OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 03:53:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sign of Peace  (Read 2018 times) Average Rating: 0
truthstalker

Faith: Evangelical Presbyterian

« on: April 01, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »

I have read that you kiss each other on the cheek, sometimes both cheeks, as part of the Divine Liturgy.

What if I go to an Orthodox service but I have an infectious disease? Or if I just don't want to get kissed?

By the way, when I told my wife about this, she seemed to like the idea.....
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:12:12 PM »

I have read that you kiss each other on the cheek, sometimes both cheeks, as part of the Divine Liturgy.

What if I go to an Orthodox service but I have an infectious disease? Or if I just don't want to get kissed?

In practice, really only concelebrating priests do this at a Divine Liturgy.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »

If you're ill, or feel uncomfortable, then let the person know if they make the attempt.  I don't think they'll be offended.
In many places the Kiss of Peace is not done amongst the laity (as Schultz has pointed out); in the places where it is done, I'm sure your discomfort or temporary inability will not handicap you either in your quest to worship or in your ability to be accepted.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:30:36 PM »

truthstalker, shaking hands, in lieu of the kiss of peace, works fine for me. 

I just have to remember the appropriate response to "Christ is in our midst" as "He is and ever shall be."  I'm usually tongue tied when I attend Churches (Orthodox and non-Orthodox) who perform the Kiss of Peace.  My Church has never done the Kiss of Peace.  I even get more tongue tied when using Greek.   Shocked  Roll Eyes  Shocked
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »

What if I go to an Orthodox service but I have an infectious disease?
Some people think snake handling is an act of faith- we Orthodox all receive Communion from the same Chalice and Spoon, in some cases, from the time we are infants. In my 42 years of Communing, I have never contracted a disease from this. Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »

Not to mention....it's Scriptural.  Wink

* Romans 16.16a — "Greet one another with a holy kiss" (Greek: ἀσπάσασθε ἀλλήλους ἐν φιλήματι ἁγίῳ).
    * I Corinthians 16.20b — "Greet one another with a holy kiss" (Greek: ἀσπάσασθε ἀλλήλους ἐν φιλήματι ἁγίῳ).
    * II Corinthians 13.12a — "Greet one another with a holy kiss" (Greek: ἀσπάσασθε ἀλλήλους ἐν ἁγίῳ φιλήματι).
    * I Thessalonians 5.26 — "Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss" (Greek: ἀσπάσασθε τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς πάντας ἐν φιλήματι ἁγίῳ).
    * I Peter 5.14a — "Greet one another with a kiss of love" (Greek: ἀσπάσασθε ἀλλήλους ἐν φιλήματι ἀγάπης).

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:40:20 PM »

Oh and we all kiss the cross at the end of services and icons at various times and no one wipes them and no one gets sick either.   I think its odd when I see people at the roman catholic communion during the times they kiss a cross at the end of the service and the altarPERSON wipes it with a cloth after each person.  I don't know how society got so scared to have any form of contact with their fellow man, even if it means a gentle hug.

cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 11:28:45 PM »

I don't know how society got so scared to have any form of contact with their fellow man, even if it means a gentle hug.

I have no idea, and it's not getting any better.  If you watch enough commercials for disinfectants you'd think that every child in America is in danger of IMMINENT DEATH from touching a doorknob or telephone.

But back to the topic - one thing I did always enjoy from the RC masses I used to attend was the Kiss of Peace.  I'd like to see something like that done by the laity in Orthodox parishes.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:08:30 AM »

I don't know how society got so scared to have any form of contact with their fellow man, even if it means a gentle hug.

I have no idea, and it's not getting any better.  If you watch enough commercials for disinfectants you'd think that every child in America is in danger of IMMINENT DEATH from touching a doorknob or telephone.

But back to the topic - one thing I did always enjoy from the RC masses I used to attend was the Kiss of Peace.  I'd like to see something like that done by the laity in Orthodox parishes.

No thanks, plenty of Orthodox parishes have spent the last 80 years in this country shaking off latinizations from their previous days as Greek Catholics.  While some parishes do it in Orthodoxy I'm not about ready to start introducing things at random just because they seem cool or neat and use the theory that "it was done in the early church so we have to bring it back... even if we don't know the exact usage or original context..."  Saw enough of that growing up I don't want to have to relive it.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:24 AM »

Oh and we all kiss the cross at the end of services and icons at various times and no one wipes them and no one gets sick either.   I think its odd when I see people at the roman catholic communion during the times they kiss a cross at the end of the service and the altarPERSON wipes it with a cloth after each person.  I don't know how society got so scared to have any form of contact with their fellow man, even if it means a gentle hug.

When I was an altar boy growing up, I never quite got the whole wipe away the germs thing with a dry untreated cloth.  While I'm sure there's some benefit in removing germs the first few times, once you've wiped the Crucifix the fiftieth time with a dry untreated cloth I'm pretty sure you're just putting germs back on it.

My mother-in-law, the RN that she is, is still freaked out by the way we receive communion in the Christian East.  When I point out that, as an extraordinary minister of communion in her church, she managed to still touch everyone who comes to her for communion and, therefore, spread everyone's germs around, she is nonplussed.  It's apparently "different" than what we do. 

I gave up trying to argue that we're talking about the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ Himself that's supposedly spreading germs.  She believes, but doesn't believe, if you follow me.

I'm an almost obsessive handwasher (esp. when I'm even near a public restroom) but even I don't worry about getting sick @ church because of kissing the cross.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
truthstalker

Faith: Evangelical Presbyterian

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »

I've heard it from the Anglicans that no one has ever gotten sick from the common chalice there either.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a medical study on the subject.......`
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »

French kissing was common, but it's being discouraged now.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »

I've heard it from the Anglicans that no one has ever gotten sick from the common chalice there either.

Even without considerations of Divine Grace, wine is alcohol and alcohol is a natural (and effective) disinfectant. I'm not sure there's a point to a medical study of something rather obvious.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 10:18:41 PM »

Even without considerations of Divine Grace, wine is alcohol and alcohol is a natural (and effective) disinfectant. I'm not sure there's a point to a medical study of something rather obvious.

Biology was always my weakest science, but I remember reading somewhere that white wine can kill salmonella and other types of bacteria and microbes.  I would be interested in a medical study though, since there are so many factors involved.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 04:26:35 AM »

In the Chalice there is hardly any alcohol because it's mixed wiyth water and wine doesn't contain more than 12% of it. So it's as strong as beer. There should be more of alcohol to kill y=the microbs.

IMO It's a miracle that noone never get ill because of taking Holy Communion and it cannot be explained by science.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kav

Jurisdiction: romanian in USA

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »

Silver has antibacterial qualities.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »

Chalice and spoon at my Church are gilded not silver. Tongue

Try one more time Smiley

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »

Um ... I hesitate to be boringly practical, but I have often noticed that some people do not like to kiss for the sign of peace. I'm really badly co-ordinated and so I don't like bumping my face up against people - I find that if you're quick to hold your hand out and smile, most people instinctively clasp your hand. If you're worried about it not looking affectionate, make sure you smile and people will realize that your intention is the same as the kiss. At my (Anglican) Church some people kiss and some clasp hands, but you could always start the hand-clasping as a trend...
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 12:21:07 PM »

I'm really badly co-ordinated and so I don't like bumping my face up against people

Same here, which makes Forgiveness Sunday very interesting.   Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: