OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Compatibility w/ IE 8  (Read 2653 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: March 29, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »

I almost always use Mozilla Firefox except when I'm absolutely forced to use Internet Explorer.  However, seeing that Microsoft just released their Internet Explorer 8, I decided to download, install, and try it.  The first thing I did was try this forum out with the new browser.  Before I saw anything else, I noticed the funny behavior that happens after I enter 15 lines of text.  The post editor just will not scroll, and every time I type in a character, the editor automatically refreshes so that the "overflow" text is not seen.  The new text is not erased; my view of it just gets cut off when the post editor auto-refreshes. 

I may not be describing the problem all that clearly, so let me instruct you on how to replicate this bug.  First, download and install IE 8 on your computer, reboot your computer as instructed, then open this forum with IE 8.  After you've done this, either quote a long post, or type in at least 15 full lines of whatever text you like.  Either way, this will be more than enough to activate the vertical scrollbar and make the scroll thumb (that doohicky that you can click and drag to scroll the control up or down) available.  Now continue to type text into a 16th line and note what happens.  I tried this in both Windows XP and Vista and got the same result.  I have not seen this in IE 7.

I don't know if this is something we want to fix, since it appears that OC.net is designed first to be compatible with Firefox and other non-Microsoft browsers and not so much with Internet Explorer, but I thought it would be good for me to at least bring up what I've seen.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:37:37 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »

IE8 has a compatibility mode for the behavior you are addressing.  You may have to download the program from Microsoft Update.  Even though IE8 is not my main browser, I downloaded the compatibility mode update and there was a difference between compatibility mode and no compatibility mode.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:55:05 AM »

I'm using IE6...I have problems with adapting and playing with others

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:41:24 AM »

IE8 has a compatibility mode for the behavior you are addressing.  You may have to download the program from Microsoft Update.  Even though IE8 is not my main browser, I downloaded the compatibility mode update and there was a difference between compatibility mode and no compatibility mode.
Thanks for the tip.  That fixed the problem.  Now back to my regular Firefox usage. Wink
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

Just in case our gracious moderators were wondering, no problems at all in Chrome (at least so far -- I have encountered a few Javascript problems since moving to Chrome, but not here).

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 12:29:27 AM »

EDIT--Ok, was having problems, but they seem to be fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:29:50 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »

I find when I use IE8 (even in compatability mode), the site tends to log me out at random times. Even though when I log in, I choose the option to stay logged in forever.

I don't experience this problem in Google Chrome.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »

With internet explorer 8 ,when i inclued 2 to several quote's everything starts jumping up and down,when trying to respond,,what gives why it this happening...i don't want to use another browser but internet explorer .....If i put the browser in comparability mode it locks me out, in time out,so no responses get thur...
Hummm What to do ,What to do.... Anyone

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »

Forum Compatibility with IE8

Turn on Compatibility Mode.

You will be logged out once you've turned on compatibility mode.  That is normal IE8 beahvior.    Smiley
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:51:10 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:56:16 PM »

Forum Compatibility with IE8

Turn on Compatibility Mode.

You will be logged out once you've turned on compatibility mode.  That is normal IE8 beahvior.    Smiley

Thank's ill try it.....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »

Before you turn on compatibility mode in the middle of a post, save the Post as a draft and you can edit the draft after you log back in.   Smiley
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »

No session says time out in compatibility mode..

Im using my 64 bit internet explorer to send this ..on the 32 bit browser thats where i have trouble...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:15:52 PM by stashko » Logged

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:04 PM »

No session says time out in compatibility mode..

Im using my 64 bit internet explorer to send this ..on the 32 bit browser thats where i have trouble...
If it is working fine on a 64 bit version, it will work on the 32 bit version as well.  The architecture won't make a difference.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »

no it doesn't work with quotes in 64 bit browser ,all it says is session verification failed try logging in again..
It works only in replies minus-quotes,for some reason..same as in the 32 bit browser... Huh

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »

Yeah, this happens to me too, and so I tend to switch to Firefox when I'm on here. But sometimes I forget.

Christ is Risen!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 10:59:03 PM »

This doesn't always happen to me, but when it does I just type whatever I want to type in wordpad and then copy it to oc.net...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: