OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 02:25:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopia, an Astonishing Christianity on African Soil  (Read 819 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: March 18, 2009, 05:19:48 AM »

Ethiopia, an Astonishing Christianity on African Soil

An exhibition in Venice sheds light on a Church that is almost unknown in the rest of the world, and yet is numerous and flourishing, with extremely ancient origins and strong Jewish traits. "Dark and lovely," like the queen of Sheba

by Sandro Magister

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1337571?eng=y

Btw, I've been a great fan of Sandro Magister's articles for years and heartily recommend that people sign up for notifications of his new articles.  He has produced some really good material on Orthodoxy as regards the Roman Catholic-Orthodox dialogue (and the lack of it at times.)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:25:51 AM »

Ethiopia, an Astonishing Christianity on African Soil

An exhibition in Venice sheds light on a Church that is almost unknown in the rest of the world, and yet is numerous and flourishing, with extremely ancient origins and strong Jewish traits. "Dark and lovely," like the queen of Sheba

by Sandro Magister

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1337571?eng=y

Btw, I've been a great fan of Sandro Magister's articles for years and heartily recommend that people sign up for notifications of his new articles.  He has produced some really good material on Orthodoxy as regards the Roman Catholic-Orthodox dialogue (and the lack of it at times.)

When my old parish moved, I was saddened that the deal with an Ethiopian congregation fell through.  Now it's a Baptist Church. Sad

I'd like the Ethiopians to take on the Nation of Islam more.  They make the NI line seem all the more ridiculous.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »

Irish Hermit,

Thank you for the link to an interesting article on Ethiopian Christianity. I have read the article and liked it very much. But I have also found out that there is a statement in the article that needs correction. It says that Ethiopians are bound to the monophysite faith which recognizes only the divine nature of Christ. This is not correct. Our Church maintains that Christ is perfect God and perfect man, at once consubstantial with the Father and with us. That is what “Tewahido” is all about. We reject “monophysitism” because of its error in vocabulary and use “Tewahido” which perfectly shows our faith concerning the nature of Christ.

Regards,

Hiywot
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: