OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:27:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gypsy Witchcraft? (Need advice: East Europe)  (Read 4350 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: March 18, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »

Dear Friends

I was in a country of Eastern Europe, where I met people and some girls.

One of these relationships was with a person who was probably gypsy. I asked her many times if she was, because her skin is actually darker than mine and her eyes are green. She always said she wasn't, but that her friend was, she said she didn't understand or speak the language spoke by her friend, etc. I must add that her family are all European-looking or seem to be so.

Well this person was able to manipulate me in a very bad way and to take advantage of me and all VERY EASILY even though I am not the kind of person that would be tricked so easy. But I happened to loose my will when dealing with her, even though she was lying and I knew this. I can't say I really felt love, it was a strange feeling, a feeling of "need of the person". Every time I tried to "escape" from her I failed, I couldn't. When I tried to find another person or break up with her "something" would always happen and I would eventually go back to "her arms".

That was a bad period in my life because even in my country I was also victim of another scam-fraud in business and it was so obvious that now I just can't believe that I could fall into this. But she was the one who made me loose more money and even loose another person that was probably better. She always managed to "convince" me of this because she said that "she had not given herself to any man like the other girls do".

She never liked my mother because she knew that she didn't like her and the way she was, that she opposed her.

A relative of mine asked a prayer group (for a different reason) to pray for us and I managed to ignore her and stop feeling this weird form of attachment to her. Well I tried to break up with her because I could not stand the way she manipulated me, I said I would not visit her next time I would be in Europe, she said that "my mother had convinced" me to break up with her. After that, my mother became ill when she ate a toothpick (how could she eat such a big toothpic?) at a restaurant and had to get surgery, we lost a lot of money, but she recovered.

All this was very strange. Then someone suggested me that she was probably using spells and some form of sorcery, and someone from her hometown confirmed that this was very possible. I did not pay atention to this, but last time I talked to her I noticed something strange, she begged me to send a picture of my mother, and a picture with me and her together. I did not send.

They have recommended me not to send pictures to this lady and not to visit her again.

Do these things happen in Europe? I thought this was not possible.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:10:21 PM by Mexican » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »

Do these things happen in Europe?
Yes, they do.
Witchcraft and sorcery are practised- in Greece, such a practitioner is called a "Magos" (for a male) and "Magisa" (for a female). This is where we get the word "magic" from.
 St. Cyprian the Former Sorcerer was a "Magos" before converting to Christianity- you can read about his life here: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/death/cyprian_justina.aspx

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »

Yes, things like this happen everywhere.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:47:46 PM »

...where I met people and some girls.
Cheesy Girls are not people?

One of these relationships was with a person who was probably gypsy.
I don't think being one ethnicity automatically determines a certain lifestyle, ime.  Romani may have certain reputations, but I don't think all of them are sorcerers and hucksters.

But are some of them?  Maybe.  But maybe you really liked this person and wanted to believe what they were telling you.  Maybe you even liked her romantically.  Whenever the heart gets involved, it's easy to let our defenses down and get fooled.  Hence the saying, "Love is blind."

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »

Maybe you should look at yourself and the reasons you responded to her the way you did rather than blaming your responses, situation, etc. on magic.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »

I would ask your priest to pray over you.  There should be prayers for this sort of situation.

"They mean it as a mark of shame, we must then wear it as a mark of hope..."
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/07/nun-sign-of-genocide.html
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:45:44 AM »

In Romania, there are lots of witches. Most of them are gipsies. It has something to do with their culture, I guess.
Probably most of them are frauds, but at least some of them aren't.
I'm not saying you are a victim of witchcraft. I'd say that it's more probable that you aren't.
But if you are, your friend might have gone to a witch instead of being herself one.
Judging by the fancy houses, jewlery and lifestyle of the witches in Eastern Europe, there are a lot of people who go to them.

Anyway, there are services agains witchcraft. But most important, it is about you.
When he was a wizard, Saint Cyprian tried to harm Saint Justine. But he couldn't do anything because of her faith in Christ. That's why he converted to Christianity.
My advice is to talk to your spiritual father. Pray, confess, receive communion as often as your spiritual father allows it, take antidoron and holy water, use holy oil.
Your priest might come to bless your house and/or read Saint Basil the Great's prayers.
Pray to Saint Cyprian.
There is a church in Bucharest where they have the right hand of Saint Cyprian. I could ask the priest there to pray for you, if you want.

