OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:05:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1056 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: October 21, 2003, 09:34:03 PM »

I know that Typikon refers to the liturgical rubrics and such....

but what does Saint Savva's Typikon and the one's by other names refer to...which are in use and why?  What are some of the differences?  Any good links out there on their history?

+ò-à -ç+¦-ü+¦-â-ä-ë,
Nektarios
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 09:58:21 PM »

Nektarios,

I will provide you shortly with some book selections.

1) Basically in Christian times there developed two rites: a monastic and a cathedral.

2) When the Latins conquered Constantinople the cathedral rite died out but the monastic rite was mutated by adding some elements of the cathedral rite.

3) Originally each area had its own typicon.  Eventually uniformity won out in most areas.

4) The Sabbas typikon reflects I think the fusion of St Sabbas's Monastery Typikon with the Cathedral Rite of Constantinople.

There are no other typika really in use except at New Skete monastery in NY and in other places.

You can see other typika by reading liturgy books.  Like I said I will give you some citations later.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 12:22:16 AM »

There are no other typika really in use except at New Skete monastery in NY and in other places.

Not really.  The Greek Church uses the so-called "Violakes" Typikon, not the Sabbaite Typikon which the Russian Church uses.  It is said that in the Greek Monasteries they keep a type of the Sabbaite Typikon.  

This difference accounts for the different ranking of feasts in some cases, among other things.  

"Rubrics" need to be defined in the original post as most (if not almost all) of the actions of the liturgical services are spelled out in the books that contain those services.  Other points, that may be confused with rubrics are contained in the Typikon but they are not rubrics.  For certain rubrical aspects indeed many are found in the Typikon (at least the Russian) but not most.  Rubrics are instructions to the celebrants and choir what to do and how.   The Typikon it must be remembered is not a service book per se.  The Liturgikon will say "the singers now sing the troparia" the Typikon says which troparia.  Rubrics in the Typikon tend to be only for special feasts that have peculiar rubrics, not ordinary events.  Although again, this depends on the understanding of rubrics.

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: