OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:30:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If...  (Read 1332 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: March 24, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »

If the Orthodox Church, like the Amish, chasidic jews etc., would demand a strict dress code of all its members to be worn at all times, would you remain Orthodox?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:50:03 PM »

Love never demands.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:50:16 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »

If the Orthodox Church, like the Amish, chasidic jews etc., would demand a strict dress code of all its members to be worn at all times, would you remain Orthodox?
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life."  - John 6:68
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »

Yes, but if the Church made  a decision  to make such a requirement, out of "love" for its members...and if the Church is what we say it is, would it not be our joy to be obedient?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:20:32 PM »

But doesn't the Holy Tradition already ask us to attire ourselves modestly?  Some will and some will not.  IME, it is a matter between them, Christ, and their spiritual father.  Undecided

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:53:42 PM »

I'm happy that there isn't an Orthodox Abercrombie and that the Church (in theory) focuses on the heart. 
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 06:57:14 AM »

Probably would, glad that it doesn't.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 07:33:39 AM »

I believe I would not be happy, because that would mean to me that this church is no longer Orthodox. Like others said, the Church of our Lord focuses on the heart, on what's inside (Matt. 15:1-20).

Love never fails.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:19:44 AM »

I agree with Cleveland, I would do it but it would not be the right thing.  It would mean that the homeless, the poor, the destitute and marginalized would not be able to come into church because of the dress code, and that would no longer make us a church of christ, but a social club with a priest. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
si2008

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 10:34:57 AM »

I would stay, but one of the reasons I became Orthodox is because I think we preach that Christ can meet any of us in any state we're in.  Can you imagine Christ demanding that the Samaritan woman put on a more modest outfit?  No.  He gently leads her back to God's love, and that's the starting point for any changes in her life based on her free will to love Him back.  Modesty starts on the inside.

That being said, I do wish that in America women weren't discouraged from wearing more modest clothing.  I don't mean bouffants and pinafores like in that cult, just, you know, not belly revealing jeans and exposed bra straps and stuff.  Even a pregnant lady has trouble looking modest these days.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »

I would stay, but one of the reasons I became Orthodox is because I think we preach that Christ can meet any of us in any state we're in.  Can you imagine Christ demanding that the Samaritan woman put on a more modest outfit?  No.  He gently leads her back to God's love, and that's the starting point for any changes in her life based on her free will to love Him back.  Modesty starts on the inside.

That being said, I do wish that in America women weren't discouraged from wearing more modest clothing.  I don't mean bouffants and pinafores like in that cult, just, you know, not belly revealing jeans and exposed bra straps and stuff.  Even a pregnant lady has trouble looking modest these days.

I would much rather see ladies wearing belly button-showing jeans and exposed bra straps than those horrible, tasteless, ugly "parade"/pompous "high class" dresses and hats I see occasionally on "church women" in the USA.

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »

I agree with Cleveland, I would do it but it would not be the right thing.  It would mean that the homeless, the poor, the destitute and marginalized would not be able to come into church because of the dress code, and that would no longer make us a church of christ, but a social club with a priest. 

Thank you for all of your answers so far. They've been really helpful to me, personally. Here serb1389 says a dress code would make us a "social club with a priest". This is something I've heard from many Orthodox people. However, those groups that do have a certain form of distinctive dress for their members would say they do so as an act of brotherhood and obedience. Sometimes I wonder to what extent the idea of "christian brotherhood" affects Orthodox practice? Just wondering, that's all.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:55:43 AM by Rosehip » Logged

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »

I would much rather see ladies wearing belly button-showing jeans and exposed bra straps than those horrible, tasteless, ugly "parade"/pompous "high class" dresses and hats I see occasionally on "church women" in the USA.

What would you consider to be suitable "modest" attire for women to wear to church-aside from these two extremes?

si2008

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »

Me too!  I was just commenting on my own circumstances here in the suburbs of Chicago.  I'm not advocating any kind of extreme, just an overall return to normal.  I had a Muslim friend in high school who I thought was very elegant and tasteful, and she just wore nice loose blouses and flowy pants.  Nothing fancy, but she wasn't wearing a burqa either.  I just don't like the excess of women's current fashions.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »

What would you consider to be suitable "modest" attire for women to wear to church-aside from these two extremes?

Normal elegant, beautiful, tasteful feminine dress, the kind my wife always wears to church!  Smiley

Love never fails.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »

If a person was prepared to separate themselves from Christ for the sake of fashion, perhaps they weren't all that serious about Him in the first place.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »

I'm sure that if we did have some sort of distinctive dress, that folks like you in parishes all over would donate articles to be given to the poor, destitute, homeless, and marginalized... Maybe even the octomom's, too!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »

If a person was prepared to separate themselves from Christ for the sake of fashion, perhaps they weren't all that serious about Him in the first place.

In theory I agree with you. But the reality is that it has been 2000 years and the Church has not seen fit to create a dress code. Meaning that if "the Church" (presumably meaning a general council or a local practice that caught on like wildfire with bishops everywhere) suddenly decided to impose such a practice it would be in contradistinction to the actual Tradition of the Chuch and open to a great deal of questioning about imposing the 'traditions of men' over the Tradition of God.

Or to put it another way, "If the Church would demand castration of all male members, would you remain Orthodox." In theory, yes, since as someone already put it so well "where else would we go"--but in reality, the actual Church would never make such a ruling. And any body that did make such a ruling would clearly be a pseudo-Church.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: