Author Topic: Greek Catholics and Purgatory  (Read 16998 times)

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Distressed about my country
Re: Greek Catholics and Purgatory
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »
Technically all Catholics are required to accept the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory, this would include all Eastern and Oriental Catholics. The councils have pronounced anathemas on any who reject this doctrine.
However, very little about Purgatory has been defined in council. Basically, we know that there is purifcation after death for those who die in the State of Grace but still need some sanctification. We know that the purification is not fun (it involves some kind of suffering)....

Well, the Catholic catechism as quoted in this thread clearly states that Catholics must believe in a purifying fire, not just "some kind of suffering.".  If this is meant only in a metaphorical sense, then why doesn't it say so?
Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »
Technically all Catholics are required to accept the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory, this would include all Eastern and Oriental Catholics. The councils have pronounced anathemas on any who reject this doctrine.
However, very little about Purgatory has been defined in council. Basically, we know that there is purifcation after death for those who die in the State of Grace but still need some sanctification. We know that the purification is not fun (it involves some kind of suffering)....

Well, the Catholic catechism as quoted in this thread clearly states that Catholics must believe in a purifying fire, not just "some kind of suffering.".  If this is meant only in a metaphorical sense, then why doesn't it say so?
Provide the quote so that we can discuss it.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline AMM

• Archon
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2009, 09:58:37 PM »
If I was in purgatory, I would want none of this temporary satisfaction everyone is talking about.

Has anyone even polled the Catholics living in Greece what they think?  This may not even all be relevant without that data.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:16:31 PM by AMM »

Offline AMM

• Archon
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2009, 08:42:23 AM »
I wonder if these Catholics living in Greece believe the in the Gello and Stoicheia too.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2009, 10:37:22 PM »
It was an ugly split, but most posts about Purgatory that did not relate back to the Eastern-rite Catholics were merged into our Purgatory catch-all thread.  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13820.0.html

-- Nebelpfade
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:09:17 PM by Nebelpfade »
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS