OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:04:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bishop at a DL  (Read 2072 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: March 24, 2009, 01:28:02 AM »

Our Bishop will be at our 5am Paschal service this year. Can anyone tell me what to expect?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:30:07 AM by Quinault » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 01:43:32 AM »

Our Bishop will be at our 5am Paschal service this year. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

To be in church a lot longer.  Cheesy

If you're participating from the pews (pews...is outrage!), not too much is different.  The Bishop comes out a few times to bless with his special candles, commemorations are slightly different and that is about it.  If you're serving in the altar the only thing different is that whatever you do, it is wrong. 
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 01:45:36 AM »

Normally this service includes a processional around the church and a lot of readings. It is a very long service as it is! There are about 2 pews in the very back of the parish (which i will need since I will be about 7 months pregnant with a sleeping 2 year old and 3 year old alone at the services)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:55:59 AM by Quinault » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:27:27 AM »

After the procession the choir will wish 'Many years' to everyone you could imagine. You may also expect a bunch of speeches: Bishop's to the parish Priest, Bishop's to the parishioners, parish Priest's to bishops... There may be some awards granted.

This is how it goes in Poland. I have no idea is it the same in SRAOANA.

Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »

If you're serving in the altar the only thing different is that whatever you do, it is wrong. 
I still have nightmares from our bishop's visitation to our church, and now my priest have tricked me to come along with him to another church where the bishop is visiting. Not only that but the location of the church is a place known for hostility towards Swedish speaking people (like me) so It's not just the bishop I'm nervous about.

To answer Quinault's question: In my experience the whole liturgy is very different when the bishop is present. The songs and the prayers might be the same but there is a lot more... theater or show (not sure how to express myself in English).
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »

If you ask for his blessing, instead of saying "Father, bless," it will be, "Master, bless."  Smiley  I try not to be the first one in line so I can sort of listen in on what the appropriate responses will be. 

(As an obligatory horror story, the first time I was at a liturgy when Bishop Job came, I was wearing a new skirt and had gone throughout the whole church and walked in front of several people before I realized that my skirt had come apart at the seam right on my rear end.  Embarrassed  Now I make sure I inspect my clothes before I go to chuch, especially if the Bishop is in town!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »

Snowflakes.  No two are exactly the same. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

Snowflakes.  No two are exactly the same. 

You've never been known for your brevity - but you've drawn a wonderful picture!

As a note to others - from a theoretical standpoint, the Divine Liturgy is only 100% complete in form when the Bishop is present (so, technically what we do most Sundays without him is a bit abbreviated).

So what's "added" (more like "not truncated this time") to the Divine Liturgy typically when a hierarch serves?

- Any commemorations of the Bishop (by name) will include a chanting of "Many years, Master."
- The Small Entrance will include a blessing by the Bishop, followed by his censing of the Church during the hymns following.
- The Trisagion Hymn will be sung 5 times instead of 3: 2 by choirs, 1 by clergy, 1 by choir, 1 by clergy.
- After "Glory... Both now... Holy Immortal...", the Trisagion hymn will be repeated split into 4 parts, with the Bishop blessing at each of the 3 breaking points (3 breaks = 4 parts) with the verse "Lord, Lord, look down from heaven and behold and visit this vineyard..." which will be followed by the "Dynamis"
- After the "Dynamis" will come the chanting of the hymn "Lord, save the faithful" (2 or 3 times) and "And hearken unto us" (1 time)
- After this, the commemoration of the hierarchs: first, the president of the Synod that your hierarch sits on (or, if he is the head of an Autocephalous Church, he will commemorate the heads of the Autocephalous Churches); then the hierarch that is serving.
- At the Great Entrance, the Hierarch will remain at the Beautiful Doors while the clergy bring to him the paten and chalice; at the reception of each, he will commemorate names of the living and dead, including the president of his synod (or the heads of the autocephalous churches, depending on what he did earlier) and the clergy serving.

- For observation: at the reading of the Creed, instead of waving the Aer over the chalice in front of his face (as a Priest would do), the clergy will hold the Aer over the Bishop's head, which will be held in between the Aer and the chalice & paten.

- After the consecration and Megalynarion, at the commemoration of the hierarch, he will commemorate whomever he did at the Entrance, and then the rest of the clergy will commemorate him.

- At the end of the Liturgy, he will come out to say the dismissal prayer, flanked by the clergy present.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »

Cleveland, your post is so interesting and helpful! The last time I was at a hierarchical service was when Bishop Hilarion of Austria and Vienna was with us. I was able to stand almost right beside him as he was being vested, and, suddenly everything made sense to me, and it was very moving and beautiful to observe. These are precious moments, when it seems so right and profound to be Orthodox.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »

Cleveland, your post is so interesting and helpful! The last time I was at a hierarchical service was when Bishop Hilarion of Austria and Vienna was with us. I was able to stand almost right beside him as he was being vested, and, suddenly everything made sense to me, and it was very moving and beautiful to observe. These are precious moments, when it seems so right and profound to be Orthodox.

Thank you, Rosehip, for reminding me of the words of Saint Ignatius "Wherever the Bishop appears, there let the multitude of the people be; just as where Christ Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church".

Maybe I can now be more appreciative of experiencing the fullness of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church (while the bishop's secretary gives me angry looks when I forget to kiss the bishops hand when handing him some ecclesiastical bling bling  Roll Eyes)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 05:05:15 PM »

Our Bishop is most likely coming for our parish patron's upcoming feast day (+St. Mary of Egypt+), and it will also be my first time meeting a bishop.  But then again, I'm only a catechumen, so I can't possibly mess any thing up, because I'm still in training!  Anyway, I'm looking forward to the whole thing.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 06:07:02 PM »

My observation, after all my times serving with bishops, is that people get too nervous about it.  Relax - it's Liturgy.  Yes, we've re-introduced many missing elements when he comes; yes, some people are very uptight about kissing his hand and addressing him properly.  Don't let that mess with your head.

(If you're not afraid about approaching the Chalice containing the Body and Blood of our Lord, then why be afraid of the Bishop?)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:07:27 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »

Very good advice! For what it's worth, I've never been afraid of the Bishops (and I am a very easily intimidated person). I remember meeting Vladyka Laurus of blessed memory for the first time. He was so unassuming, gentle, and kind. I was amazed at how everyone would run up to the Bishop to receive his blessing-and soon I too, developed this practice. Of course, our altar servers always look extremely stressed after hierarchical services, which makes me very happy to be a woman!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:13:39 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »

(If you're not afraid about approaching the Chalice containing the Body and Blood of our Lord, then why be afraid of the Bishop?)

Because the Chalice tends to not yell at me in Greek over minutia Wink 
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 10:04:12 PM »

I am a little concerned because my kids and I are very "ethnic" in a way he has likely NEVER encountered before.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 10:58:55 PM »

I am a little concerned because my kids and I are very "ethnic" in a way he has likely NEVER encountered before.

Huh Huh?  Huh
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 11:15:56 PM »

Native names for my kids and the large metal ring in my nose. I would say a great deal of people think that you should have your saint name as you name at church. But there are no saint Oheo, Witalu or Ollokot's.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:16:38 PM by Quinault » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 11:22:44 PM »

But I thought I remember reading somewhere, Quin, that your children also have "Orthodox" names. There are many people I know who go by their former names and just use their saint's names when they come before the chalice etc. Forgive me if I am not understanding something.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 11:24:22 PM »

Native names for my kids and the large metal ring in my nose. I would say a great deal of people think that you should have your saint name as you name at church. But there are no saint Oheo, Witalu or Ollokot's.

Considering recent events in the AOA, if that is the biggest "issue" he has to deal with I think he'll be quite relieved.  If he has a problem, tell him to.... (on second thought, I want to keep my green dot from turning yellow, but you get the picture).  
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 11:25:30 PM »

I thought you were referring to ethnic Orthodox behavior other than being Native American.  Forgive me.   angel

I feel the Bishop saying, "The servant of god {Oheo, Witalu, Ollokot}" will not be an issue.   Smiley
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

But there are no saint Oheo, Witalu or Ollokot's.

Yet.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 12:33:44 AM »

But I thought I remember reading somewhere, Quin, that your children also have "Orthodox" names. There are many people I know who go by their former names and just use their saint's names when they come before the chalice etc. Forgive me if I am not understanding something.

Yes, we all have saint names as well. But other than at the chalice, we don't use them.

Tags: bishops 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: