OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:17:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop Hovnan and Bishop Maxim lecture at theological symposium  (Read 983 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: March 26, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

This sounds like it was an interesting event.  I wish I had known about it ahead of time.

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/primate-offers-lecture-at-lmu-christological-symposium/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with joy that we inform the faithful that a symposium was organized by the Huffington Ecumenical Institute which was titled “Who do people say I am? True God and True Man: Chalcedon’s Christology in a Modern World.” The focus of the symposium was “Two orthodox Christian hierarchs offer the orthodox response.” The reception began at the Loyola Marymount University, Roski Center at 6pm, and the lecture was at 7pm. His Eminence Abp. Hovnan Derderian and His Grace Bishop Maxim of the Diocese of Western America of the Serbian Orthodox Church were the lecturers.

The Rev. Fr. Dajad Dz. V. Yardemian, Vicar General, Archpriest Arshag Khatchadourian, Archpriest Sipan Mekhsian, Fr. Avedis Abovian, Fr. Nerses Hayrapetyan, Dn. Matthew Ash, Dn. Hovnan Vartanian, Dn. Guj Khatchikian, Dn. Razmik Sarkissian, Mashdots Jobanian, and Hayk Madoyan were in attendance.

Welcoming remarks were made be HEI Director, Demetrios Liappas, in which we expressed his joy to see the symposium realized, and introduced some of the honorable guests including the Consul General of Cypress and his wife. The invocation was made by Fr. John Bakas, Dean of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral and faculty member of LMU. He informed the audience that Metropolitan Gerasimos could not attend due to prior commitments, but he sent his greetings and best wishes for this symposium. 

The Moderator for the symposium was Fr. Alexei Smith, Director of Ecumenical & Interreligious Affairs of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, who read the biographies of Abp. Hovnan Derderian and Bishop Maxim.

The Primate’s topic was “‘One Faith of the World’ (the Counicl of Chalcedon and the Venues for the Reunion of the Church)”.  The Primate eloquently and solemnly presented his topic which was appreciated by the audience.

Fr. Alexei Smith then introduced His Grace Bishop Maxim, whose subject was “Chalcedonian Christology: Theological, Historical and Cultural Significance.” Bishop Maxim also has received an advanced theological education and has authored many articles regarding theological issues. He also presented his topic very well and was appreciated by the audience.

Mr. Liappas expressed his gratitude to both high ranking clergymen on behalf of the Huffington Ecumenical Institute which had given all who participated the opportunity to discuss, in an atmosphere brotherly love and respect, the significant and weighty topic of the symposium. He expressed his thanks to Dn. Matthew Ash and to the liaison to the Serbian Orthodox Church who cooperated with the Institute and helped make the necessary arrangements for the event.

Fr. Smith also expressed his thanks to our Primate and Bishop Maxim for their scholarly and well prepared lectures, and then he closed the symposium with a prayer.

"They mean it as a mark of shame, we must then wear it as a mark of hope..."
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/07/nun-sign-of-genocide.html
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:56:11 AM »

Photos and audio from the event:

http://www.westsrbdio.org/Bishop/index.htmlftp://
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:57:12 AM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: