OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:24:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Doxology: Place of Each Person?  (Read 556 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: March 14, 2009, 03:46:46 PM »

The doxology: "Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, always now and ever, unto the ages of ages.  Amen." 

On another forum, a Catholic forum, a member with whom I was discussing the filioque claimed that the doxology establishes the place of each person of the Trinity. 

I understand that the order of Father, Son and Holy Spirit reflects the economy of revelation.  But, besides this, is there a hierarchy within the Trinity?  It does not seem so to me, but I could be wrong.  From what I understand, the Father is greater than the Son because He is unoriginate.  But the Son greater than the Holy Spirit?  I wouldn't think that an Orthodox belief. (I wouldn't think Latin Catholics would openly claim this either though...)
Your comments are appreciated. 

It also seems to me that, in Latin theology of the Trinity, there is a chain of divine activity--from Father to Son to Holy Spirit; 1, 2, 3.  Does this necessitate a hierarchy of persons according to the Latin understanding of the Trinity?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:57:30 PM by StGeorge » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »

The doxology: "Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, always now and ever, unto the ages of ages.  Amen." 

On another forum, a Catholic forum,
Anyone one we know?  police Roll Eyes police
a member with whom I was discussing the filioque claimed that the doxology establishes the place of each person of the Trinity.

Not even the Vatican so teaches.

I understand that the order of Father, Son and Holy Spirit reflects the economy of revelation.  But, besides this, is there a hierarchy within the Trinity?  It does not seem so to me, but I could be wrong.  From what I understand, the Father is greater than the Son because He is unoriginate.  But the Son greater than the Holy Spirit?  I wouldn't think that an Orthodox belief. (I wouldn't think Latin Catholics would openly claim this either though...)
Your comments are appreciated. 

It also seems to me that, in Latin theology of the Trinity, there is a chain of divine activity--from Father to Son to Holy Spirit; 1, 2, 3.  Does this necessitate a hierarchy of persons according to the Latin understanding of the Trinity?

They seem not to be sure.

Btw, on the Doxology: the original wording was "Glory to the Father, throught the Son, in the Holy Spirit" so it was the economic Trinity, how we are enabled to give glory to God.  It was changed in reaction to the Arians and the Pneumachoi, to emphasize the equality of the Persons in One Essence.  So your friend is utterly wrong.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: filioque theology Trinity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: