Author Topic: Mormon to Othodoxy converts share your conversion stories  (Read 22128 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Mormon to Othodoxy converts share your conversion stories
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »
If the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom had won, we would probably be dealing with Taiping Christianity today as a major rival to the Mormons for weirdness.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
If the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom had won, we would probably be dealing with Taiping Christianity today as a major rival to the Mormons for weirdness.
Oh my God, I had no idea of the religious background of the Taiping Rebellion. Amazing.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
It's an incredible story. Should be more widely known. 
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2019, 04:22:45 PM »
Something slightly similar happened in Brazil some decades later. Look up for the War of Canudos. The English Wikipedia article is quite limited on some of the most bizarre details (such as peasants beheading republican military expedition leaders twice, the amazing resistance of the populace or Conselheiro's prophecies mixing monarchism, Christian millenarism and Portuguese folklore).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:26:04 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »
Something slightly similar happened in Brazil some decades later. Look up for the War of Canudos. The English Wikipedia article is quite limited on some of the most bizarre details (such as peasants beheading republican military expedition leaders twice, the amazing resistance of the populace or Conselheiro's prophecies mixing monarchism, Christian millenarism and Portuguese folklore).

Thanks, I'll have to look into this later.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2019, 05:20:27 PM »
One thing I'm really curious about, regarding Mormonism, and hopefully someone here has some information:

What is the absolute, pre-eternal principle? We would say "God" but Mormons apply the term "God" to a being who was himself the son of another "God" ad infinitum. He was a human being like us who become God by obeying the law. So presumably this (impersonal?) law would be the highest principle, even above the Heavenly Father and his infinite regress of fathers... but it doesn't seem Mormons have much to say about this.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2019, 12:39:33 PM »
Looking (googling) further into this, and I hope someone who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong, I get the impression that the question of the absolute is quite a gap in mainstream Mormonism. That is, no one seems to really address it or consider it an important question. I saw a book by Nels L Nelson called "Scientific Aspects of Mormonism" where he discusses an eternal, uncreated principle of "ego" or "self-consciousness". At first I thought, "Aha, here is a Mormon absolute" but it becomes clear he is talking about the individual, atomized ego, perceiving itself separate from everything else, which is incapable of anything but a bare act of assent or rejection without the intervention of God- God not being an absolute God but one of the men-made-gods. So it seems there is an absolute dualism in Mormonism, that is, between I-and-Thou, even though the I can become just like the Thou. I guess that, then, is really the ultimate principle of Mormonism- this utter personalism without any one supreme Person above or transcending the individual personalities.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »
Looking (googling) further into this, and I hope someone who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong, I get the impression that the question of the absolute is quite a gap in mainstream Mormonism. That is, no one seems to really address it or consider it an important question. I saw a book by Nels L Nelson called "Scientific Aspects of Mormonism" where he discusses an eternal, uncreated principle of "ego" or "self-consciousness". At first I thought, "Aha, here is a Mormon absolute" but it becomes clear he is talking about the individual, atomized ego, perceiving itself separate from everything else, which is incapable of anything but a bare act of assent or rejection without the intervention of God- God not being an absolute God but one of the men-made-gods. So it seems there is an absolute dualism in Mormonism, that is, between I-and-Thou, even though the I can become just like the Thou. I guess that, then, is really the ultimate principle of Mormonism- this utter personalism without any one supreme Person above or transcending the individual personalities.
Individualism at its finest.