OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 11:52:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did your Parish commemorate your local bishop at the Liturgy this past Sunday?
Yes - 6 (30%)
No - 14 (70%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll for Antiochian Members re Commemoration  (Read 3417 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: March 10, 2009, 08:24:02 AM »

It would be interesting to know if Antiochian priests and parishes are ceasing to commemorate their local Hierarchs.   I can imagine, given the love and loyalty which must have developed over the years, that obeying the Directive of non-commemoration could be a difficult thing to do.

My own poor prayers, and I am sure the prayers of others, are supporting the Antiochian faithful at this stressful time.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »

Bishop Thomas was visiting on Orthodoxy Sunday so I will have to see if he will be commemorated on  St. Gregory Palamas Sunday. The bishops in the Feb 24th synod were commemorated also.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

No we didn't. The deacon almost said the bishop's name but caught himself. We did however commemorate his name during the Compline services we had through last week but we didn't during Vespers and Liturgy on Sunday. It is really sad that we can't commemorate Bishop MARK anymore.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:10:45 PM »

No more mentions of Bishop BASIL.  A lot of people noticed that during Compline last night and asked about it.  They are equally outraged by what is going on.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 05:22:09 PM »

Bishop Mark was indeed mentioned.

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »

"Among the first be mindful of our Father Metropolitan PHILLIP and our Father Bishop Joseph....."  Was said during liturgy as normal.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »

I voted, but won't say how at the moment.  One of our priests (we have an Arab and a convert), is rather well known.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »

I imagine the change for our parish will take a bit of time, maybe next week they will do the switch. We just had to do a complete a liturgy overhaul. We sang sections that we were instructed to no longer sing and we had to change the language to an older phrasing. They took a couple months to completely change over. Our priest announced the decision after Liturgy Sunday. But since I have a loud busy son, I didn't hear what he said since I had to take that son out of the nave.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:44:22 PM »

Really?  You completely changed your music?  Not just the commemoration.  That sounds rather extreme.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

This change was ennacted months ago. Apparently we were being "more OCA like" by singing the creed and having more modern english. So we were instructed to change. I miss singing the creed. It helped me remember it. Sad
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:28:04 PM »

This change was ennacted months ago. Apparently we were being "more OCA like" by singing the creed and having more modern english. So we were instructed to change. I miss singing the creed. It helped me remember it. Sad
Gotcha.  thanks.  Well, my OCA parish probably uses "less modern" English than the majority - especially if you compare with parishes back east. 
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I can remember the creed word for word when I sing it, but just saying it I don't have the spacing and cadences to help me remember what comes next.  It seems strange that the Antiochian church would be concerned about being too much like the OCA.  Why would it make any difference?  We're in communion with each other, so it's not like either way is technically wrong.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »

I think the change was made so that all Antiochian liturgies are the same as a whole. So it was for consistency more than anything.
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:30:01 AM »

Gotcha.  thanks.  Well, my OCA parish probably uses "less modern" English than the majority - especially if you compare with parishes back east. 

Having gone from Antiochian to OCA, the latter use a beautiful translation, but it is, indeed, more "modern" English than the Antiochian translation. It isn't usually radically different, just enough to trip you up. The worst, however, is the Prayer before Communion. I still fall into the Antiochian prayer, and get completely lost toward the end, when it is very different. My priest says the Antiochians initially took the text from the Anglicans when the translation existed, which accounts for the "antiquated" English. The Antiochian translations are beautiful English, reminiscent of KJV English, whereas the OCA translations are more RSV English.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 05:33:40 AM »

Antiochian:
Not unto judgment nor unto condemnation be my partaking of Thy Holy Mysteries, O Lord, but unto the healing of soul and body.

OCA:
May the communion of Thy Holy Mysteries be neither to my judgment, nor to my condemnation, O Lord, but to the healing of soul and body.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 06:59:52 AM »

Bishop Thomas was not commemorated during the Presanctified Liturgy of Wednesday March 11th.

Antiochian OC N.A.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »

If I may also ask who WAS commemorated, that would be great (if any of you could provide that information)! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 09:29:06 AM »

Metropolitan Philip.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Lily

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »

I forgot to set my clock forward for Daylight Savings.   Undecided  I was an hour late.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »

I forgot to set my clock forward for Daylight Savings.   Undecided  I was an hour late.

Yet another reason why us Queenslanders are happily free of clock hiccups Cool

~~~
On the main topic, forgive me for being poorly informed please but why aren't the Antiochians commemorating their bishops?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 01:16:23 PM »

On the main topic, forgive me for being poorly informed please but why aren't the Antiochians commemorating their bishops?
There is a huge topic on the forum about the issue: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19965.0.html

In a few sentences:
Holy Synod of Antiochan Church made all diocesan Bishops no longer diocesan Bishops but only Metropolitan's vicars and Auxiliary (is spelling correct?) Bishops. They do not longer head their former Dioceses.

They can be commemorated during the DL only when they are present.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »

~~~

Funny I should see this today.  This Sunday we had a chorbishop from India visiting.  He mentioned that chorbishops used to have authority, but now they are just under the metropolitan.  We all laughed and said, "we know how that goes."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »

~~~

Funny I should see this today.  This Sunday we had a chorbishop from India visiting.  He mentioned that chorbishops used to have authority, but now they are just under the metropolitan.  We all laughed and said, "we know how that goes."

who did he commemorate? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »

~~~

who did he commemorate? 

Who?  The chorbishop or the priest?

The chorbishop didn't concelebrate, so nobody.

The priest commemorated Met. Philip, and then among "our brethren in Christ, our bishop Mark."

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: