OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 08:33:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Services in which Churches have you ever attented?
Church of Constantinople - 24 (16.1%)
Church of Alexandria - 2 (1.3%)
Church of Antioch - 22 (14.8%)
Church of Jeruzalem - 5 (3.4%)
Church of Moscow - 18 (12.1%)
Church of Georgia - 1 (0.7%)
Church of Serbia - 14 (9.4%)
Church of Romania - 14 (9.4%)
Church of Bulgaria - 5 (3.4%)
Church of Cyprus - 2 (1.3%)
Church of Greece - 12 (8.1%)
Church of Poland - 2 (1.3%)
Church of Albania - 2 (1.3%)
Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia - 1 (0.7%)
Orthodox Church in America - 25 (16.8%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for pilgrims!  (Read 1932 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: March 18, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »

Question is simple Smiley If it were a sub-jurisdiction or any autonomous/self-ruled Churches please mark the Church, where did it belong. Please also write some impressions about something unordinary for you.

In Bulgaria, for example, it was very strange for me that Holy Communion is given right before the end of the Liturgy (after post-Communion prayers) and is given separately.

During Vespers in the St. George Cathedral in Constantinople it was rather surprising that apart from me and my family members there were only two security guards, two cantors and one Priest.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:31:50 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »

What does the Australian Archdiocese come under?

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »

Ecumenical Patriarchate as almost every "Greek" Church structure outside of Greece, I suppose.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:57:39 PM »

Eh, when I was in Constantinople at St. George there were 30 people besides our group for Saturday Vespers.

In Greece I was touched by the quaint village custom: people didn't know when Church would start, but when the bell would ring they knew they had 10 minutes.  Of course, in Athens I was shocked at how few went to Church.

I've always been impressed with (although I don't find it aesthetically pleasing for worship) Romanian church music.  Vespers for the 100th anniversary of St. Mary's in Cleveland (oldest Romanian parish in the US) was great.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »

Eh, when I was in Constantinople at St. George there were 30 people besides our group for Saturday Vespers.

In Greece I was touched by the quaint village custom: people didn't know when Church would start, but when the bell would ring they knew they had 10 minutes.  Of course, in Athens I was shocked at how few went to Church.

I've always been impressed with (although I don't find it aesthetically pleasing for worship) Romanian church music.  Vespers for the 100th anniversary of St. Mary's in Cleveland (oldest Romanian parish in the US) was great.

What do you not find aesthetically pleasing?  Maybe it is only PART of their tradition that you don't like.  ISTM that many do not realize that both Serbia and Romania do a combination of "Slavic" (e.g. more western/choral-like) and Byzantine chant.  I'm not sure how it breaks out (geographically speaking - maybe there isn't one), but Romania is roughly northern half - Slavic-style, southern half - Byz chant.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:58:40 AM »

The Romanian church here in London uses Byzantine chant only. During the Pan-Orthodox Vespers, where the Greeks tend to be no-shows, it is usually the cantors from the Romanian church that will sing the Byzantine hymns in Greek.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »

What do you not find aesthetically pleasing?  Maybe it is only PART of their tradition that you don't like.  ISTM that many do not realize that both Serbia and Romania do a combination of "Slavic" (e.g. more western/choral-like) and Byzantine chant.  I'm not sure how it breaks out (geographically speaking - maybe there isn't one), but Romania is roughly northern half - Slavic-style, southern half - Byz chant. 

Oh, I find the music beautiful - I just don't like it in a worship setting.  I don't have an objection on any ground other than I don't like multi-part harmonized music in worship.  It's beautiful music, though, and I do appreciate that.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

BUMP!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:22:05 PM »

Not EO, but I will be attending an Armenian Church on the 16th.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 12:07:05 AM »

I have been to Greek Archdiocese churches, but didnt put down Church of Greece, because I think the GOA is under the EP , ie Church of Constantinople.
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 02:20:51 AM »

In Bulgaria, for example, it was very strange for me that Holy Communion is given right before the end of the Liturgy (after post-Communion prayers) and is given separately.

Interesting... If not too personal, where was that?

I know in some churches they give the Holy Communion at the end, in some at the proper time. Personally, in most churches I have been, they give it after "with fear of God, faith, and love...".

But I have never seen distribution of the Body and Blood separately. In Bulgaria, in several places only, the Liturgy of St. James is served once or twice a year, in which the Holy Communion is given separately, but I have never attended such.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 03:22:38 AM »

Interesting... If not too personal, where was that?

Cathedral in Varna.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 04:51:40 AM »

Checked The Albainian box,attended one here in chicago venerated the weeping icona of the Theotokos ,not in albainia though...
Ukrainia seems to be missing.... Huh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »

Checked The Albainian box,attended one here in chicago venerated the weeping icona of the Theotokos ,not in albainia though...
Ukrainia seems to be missing.... Huh

If you were in a canonical Ukrainian church, it was in the USA under the Church of Constantinople, like the GOA is.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »

I normally attend an OCA Church 2-3 times a week (thank God for my mom, who is the BEST taxi to Church in the world!)

when I went to a Greek Church, I LOVED the Greek language in the liturgy.  I also loved the byzantine chant (we have some at my OCA Church, but as we were a Serbian/Russian Church before the OCA, we still have many Slavic traditions)

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: