OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 07:13:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are We (OCnet) American?  (Read 6092 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »

I use Canadian English on the board....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

^ I often write aboot humourous things. Wink

My spelling and syntax have become noticeably more international with the Internet. I've become more sensitive to the way other people communicate, so despite having always lived in Missouri, I feel that I don't really speak American English anymore.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »

So what does that mean? Your sentences all end with eh and you wonder when Quebec will decide to attempt secession again? <--- (joking of course)

-Nick
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:59:34 PM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2009, 03:41:17 PM »

Your sentences all end with eh

So it's not just New Zealanders who talk like that!  laugh laugh laugh
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2009, 03:44:51 PM »

Your sentences all end with eh

So it's not just New Zealanders who talk like that!  laugh laugh laugh

Someone needs to tell the New Zealanders that the first letter of the second word in their country is pronounced Zee, not Zed........

-Nick

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »

So what does that mean? Your sentences all end with eh and you wonder when Quebec will decide to attempt secession again? <--- (joking of course)

-Nick

It means...

As a Canadian, you have to be extra vigilant. There are a lot of impostors out there. If you suspect that someone is falsely trying to pass themselves off as a Canadian, make the following statement - and then carefully note their reaction:

"Last night, I cashed my pogey and went to buy a mickey of C.C. at the beer parlour, but my skidoo got stuck in the muskeg on my way back to the duplex. I was trying to deke out a deer, you see. Damn chinook, melted everything. And then a Mountie snuck up behind me in a ghost car and gave me an impaired. I was S.O.L., sitting there dressed only in my Stanfields and a toque at the time. And the Mountie, he's all chippy and everything, calling me a "**** disturber" and what not. What could I say, except, "Sorry, EH!"

If the person you are talking to nods sympathetically, they're one of us. If, however, they stare at you with a blank incomprehension, they are not a real Canadian. Have them reported to the authorities at once.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »

-Nick

It means...

As a Canadian, you have to be extra vigilant. There are a lot of impostors out there. If you suspect that someone is falsely trying to pass themselves off as a Canadian, make the following statement - and then carefully note their reaction:

"Last night, I cashed my pogey and went to buy a mickey of C.C. at the beer parlour, but my skidoo got stuck in the muskeg on my way back to the duplex. I was trying to deke out a deer, you see. Damn chinook, melted everything. And then a Mountie snuck up behind me in a ghost car and gave me an impaired. I was S.O.L., sitting there dressed only in my Stanfields and a toque at the time. And the Mountie, he's all chippy and everything, calling me a "**** disturber" and what not. What could I say, except, "Sorry, EH!"

If the person you are talking to nods sympathetically, they're one of us. If, however, they stare at you with a blank incomprehension, they are not a real Canadian. Have them reported to the authorities at once.

Wow, thats insane. You lost me at pogey....... Hahaha.  Well played. Ukiemeister 1 Nick 0

-Nick

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »

On a related note, my step father's caregiver, a Jamaican, was shocked when I pointed out that Elizabeth II was NOT the Queen of the U.S. too (it came up when I made a reference to "your queen" meeting with the President).

On a further tangent: when I was in Quebec, I remarked to my sons how the Quebecois are the only French in the World to be continuously under a monarch.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »

On a related note, my step father's caregiver, a Jamaican, was shocked when I pointed out that Elizabeth II was NOT the Queen of the U.S. too (it came up when I made a reference to "your queen" meeting with the President).

?!

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2009, 01:25:33 PM »

-Nick

Do not mess with Canadians Wink

After all, we fought the Yanks in 1812 and kicked them the hell out of our country - but not with blanks.
- Farley Mowat

It means...

Wow, thats insane. You lost me at pogey....... Hahaha.  Well played. Ukiemeister 1 Nick 0

-Nick

Don't mess with Canadians. Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:26:46 PM by Ukiemeister » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »

On a further tangent: when I was in Quebec, I remarked to my sons how the Quebecois are the only French in the World to be continuously under a monarch.

It's just cuz these uppity colonials think they are actually a nation....

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »

Any thought on this, ozgeorge?  Wink
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2009, 07:56:49 PM »

Maintenance of the board should be outsourced to India, and then will truly be American.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2009, 08:09:11 PM »

-Nick

It means...

LoL!  We rule.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »

Maintenance of the board should be outsourced to India, and then will truly be American.

ROFL!!! Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »

I was referring to the USA...technically any country with the Queen as their Head of State is a subject of the Commonwealth, and thus one nation....in a way at least.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »

Nah... We're only outsourcing the Technical Issues forum to India; all the discussion fora will be moderated from south of the border, and our server will be outsourced to Hong Kong.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »

As Robin Williams said, Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
AMM
Archon

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2009, 08:36:18 PM »

I think he also talked about the "personal hygiene" issues endemic among Canadians.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »

Robin Williams
...is diagnosed with Bipolar Affective Disorder.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »

At least he's not Canadian, it could be worse...
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »

There's a joke about Columbus in here somewhere. Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »

I was referring to the USA...technically any country with the Queen as their Head of State is a subject of the Commonwealth, and thus one nation....in a way at least.

Actually no, a personal union.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2009, 10:48:41 PM »

I actually read that India is outsourcing to Romania.  I kid you not.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2009, 11:06:03 PM »

Gypsies are from India, you know.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 01:11:39 AM »

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!  Smiley

Bi-racial: the best of two worlds! Grin And I tan easier than you, too! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:12:16 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 03:19:55 AM »

Gypsies are from India, you know.

Yes, and I thought of that immediately when I read the news (my Romanian ex has a lot of issues about being taken for a "tiganca").

Tags: ocnet 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: