OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 03:18:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kids "hate" going to church  (Read 12693 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2009, 12:56:38 PM »

It does not change my faith.

Some attempts that I made in order to establish friendship with "godly" people, however, were inevitably failure. These people are just so dramatically different from Lesya and myself that we cannot socialize with them at all.

This is sad, but I know what you mean.  I have been a practicing Christian all my adult life (with the exception of a few years in college as a self-labeled agnostic) and it has only been recent that I've actually been able to befriend people at church that share interests of mine outside of church.

Well, actually, in the Presbyterian congregation where I was baptised, there were several men with whom I shared interests - they were university teachers like me, and it was good for me to communicate with them everywhere, in church or outside of it. But they were all agnostics. They came to that church because of the belief that it's good for their kids.

Whoever was overtly "religious" - e.g., mentioned his/her personal relationship with sweet Jesis in conversations with me, or asked me, how exactly do I fight those godless Atheists as a biology teacher, etc. - always caused in me an immediate "shut down" reaction. Same for proponents of conservative values, etc.

But just because your experience has been largely negative does not mean that everyone's experience is so.  I'm a bit surprised that you would think that you would think that your story is indicative of everyone else's, Heorhji.  And lest you think I'm picking on you, the same goes the other way.  There's nothing more annoying than an extrovert who tries to bring an introvert "out of his shell". 

Still, I think friendship with "godly" people (as if any of us are truly "godly") is different than the central issue here, in my eyes: the work of the parish community in acts of mercy and charity.  The church as community has been doing these organized activities since Pentecost.  I'm having a very hard time understanding why you think that such work is wrong.  I can totally understand your personal reticence in getting involved in such things; it's just not something you are personally comfortable with.  But to say that such activities and organizations objectively have nothing to do with Christianity or the Church is unfathomable to me.

I don't know, brother. I just lack eloquence in defending my point, but that's how I feel. Again, not charity per se, but organized groop activities of the charitable nature, to me, remain absolutely superfluous and irrelevant thing.

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: