »

Having read the testimonials of many former Protestants (particularly on the internet) who have converted to Orthodoxy, I am struck that many maintained they had a life-changing "born again" experience while they were still Protestants.  If it is true that the fullness of the faith is only in the Orthodox church, and it is also true that one is actually "born again" in baptism, how then does the Church interpret these "pre-Orthodox" experiences?  What actually took place during these special events in the lives of these former Protestants?

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 09:27:49 AM »

They would've been a part of the Church in a way known to God. In my case, I believe God's grace was active in my life as a Roman Catholic, eventually inspiring my curiosity for the Eastern-rite Roman Churches, which led me to Orthodoxy.

The tragic divided state of Christianity and the amount of time one needs to devote to discerning what exactly the true faith is amidst so many conflicting doctrines and complicated issues, would lead me to believe that God would be far more merciful than anyone could ever imagine.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 09:37:34 AM »

God created the visible Church and its sacraments - He isn't limited by them.

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 11:04:53 AM »

Byzantino and Serge,

Thanks for your responses.  I have read that sentiment among the Orthodox:  "The Church can tell you where the Holy Spirit is, but cannot tell you where the Holy Spirit is not."  OTOH, I've noticed that some have a more hard line postion believing one cannot be saved out of the visible confines of the Church.

Please pray for me and my wife.  I'm still drawn to Orthodoxy, but am "ahead" of my wife in this pursuit.  She had begun reading THIRSTING FOR GOD by Matthew Gallatin, and had been enjoying it, but hasn't read much recently because of the time demands (and fatigue!) that goes along with being a new mommy  Smiley.

Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 08:14:30 PM »

I'm praying for you Thomas!
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 08:13:49 AM »

I'm praying for you Thomas!

Thank you.  Smiley

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »

I'm praying for you as well Thomas.  Of course right now both of you are pretty busy with being new parents as well as your other duties, but I would urge you not to tarry too long from your investigation of Orthodoxy, as Satan is pleased to sow discontent in our spiritual journey whenever possible.  

If I were in your position, I would tell my wife that I feel a genuine calling to explore the claims made by Orthodoxy and ask her if she would be willing to follow me in trying to discover if the Orthodox Church is true Church.  To that end, I would say that we pick out a parish within driving distance, and participate in every service(as is possible) for a month.  After the month is over, both of you should have a good "taste" of real Orthodoxy, how it is lived out not just chapters in a dusty book, and can make a decision to figure out if this is where God is leading you.  

Of course, as I said you have many commitments and may not be able to do something like this.  It may not even be a good idea, but it seems to me to be a good beginning.  Regardless of what happens, you and your family are in our prayers.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 07:52:41 PM »

I do not deny that there is something good among Protestants and that many of them are good Christians who get spiritualy nourished by their faith in Christ, but in Evangelical or Pentecostal sects, that seduce people, who end up saying they have met Christ and received grace from the Holy spirit. That is nothing but a physical satisfaction, inspired by a state of self-hypnosis. God only knows wat kind of spirit is that what called the Holy Spirit in those sects.
moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 11:59:57 PM »

Think of it as being on a journey.  Sometimes you make a bad turn and are on the wrong road.  The "born again" experience can be a turning back onto the right road.  Whatever God uses to bring someone back to Him, thank Him for it.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: