OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:13:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I Sing/Chant My Prayers?  (Read 1624 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: March 11, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »

Please forgive my ignorance, but I want to know if I am supposed to sing or chant my litany prayers such as the Jesus Prayer and the other prayers that form my Ethiopian Orthodox "Rosary." I have heard this being done on the internet, but I am not sure if only Priests are supposed to pray in this manner or if the laity are to do so as well.

During Lent I have been leading my family in the Orthodox Rosary prayers every night, and I need to know if we should be singing or chanting these prayers. If so, should I be taught how to do this or should I just follow the examples that I hear to the best of my ability?

OK, thanks for some enlightenment on this matter.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »

Fwiw, I had a similar question at the end of last year, which resulted in this thread. I guess the answers are from the Eastern Orthodox perspective, but I don't really know about Oriental Orthodox practices.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:37:14 PM »

Gebre,

I don't know if this is any help, at all. But when I first converted to Orthodoxy, my priest at the time, told me not to chant morning/evening prayers, etc. It's been awhile, and I don't remember the reason for this - or if there even was a reason!   Smiley

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:46:54 PM »

I chanted/sang my prayers with my children tonight. We all found that this helped us to focus and meditate better on the words we were praying. I do not have a good singing voice, so I just tried to keep it very simple and emulate what I have heard from others.

But I guess I should ask my Priest to be sure. It is difficult to get in touch with him though, which is why I ask so many questions on this site.

Thanks. I hope more answers will be forthcoming.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 05:44:46 AM »

I can see nothing wrong in using a simple chant to pray the Hours. Indeed one of the reasons we chant is because in a group it does keep a certain flow going to the prayers, and it does make it easier to participate and concentrate on the words. Everyone knows where the prayers are going.

The prayers which we use in our personal and family lives are for us to use and benefit from. If it is more helpful for you to chant them then chanting them is fine as far as I can see. They are not an absolute fixed form and content which must not be modified in any way, they are a useful and valuable tool to help us achieve the true end of our spiritual life which is to acquire the Holy Spirit.

God bless you

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org
Study the Orthodox Faith online with the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies
http://www.lsocs.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »

I can see nothing wrong in using a simple chant to pray the Hours. Indeed one of the reasons we chant is because in a group it does keep a certain flow going to the prayers, and it does make it easier to participate and concentrate on the words. Everyone knows where the prayers are going.

The prayers which we use in our personal and family lives are for us to use and benefit from. If it is more helpful for you to chant them then chanting them is fine as far as I can see. They are not an absolute fixed form and content which must not be modified in any way, they are a useful and valuable tool to help us achieve the true end of our spiritual life which is to acquire the Holy Spirit.

God bless you

Father Peter

Thank you Father Peter.

Selam

Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: