OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:03:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNIQUE CHILDREN'S CHOIR FROM RUSSIA  (Read 1123 times) Average Rating: 0
Hypo-Ortho
« on: October 15, 2003, 01:00:41 PM »

From the October 12, 2002, parish bulletin of St. Peter and St. Paul Russian Orthodox Church, Springfield, MA:

"RUSSIAN PRIEST WITH 50 ADOPTED CHILDREN COMES TO SPRINGFIELD: HIS YOUTH CHOIR JUST PART OF HUGE CHARITABLE ENTERPRISE

"A unique children's choir from Orenburg, Russia, is coming to the Springfield area on November 6th and will be here for two days.  The group of 10 children is just a part of 53 orphans who were adopted by a remarkable Russian Orthodox priest.

"Some quick background.  In 1990, Fr. Nikolai Stremsky was appointed to a dilapidated church in the remote Orenburg region of Russia.  Over the following 12 years the energetic priest and his wife adopted AS HIS OWN CHILDREN 53 orphans; completely rebuilt the church; founded a free school for his own and other area children; started an old age home and a lay service group to help them.  His religious community ALSO INCLUDES a bakery and sewing factory which provide this expansive family and extended community with free clothing and food.  In 1999, His Holiness, Patriarch ALEXEI II came to Orenburg with the express purpose of seeing with his own eyes this remarkable initiative.

"Having found, among this large family, a number of very talented singers, Fr. Nikolai organized a children's chorus.  Their repertoire includes a variety of Russian folk and spiritual music.

"We are organizing two fundraising concerts in the Springfield area that can help this amazing family.  Fr. Nikolai will be happy to answer all your questions and share his experience after the concerts."

118 Carew Street, Springfield, MA 01104

Cordially Invites You To

A CONCERT OF RUSSIAN SACRED AND FOLK MUSIC

performed by

A Children's Choir from the Holy Trinity
        Orthodox Mercy House

(Saraktash, Orenburg region, RUSSIA)

Proceeds will go towards programs to help the
children and the elderly of the Mercy House

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2003, 7:15 PM
  Entrance $10+ FREE WILL DONATION

for more information call (413) 734-8472
"Father of the largest family in Russia, Orthodox Priest Nikolai Stremsky, the Father Superior of the Holy Trinity Cloister of Mercy in Saraktash settlement, appeals to you.  Since 1992 I and my wife Galina have been bringing up the orphan children taken from orphanages.  There are 53 children in the family now.  The children grow and so do expenditures.  Despite the help and donations of the merciful people, our family experiences urgent need for means, especially at present, as our children are becoming teenagers.  Our family needs your support.  I beg you to do what you can to help for the maintenance of our family.  GOD SAVES YOU FOR MANY YEARS!"

THANKS!

Hypo-Ortho

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 02:37:03 PM »

Just a reminder to all: This unique Children's Choir will be performing at St. Peter and St. Paul Russian Orthodox Church, 118 Carew Street, Springfield, MA, THIS FRIDAY EVENING, Nov. 7, 2003, at 7:15 PM--tickets may be had at the door of the church and are still available.

On THURSDAY evening, Nov. 6, 2003, at 7:15 PM, the same choir will perform at Providence Place, Ingleside, HOLYOKE, MA.  Tickets available at the door.

The choir and their four adult mentors will be staying at the rectory of St. Peter and St. Paul Church during their two-day stay in the Springfield area.

If you are in the area or live a reasonable distance from Springfield (e.g., Providence, RI), please make an effort to attend the concerts on one of these two nights.  Proceeds benefit the children and the Holy Trinity Orthodox House of Mercy in Saraktash settlement, Orenburg Region, Russia.

Thanks!  And once again, thanks to anastasios for permission to print this.

Hypo-Ortho
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 03:26:24 PM »

Hmmm... if my train arrives in Boston on time, perhaps I can convince my uncles or grandparents to lend me their car so I can go see this... looks very interesting.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: