OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:45:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the term, Synod, an ancient term?  (Read 1129 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: March 10, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »

I was in a bar on Forgiveness Sunday and engaged in discussion with an individual about the Orthodox faith.  Every time I mentioned the word Synod (or Council like the Ecumenical Councils), he told me that the term was both archaic and historical.  Since the individual doesn't give much credit to history, he believes that a lot of events and history have been made up and, hence, not "real."  I insisted and used the term Synod although I did subsitute Meeting as a more modern definition of Synod just to see if this individual would get the point (which he didn't).

So, is there a better way to explain what is a Synod and how a Synod operates to someone who is a lapsed Christian, non-denominational, et al.?  Mods, please move elsewhere if necessary.   Smiley
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:57:36 PM »

In a BAR on Forgiveness Sunday?  Is outrage!   Cheesy

I hope the conversation was with an Orthodox person and it included your last beers and some cheesy food.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »

^Where else would you be on forgiveness Sunday?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:08:32 PM »

Ask this person what he thinks of words like forumGrin
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:39:33 PM »

The word "synod" comes from:
SYN= "together", "alike"
ODOS= "way", "travel"

It means, literally, to "share the same way" and is used as such in the New Testament. For example, when Our Lord's family were returning from Jerusalem for the Passover when He was twelve, the group of kinsmen travelling together are referred to as a "synod":
"But they, supposing him to have been in the company (synod), went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance." (Luke 2:44)

And again, those who travelled with Saul on the road to Damascus when he was struck down were also a "synod":
"And those who journeyed with him (synodeuontes) stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one" (Acts 9:7)

What is interesting to note is that before our Faith was called "Christianity" it was called "The Way":
"About that time there arose a great disturbance about the Way." (Acts 19:23)
"I persecuted the followers of this Way to their death, arresting both men and women and throwing them into prison,"(Acts 22:4)
"Then Felix, who was well acquainted with the Way, adjourned the proceedings. "When Lysias the commander comes," he said, "I will decide your case."" (Acts 24:22)

Therefore a meeting of those who follow The Way ("odos") is, technically, a "Synodos" (Synod).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:44:26 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »

^ I was racking my brain thinking of the English meaning of Synod, which might have better persuaded this person (who was non-Orthodox).  I know Οδοσ translates as road, way, path and my brain was stuck on road.

Other than Pepsi, coffee & water, I did not drink anything alcoholic in the bar and left with a cold due to bad food, snowy weather, stress, some other cause?   Huh

I did have a beer on Monday night during a trivia competition.   angel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: