Memphis
4 (11.1%)
Michigan State
2 (5.6%)
Other
5 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: March 27, 2009, 03:09:14 PM

Author Topic: NCAA final four  (Read 2340 times)

Online scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
NCAA final four
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »
All four number one seeds are an option as well as the number 2s?  If you have other, please name them here.  Me, personally, I'm pulling for Mizzou, a three seed.  Go Tigers!  My other picks are UNC, Michigan State and Villanova.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:09:44 PM by scamandrius »
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Starlight

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
Re: NCAA final four
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »
My picks are UNC, Oklakhoma, Duke and Michigan State.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:16:05 PM »
Why don't you create a Yahoo or ESPN group?  I'll join.

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:33:38 PM »
I have no dog in this fight, as basketball bores me, but I would like to see my alma mater (American U...GO EAGLES!) play Pittsburgh (hometown team...GO PANTHERS!) in the Eastern Div final.

With Pitt to take it all, if only to see my brother and father get excited and act like fools.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline admiralnick

• Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »
UNC, Louisville, Pitt, Missouri
The ORIGINAL: "NULL"

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »
This is the first year in a long while that I haven't followed College Basketball at all; ironically, my two local teams (Cleveland State, my alma mater, and Akron U, which surrounds my church) have both made it, as has the state favorite Buckeyes.  So my picks are based on as much ignorance as trends... UNC over Duke, Memphis over Kansas.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
FWIW, my alma mater has a team in the NCAA Div. III Women's Final Four.  Watch out for George Fox University women's basketball, both now and in the next few years to come.  Unbeaten (30-0) this year, and with TEN (10) freshmen on their team!  WOW!!! :o  Looks like Coach Scott Rueck has quite the mojo going there.  (Their 6-4 center, the team's lone senior, led the Bruins to the sectional finals win that landed them in the Final Four by blocking 10 shots.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:38:05 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:37:37 AM »
FWIW, my alma mater has a team in the NCAA Div. III Women's Final Four.  Watch out for George Fox University women's basketball, both now and in the next few years to come.  Unbeaten (30-0) this year, and with TEN (10) freshmen on their team!  WOW!!! :o  Looks like Coach Scott Rueck has quite the mojo going there.

Have they ever played a Division I team?   ;D

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 01:37:46 AM »
FWIW, my alma mater has a team in the NCAA Div. III Women's Final Four.  Watch out for George Fox University women's basketball, both now and in the next few years to come.  Unbeaten (30-0) this year, and with TEN (10) freshmen on their team!  WOW!!! :o  Looks like Coach Scott Rueck has quite the mojo going there.

Never heard of them.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 01:39:29 AM »

Never heard of them.
Yeah.  Division III.  Small school by NCAA standards.  I'm not surprised you've never heard of them.

Schools in NCAA Div. III aren't even permitted to award athletic scholarships, which, in theory, requires the athletes to actually be students first.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:41:43 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • MichaƂ Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »
I wanted to put "other" and jot down Illinois (my home state), but I know that's just downright unrealistic.  One can imagine though! 

I went with the top 3, and instead of Connecticut I put Duke.  I just like Duke vs. UNC.  always a good game. 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 12:15:33 AM »
FWIW, my alma mater has a team in the NCAA Div. III Women's Final Four.  Watch out for George Fox University women's basketball, both now and in the next few years to come.  Unbeaten (30-0) this year, and with TEN (10) freshmen on their team!  WOW!!! :o  Looks like Coach Scott Rueck has quite the mojo going there.  (Their 6-4 center, the team's lone senior, led the Bruins to the sectional finals win that landed them in the Final Four by blocking 10 shots.)
Just caught the latest update on the DIII Women's tourney.

The Lady Bruins of George Fox University (31-0) have advanced to the national title game by beating The College of New Jersey 67-52.  Their next and final opponent will be the University of Washington-St. Louis (26-4), whose men's basketball team also advanced to their DIII Final.  GO BRUINS!!! ;D

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »

The Lady Bruins of George Fox University (31-0) have advanced to the national title game by beating The College of New Jersey 67-52.  Their next and final opponent will be the University of Washington-St. Louis (26-4), whose men's basketball team also advanced to their DIII Final.  GO BRUINS!!! ;D
BRUINS WIN!!! ;D  60-53 over Washington-St. Louis to finish their perfect season (32-0) and win the DIII National Championship.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
Congratulations!  Now the Division I powers will want nothing to do with George Fox U.   ;D

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »
Congratulations!  Now the Division I powers will want nothing to do with George Fox U.   ;D
So what.  Let the Division I powers play among themselves so they can leave Division III alone. ;)  (No use comparing those teams that award athletic scholarships to those that don't.)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »
So what.  Let the Division I powers play among themselves so they can leave Division III alone. ;)  (No use comparing those teams that award athletic scholarships to those that don't.)

Some Division III teams can compete against Division I teams in sports like Lacrosse.

A Champion is a Champion in the eyes of the NCAA whether Div. I, II or III....  ;D  ::)  ;D

Edited for better word choice.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:50:11 PM by SolEX01 »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »

I found out that it's actually Washington University in St. Louis.  Oh well. :-[
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:53:56 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Mo the Ethio

• Proud Capitalist
  • Elder
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »
All four number one seeds are an option as well as the number 2s?  If you have other, please name them here.  Me, personally, I'm pulling for Mizzou, a three seed.  Go Tigers!  My other picks are UNC, Michigan State and Villanova.
Mizzou ? Aren`t they still Div. II ?
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

Online scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »

Mo, you're a jerk! ;D

Offline Mo the Ethio

• Proud Capitalist
  • Elder
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 09:28:25 PM »

Mo, you're a jerk! ;D
Congrats to your Tigers ! Hope you can hang on to your coach !
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

Online scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »

Mo, you're a jerk! ;D

Congrats to your Tigers ! Hope you can hang on to your coach !
Thanks, man.  I hope so, too.  He's a good man, exactly the opposite of Quin both on and off the court and I like the style of ball he coaches unlike Coach Q who basically sent his players out with a "Play nicely together" bit of advice and then went to comb his hair and snort some blow.

Congrats to your J-Hawks, too.  ALthough I have Mich. St. picked to win (I"m sorry; every time I have picked KU before, the've done horribly), the J-Hawks should give them a good game.

Fixed quote tags  -PtA
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:42:25 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline rwprof

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 03:22:23 PM »
No pick. It's the Hoosiers or nobody for this Hoosier in exile in Pennsylvania.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!