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 04:33:56 AM »

In Podlachia there were some (now there are maybe two left) women, who are commonly believed by the Orthodox to be witches. They now are elderly women who treat people, even those incurable ill. They use Orthodox prayers, icons, incense in their practices.

They are being condemned by Priests but many people go there because they can treat even very serious and hard-to-cure afflictions. It is said that they move the diseases to the other people.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 07:30:24 AM »

In Podlachia there were some (now there are maybe two left) women, who are commonly believed by the Orthodox to be witches. They now are elderly women who treat people, even those incurable ill. They use Orthodox prayers, icons, incense in their practices.

They are being condemned by Priests but many people go there because they can treat even very serious and hard-to-cure afflictions. It is said that they move the diseases to the other people.

Hence the difference: doctors and holy men remove the diseases, not move them.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Simkins
Elder

Faith: Православный

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »

One of these relationships was with a person who was probably gypsy. I asked her many times if she was, because her skin is actually darker than mine and her eyes are green.

From wikipedia:

"Green eyes are most common in Northern Europe and Central Europe.[38][39] It can sometimes be found in part of West Asia, South Asia and North Africa [40] . A study of Icelandic and Dutch adults found that green eyes are much more prevalent in women than in men.[41] Almost 92% of the population in Iceland has either green or blue eye color.[42]

Among White Americans, green eyes are most common among those of Celtic and Germanic ancestry, about 16 percent.[43]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:41:42 PM »

Dear Friends

I was in a country of Eastern Europe, where I met people and some girls.

One of these relationships was with a person who was probably gypsy. I asked her many times if she was, because her skin is actually darker than mine and her eyes are green. She always said she wasn't, but that her friend was, she said she didn't understand or speak the language spoke by her friend, etc. I must add that her family are all European-looking or seem to be so.

Well this person was able to manipulate me in a very bad way and to take advantage of me and all VERY EASILY even though I am not the kind of person that would be tricked so easy. But I happened to loose my will when dealing with her, even though she was lying and I knew this. I can't say I really felt love, it was a strange feeling, a feeling of "need of the person". Every time I tried to "escape" from her I failed, I couldn't. When I tried to find another person or break up with her "something" would always happen and I would eventually go back to "her arms".

That was a bad period in my life because even in my country I was also victim of another scam-fraud in business and it was so obvious that now I just can't believe that I could fall into this. But she was the one who made me loose more money and even loose another person that was probably better. She always managed to "convince" me of this because she said that "she had not given herself to any man like the other girls do".

She never liked my mother because she knew that she didn't like her and the way she was, that she opposed her.

A relative of mine asked a prayer group (for a different reason) to pray for us and I managed to ignore her and stop feeling this weird form of attachment to her. Well I tried to break up with her because I could not stand the way she manipulated me, I said I would not visit her next time I would be in Europe, she said that "my mother had convinced" me to break up with her. After that, my mother became ill when she ate a toothpick (how could she eat such a big toothpic?) at a restaurant and had to get surgery, we lost a lot of money, but she recovered.

All this was very strange. Then someone suggested me that she was probably using spells and some form of sorcery, and someone from her hometown confirmed that this was very possible. I did not pay atention to this, but last time I talked to her I noticed something strange, she begged me to send a picture of my mother, and a picture with me and her together. I did not send.

They have recommended me not to send pictures to this lady and not to visit her again.

Do these things happen in Europe? I thought this was not possible.

My mom has told me a story several times, about how when she was a child she wondered if witches really existed.  She asked God to give her an answer in "randomly" flipping to a verse in the Bible.  When she did this, she came upon the verse describing Saul going to the witch of Endor. 

I remember reading in early Christian Writings (Penguin Books Edition--important because I think it was an endnote) that with the the coming of Christ, magic, formerly powerful, lost much of its power.  Not that it is completely gone--but with Christ it's nothing really to fear. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:45:14 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Tags: gypsies witchcraft  evil doing  sorcery  europe Roma evil eye 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: