OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:42:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who are your picks to go to Motown?  (Voting closed: March 27, 2009, 03:09:14 PM)
UNC - 8 (22.2%)
Louisville - 5 (13.9%)
Connecticut - 1 (2.8%)
Pittsburgh - 7 (19.4%)
Oklahoma - 1 (2.8%)
Duke - 3 (8.3%)
Memphis - 4 (11.1%)
Michigan State - 2 (5.6%)
Other - 5 (13.9%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NCAA final four  (Read 2167 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: March 17, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »

All four number one seeds are an option as well as the number 2s?  If you have other, please name them here.  Me, personally, I'm pulling for Mizzou, a three seed.  Go Tigers!  My other picks are UNC, Michigan State and Villanova.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:09:44 PM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »

My picks are UNC, Oklakhoma, Duke and Michigan State.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:16:05 PM »

Why don't you create a Yahoo or ESPN group?  I'll join.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:33:38 PM »

I have no dog in this fight, as basketball bores me, but I would like to see my alma mater (American U...GO EAGLES!) play Pittsburgh (hometown team...GO PANTHERS!) in the Eastern Div final.

With Pitt to take it all, if only to see my brother and father get excited and act like fools.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »

UNC, Louisville, Pitt, Missouri

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »

This is the first year in a long while that I haven't followed College Basketball at all; ironically, my two local teams (Cleveland State, my alma mater, and Akron U, which surrounds my church) have both made it, as has the state favorite Buckeyes.  So my picks are based on as much ignorance as trends... UNC over Duke, Memphis over Kansas.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »

FWIW, my alma mater has a team in the NCAA Div. III Women's Final Four.  Watch out for George Fox University women's basketball, both now and in the next few years to come.  Unbeaten (30-0) this year, and with TEN (10) freshmen on their team!  WOW!!! Shocked  Looks like Coach Scott Rueck has quite the mojo going there.  (Their 6-4 center, the team's lone senior, led the Bruins to the sectional finals win that landed them in the Final Four by blocking 10 shots.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:38:05 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:37:37 AM »

FWIW, my alma mater has a team in the NCAA Div. III Women's Final Four.  Watch out for George Fox University women's basketball, both now and in the next few years to come.  Unbeaten (30-0) this year, and with TEN (10) freshmen on their team!  WOW!!! Shocked  Looks like Coach Scott Rueck has quite the mojo going there.

Have they ever played a Division I team?   Grin
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 01:37:46 AM »

FWIW, my alma mater has a team in the NCAA Div. III Women's Final Four.  Watch out for George Fox University women's basketball, both now and in the next few years to come.  Unbeaten (30-0) this year, and with TEN (10) freshmen on their team!  WOW!!! Shocked  Looks like Coach Scott Rueck has quite the mojo going there.

Never heard of them.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 01:39:29 AM »

Never heard of them.
Yeah.  Division III.  Small school by NCAA standards.  I'm not surprised you've never heard of them.

Schools in NCAA Div. III aren't even permitted to award athletic scholarships, which, in theory, requires the athletes to actually be students first.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:41:43 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »

I wanted to put "other" and jot down Illinois (my home state), but I know that's just downright unrealistic.  One can imagine though! 

I went with the top 3, and instead of Connecticut I put Duke.  I just like Duke vs. UNC.  always a good game. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 12:15:33 AM »

FWIW, my alma mater has a team in the NCAA Div. III Women's Final Four.  Watch out for George Fox University women's basketball, both now and in the next few years to come.  Unbeaten (30-0) this year, and with TEN (10) freshmen on their team!  WOW!!! Shocked  Looks like Coach Scott Rueck has quite the mojo going there.  (Their 6-4 center, the team's lone senior, led the Bruins to the sectional finals win that landed them in the Final Four by blocking 10 shots.)
Just caught the latest update on the DIII Women's tourney.

The Lady Bruins of George Fox University (31-0) have advanced to the national title game by beating The College of New Jersey 67-52.  Their next and final opponent will be the University of Washington-St. Louis (26-4), whose men's basketball team also advanced to their DIII Final.  GO BRUINS!!! Grin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »

The Lady Bruins of George Fox University (31-0) have advanced to the national title game by beating The College of New Jersey 67-52.  Their next and final opponent will be the University of Washington-St. Louis (26-4), whose men's basketball team also advanced to their DIII Final.  GO BRUINS!!! Grin
BRUINS WIN!!! Grin  60-53 over Washington-St. Louis to finish their perfect season (32-0) and win the DIII National Championship.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »

Congratulations!  Now the Division I powers will want nothing to do with George Fox U.   Grin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »

Congratulations!  Now the Division I powers will want nothing to do with George Fox U.   Grin
So what.  Let the Division I powers play among themselves so they can leave Division III alone. Wink  (No use comparing those teams that award athletic scholarships to those that don't.)
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »

So what.  Let the Division I powers play among themselves so they can leave Division III alone. Wink  (No use comparing those teams that award athletic scholarships to those that don't.)

Some Division III teams can compete against Division I teams in sports like Lacrosse.

A Champion is a Champion in the eyes of the NCAA whether Div. I, II or III....  Grin  Roll Eyes  Grin

Edited for better word choice.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:50:11 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »

I found out that it's actually Washington University in St. Louis.  Oh well. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:53:56 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »

All four number one seeds are an option as well as the number 2s?  If you have other, please name them here.  Me, personally, I'm pulling for Mizzou, a three seed.  Go Tigers!  My other picks are UNC, Michigan State and Villanova.
Mizzou ? Aren`t they still Div. II ?

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
scamandrius
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »

Mo, you're a jerk! Grin

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 09:28:25 PM »

Mo, you're a jerk! Grin
Congrats to your Tigers ! Hope you can hang on to your coach !

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
scamandrius
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »

Mo, you're a jerk! Grin

Congrats to your Tigers ! Hope you can hang on to your coach !
Thanks, man.  I hope so, too.  He's a good man, exactly the opposite of Quin both on and off the court and I like the style of ball he coaches unlike Coach Q who basically sent his players out with a "Play nicely together" bit of advice and then went to comb his hair and snort some blow.

Congrats to your J-Hawks, too.  ALthough I have Mich. St. picked to win (I"m sorry; every time I have picked KU before, the've done horribly), the J-Hawks should give them a good game.

Fixed quote tags  -PtA
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:42:25 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 03:22:23 PM »

No pick. It's the Hoosiers or nobody for this Hoosier in exile in Pennsylvania.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: